clones from topping, how much can i cut off

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Jiffysmokedaily, Nov 3, 2011.

1. I was just about to top my girls but also wanted to get some more colnes as well. I know that I want to take clones with 3 sets of leaves to raise odds of cutting rooting but I read that when I top I am not supposed to take more than one set....??? Anyone know from experience? ??

2. really?

no three sets would probably be More than enough.

3. Ok my real question is is it going to hurt my plant that I am topping, anyone with experience

4. good question, is your plant 6 inches tall with its 4th set of leaves or 12" with a healthy well established root system trained like an upside down umbrella?

just kiddin, but a 'visual' would be handy

5. Yes they are more than 12 inches and have great roots I just don't want to stress my plants more than they will from the topping and I don't want to waste my rockwool cubes on cuttings that wont root

6. bump, i have no experience with rockwool cubes I may have some experience with straight soil/peat moss with a plastic wrap humidity dome over a heating pad on low, and Budslinger's diy bubble cloner

i don't want to offer you any poor advice and again no experience with rockwool..

If you haven't already done so, I Would pinch back your growth tip like the F.I.M method (Fimming and Topping made Easy) then tie down the new stem growth, if time isn't an pressing issue you could plan to train a Bonsai Mum.

That i can say works, and guessing, less stressful than cutting a stem. Hard sayin not knowin, but guessing again that if your plant is healthy and vigorous and you environmental conditions are stable then you'd probably be alright.

7. When you top you take off the top growth. You can chop lower then that but it's not recommended for that young of a plant. I think you'd be fine topping now tho as long as you've got roots and new growth has come in

8. I use rockwool for clones... And as far as taking clones off small plants you won't shock it too bad but after taking any cuttings you want to let it veg longer to recover.