clones didnt want to root. Why?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by usuckman, Oct 1, 2011.

1. I took some faily small cuttings. I cut them below the node at a 45 degree angle, underwater. Diped them in clonex, then placed into rockwool. After 4 days the stems were swollen like they are supposed to. Only problem was no roots at all. I took them out and each of the clones were dark colored arround where I cut them. So basically instead of making roots they just turned dark..
    What is the cause of this. Was it because I used scissors instead of razorblade? The scissors seemed pretty sharp with no dings or rough spots. They were medical scissors.
    Do you think I will have success trying to clone using a razor instead? Or does this happen when clones are too small? Im confused.. Why the dark stuff :(

2. Maybe it needs more time? One of my clones took about a week.5 - 2 weeks

3. na healthy clones dont have black stuff where you cut them :(
    You can tell they were trying to root and starting the process. If they were healthy they would be green, and have little white stubs growing out

4. Every time i had dark ends they died.

Idk why though...

5. yea thats about where i am at. Except all my clones are dead and yours arent lol.

6. let those fuckers dry out before you keep soaking them. its more important to not water clones than to keep watering them. imo. and 4 days is a little retarted to be pulling them up and looking, have some fucking patience. weed isnt ready overnight kiddo.

7. did you soak the rockwool thoroughly before cloning. The ph is wack so I soak over night and have great success. Takes about 5 to 10 days for roots.

8. Took my clones 2 weeks to root with rockwool and clonex. Some still haven't rooted but they are still looking fairly healthy in my humidity dome.

9. #9 cky09, Oct 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2011
    you need to spray them with water id say 6 times a day for the first 2 days. EVEN IF IN A DOME! about day 3 or 4 you can cut down to 4 mists a day. like stated above soak the medium first, sqeeze some of the excess water out, but not all of it, the medium HAS to stay moist for things to work properly. Also as mentioned above give it time. if you dont see any roots in 2 weeks chances are they wont take root. Also make sure you use sterile tools, and yes try a razor next time, maybe youll have luck with that. Im sure it can be done with scissors, but im gonna guess its alot easir to damage the end of the cut that way.

Oh yeah, and when i say spray above...i mean mist, and not super heavily.

10. I sprayed them very often. As soon as the leaves werent moist I sprayed them again.
    And to the people who say it takes weeks to root, I know im not stupid. But it doesnt hurt to pull a clone out early and check if it is rooting. And none of them were so basically if I just left them in there like you say I should I would be wasting more time for nothing.
    The clones were showing thick stems meaning they would be starting to root if everything was going correctly.

I think next time, I will mist a little bit less because I misted them like every 2 hours. And I will try using soil this time instead of rockwool. Also im going to use a razorblade. Hopefully it will work this time.

11. make sure to cut them at a 45 degree angle and ur scissor or razor is disinfected with alcohol or flame.. be sure that its not a thick branch where it is hollow inside or else it will rot.. make sure u spray constantly, and that it is humid as shh in that dome, water shud be fairly warm as well as temp

12. you could try using jiffy pucks too.

13. Here is what we do...and we get 98% of the clones taken rooted.
    We have good roots around 7 days and plant 10-14 days from date clipping was taken.

Use root riot cubes...put them in a propagation tray..with a tray under that.
    Make the hole in the cube slightly larger then it is out of the bag.
    Take your cuttings and cut the stem at a 45 degree angle.
    Dip in clonex solution...stick in root riot cube....repeat.

When you are done....mist the leaves with water.
    Do that often the first 3 days..4-8 times a day depending on the humidity levels.
    Then add 4mil of clonex nutrient solution (forget the name of it off the top of my head) to 1000mil of water in a spray bottle...a quart is about 20$ and will last forever. Spray the clones using that for the next 16 hours ...then dump out any remaining and go back to water for the next day....do this for 7 days. Out of 100 clones we loose 2-3 at most.

We keep the clones on a seedling heating mat on a temp sensor..keep it at 78-79 degrees the whole time.
    For lighting each clone tray gets 4 lights...2 blue and 2 red..2 foot t5s we use 1 blue and 2 red for the first 5 days then turn the 4 th light on (blue) till we plant them.

We also have a 120 site ez cloner but don't use it because the above way works so well.

Hope this helps someone out.

SignSmoker

14. Cut them at the 45 degree angle and insert the cut end into rooting gel immediately to avoid an embolism. Once you get a good amount covering the cut, put it slowly into the rockwool cubes making sure the stems make contact with the cubes. If they don't touch the moist cubes, the chances of rooting are pretty slim. Keep them in a 80-90% RH environment with the cubes in about 80F temperature. Mist the clones as needed to keep the humidity right. Don't water them as you would a regular plant, use only the spray.
    If you're using a humidity dome & tray, you can remove the dome 3-4 days after you cut the clones.

Keep them under soft lighting... too much light induces foliage growth and not root growth. It may also help to presoak your rockwool with a ph of 5.5 - 5.8 and you can even put a little of Roots Excelurator or Great White with the water you soak the cubes in.

My first try at cloning went wrong because the stems didn't make contact with the cube. All except a few clones didn't root.

15. how old is the mother u was taking the cutting s from? u should start taking cuttings from a plant thats about 2-3 weeks old and your look at about a 4 day waiting for roots< when the plant is older your looking at any thing from 2 week to a month for roots but that depends on the age of the plant your taking the cutting. but whats your humidatiy in the cloning box u want it to be as high as 95%, and its the dark that roots your cutting not the light, try putting them in the dark for 24 hours and dont give them too much light if working with a 400 or 600hps lamps put a tea towl or some thin cloth over the box to dampan out the light. and flush your plant for three days with just water to get the salts out< and just use this along with what u have been doing and u should get a good out come!! i do this and get nere to 100% sucksess< good look and tell me if it helps u :)

16. dont fucking spray them..... and also, i looked today at my buddys ezcloner, and the bottom of the cutting, is black but roots are shitting out all over. so next time dont pull them out in a day, let them sit for a while before you tug a look, and the black seems normal.

17. Ur soil was too wet. Keep it moist not soaking wet.

18. #18 usuckman, Oct 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2011
    People make this shit sound so easy... It seems like everything I cut either gets droopy or has black shit on the cut. WTF! Im on my second round of clones. And I pulled one out to look at after 2.5 days its starting to get dark on the cut just like the other ones. Ill leave them in and wait. But I fucking doubt they will root. Sigh im so pissed. WTF could possible be making my shit turn dark? And how does everyone else's cloning videos seem so dam easy lol... I fallowed the steps perfectly and i get shit on fml

19. My guess is ur just keeping it too wet honestly man, they get dark from the soil leeching into the stems. Just moisten the soil before u put the cut in and then don't water just mist for a few day let it dry out before u water it

20. hmm half are in rockwool. They got dark too. Not completely dark yet so maybe there is still hope but i think same thing will happen. I dont think they are too wet i squeezed the extra water out before puting them in.