Clone was in this weird bark material...

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Blaxmith, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Sup guys I added a couple plants to my grow, and one of the clones is in this funky bark shit... anyways ive never seen it before. I dont feel really comfortable with whats going on under the surface.

If there's nothing to worry about, I could simply leave it be, water and feed it as normal, then when that pot becomes root bound i would transplant it to a bigger pot with normal soil.

One thing I noticed is that its really difficult to use my fingers to see how dry its becoming beneath the surface.. with the Fox Farms soil i've been using, its extremely easy to stick my finger down about an inch to get an idea of how dry it is, and whether it needs water. This stuff is really strange.. all the pieces seem to be stuck to each other, and it's awkward going beneath the surface.

But, I'm wondering if it would be beneficial at all to transplant it to dirt right now?
    Is anyone familiar with this grow medium? Is it good for root development?

It's still a small clone, so I dont think the roots have developed too much... however I flipped the plant upside down and took it out of the pot briefly, and the taproot has extended to the bottom.

Just curious, thanks for any insight folks. Greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. i would water it really good and test the runoff. it looks like its thriving in the bark shit. i would just transplant it into a bigger pot with your medium of choice and just leave the rootball of barkshit intact.

3. watch out with that soil wood chips seem to hold water more and get mold easyer so watch out with that dude

4. ummm ya get it out of that shit and put it in dirt. Mg organic if you have to.

5. could be willow bark and water, old school cloning solution

6. its alive and going so its not harming it...buut it looks like the main stem and all fan leaf stems are purple which could be a sign of a defficiency....id transplant into a larger pot with some FF...it wont harm it and if anything the roots will just shoot out into the better soil within a few days

7. i agree with fonzio. even if you wanted to get rid of the barkshit you would have to wash off the roots which will definately damage the plant. just transplant it into FFof. that should get it thriving.

8. Thanks for the advice folks. I would prefer to not transplant it, wait til it becomes rootbound in the bark and then transplant it, but in this case I'd rather not risk it. I'm gonna put it in a bigger pot with all the bark there, surrounded by FFOF. Good work team.

also any additional info on the barkshit is appreciated, still dont know much about it :p