clone question

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by pork chop, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Hi Blades, Quick question if I pop a seed take a clone don't keep a mother but just keep taking a clone from a clone will this work ? I don't have room to keep  a mother so I wanted to just take clones rite before the switch to 12/12 . Thanks in advance

2. if you mean making generations from the same mother then yeah I know someone on there that has like 13 generations

3. Yes you can.

I've been propagating that way for over 30 years. I've kept genotype/phenotypes for years, one for almost 15 years.

I take cuttings in veg and then veg those clones while the others flower. You can keep rooted clones with minimal lighting for quite a while.

For long term propagation, the trick is to always take cuttings from healthy vigorous vegging plants. Never put them in 12/12 (not even for one dark cycle). If they want to start flowering they get a lot harder to propagate and keep healthy.

I found that 18/6 or 20/4 for vegging works best if you're propagating. I found that vegging with 24 hr light starts stressing them a bit when they get older (I had some peter out on me in less than a year using 24 hour light, and found they stayed more vigorous with 18/6.

4. I don't keep mothers either. Just clone plants a couple weeks before putting them into flower.

5. Thanks guys appreciate it.

6. Genetic drift comes from keeping a mother... so take me for example.... once i get older my genetics change, my enzymatic reaction slows and i lose testosterone and building blocks(youre cloning your grandparents vigor).... now if we take our clone from a teenager each time... we keep a constant vigor and dna sequence in the plant... we can change phenotypes but thats advanced stuff like perfecting recessive and dominant traits to run sativas and hermie prone strains.

Coming from someone with success past 10 generations

That's what I do, I have a had plants for years doing that. they must have some sort of age limit I guess but the longest I have had a plant is about 3 years and the last clone was as good as the first.

When I say I "kept a plant" I mean in a genetic sense, not the actual physical plant, as in a mother/doner plant

8. There used to be a lot of debates about keeping mother plants vs perpetual cloning. Personally, I find that genetic drift comes from accumulative damage from stress (even small amounts) over time.

The way I look at it, a branch from a plant is still a branch from that plant even if it has it's own roots. And a branch from that plant will still be a branch from a branch from the original plant and so on and so on.

I've done it both ways, and personally I think it's a lot harder to keep a mother plant healthy and vigorous for a lot of months, let alone years.

I have kept mothers in the past but they eventually become too big and I either put it in for flowering or take a few clones and feed it to the worms. Perpetual cloning is my norm