Clones are wilting. Help please

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by drew425, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Last night I took 6 cutting from 2 different mother plants. I place the cuttings in rockwool after the cubes were soaked in RO water for about 4 hours. I also applied clone x like I always do. Then I placed them under a doam and put a heating mat under the dome. They are under 4 23w cfls. This morning I checked on them and they were all wilted. Any suggestions? Thanks

2. #2 marvajuana, Jan 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2013
    Think maybe they got too hot? just my first thought.:D The reason I think it may be heat is that just yesterday I was trying to raise the temp in my bubble cloner and I got sidetracked lol the temp was 92f and all were wilted bad. I thought I had cooked them to death but they came right back when I got the temp back to 82f. idk just something to check.

3. Make sure you mist the foliage, that's the only way they can take in water.

4. They take in water up the stem and transpire that water though stomata on the leaves. The stomata can take in water also. when the leaves are releasing more than the stem can supply they wilt.
    So what makes them transpire water from the leaves? Low humidity and or high temps will sure do it.
    We can minimize this by keeping temps and humidity controlled.
    Trimming more leaves from the cut may help too, less leaves less stomata to transpire the H2O.
    Just my thoughts ,And I may be high.:smoking:

5. Im not sure. I actually had them under a heating blanket last night because my seedling mat was in my tent so I just put them under the mat this morning. It didn't feel too hot when I checked. Maybe too much light?

I misted them last night before I put them under the dome and this morning

6. Im pretty sure it was plenty humid under the dome. Maybe it was the temps. Ill take the mat out from under them when I get home

7. I was told to leave clones in the dark for at least 48 hours after cutting.

Also was told to cut the leaves in half.

Always place under a humidty dome. I personally use peanut butter jars upside down. So can get light when I am ready for that point.

Temp range I have heard in the mid 70s. So maybe it got too warm. I am getting ready to run my clones but I made an Aeroponics cloner with heater.

8. my clones are perking up now after wilting. in fact, the lower branches' leaves never came back. i've heard it's good to not have much foliage for this reason, nonetheless, the lower leaves will die off, while the others will perk back up. i guess people advise against planting something that's too bushy for this reason.

9. Hi greatkitsune, trimming the leaves will help. I keep mine 75 to 80 whetever the vedge room is.
    I made a new cloner myself, trying it out now.
    Here is a pic I took clones about 12 hours ago they still look good.
    Haven't misted or used a dome at all. Humidity is around 37%.
    It is setting about 4 ft from 1k mh.

Attached Files:

• Creative Creative x 1
  10. I went home last night and the clones were still a little wilted, but looked better. I found out I had left the heat matt unplugged all day so I plugged it in and turned the lights off as it was recommended to me to do this for 2 days. This morning when I went to mist them they had perked up quite a bit. Wondering if it was too much light?

11. i put some pics up of mine, they're looking a lottt better today.

12. You might get a faster strike-rate if you use black foam instead of the off-white. The black keeps light out of the future root zone. Something about light keeps certain hormones from being produced needed for rooting, but I'm not sure. I made a smaller, similar version of what you made, but with black foam. I get roots in 7 days. You can get the black foam for less than $5 from the hardware store, it's used for insulating the area around window mounted ac units, among other things. You can also find it free a hundred other places.

13. same problem... i took two cuts last night, did everything identically and one is fine the other looks very ill. j

ph at the 'root' starting zone?

rockwool has a high ph so use a lower ph (4-5) to get it to a 6.0 balance...you used 6.0 ph so the ph is still high ? I always had trouble with rockwool as a clone bed due to the ph.

I switched to these "Oasis" foam cubes (made of some inert ph neutral material) and haven't had that come up since.

computer shops...old mouse pads were made of the same stuff