Clone in coco or EZ Cloner?

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by Agoutihead, Jan 14, 2012.

1. At this present time I plan on cloning in coco and know it is very easy & very successful, but I was also considering buying an EZ Cloner.

Is this worth the upgrade?

Is it truly a better option for cloning than directly in small cups of coco? Will the EZ Cloner give me a shorter clone period over the coco? It seems like it could also take up less space compared to having 30 small cups of coco.

I could then move directly from the EZ Cloner right to 2.4g Airpots so there is only 1 transplant?

2. personally I wouldn't go with the easycloner they work great when all conditions r right. temp, ph, rh, and cleanliness you have to break them down after every run and scrub clean with bleach if you want continued success. I just use a flat and fill it with coco and dome it.

3. I fully expect to clean all equipment after each use to keep things as high level as possible, so that wouldn't deter me from using a cloner.

Keeping all of the conditions at proper levels shouldn't be too hard once you're dialed in & if a cloner can really get roots growing in less than 10 days, that is just quicker you can turn a harvest.

After doing some more Cloner research, it seems the Turbo Klone might be a better option for a couple of reasons.

I plan on wanting 30ish healthy clones to transfer to coco filled Airpots. There is a chance that not all clones will make it, so I would have to get the 60 EZ Cloner & dial it down to around 45 plants to take into account some may die out and leave me with 30ish very healthy ones.

The Turbo Klone has a T48 model which is perfect. It also has an optional dome to add for humidity.

Another thing I like about the Turbo Klone is that it has a fan on it to help keep the temp. down, something I know from a friend is an issue with the EZ Cloner.

Does anyone know if the fan on the Turbo Klone really does work well & help keeps the temp down?

4. http://forum.grasscity.com/do-yourself/504667-budslingers-bubble-cloner.html

Waaaaaaay cheaper than any bought cloner. Aero/bubble cloning is alot faster than coco, and they take the transplant into coco just fine. Usually within the week theyll start popping nubs, Ill hit them with a little bit of botanicare aqua shield and they explode. Just make sure the container is light proofed, thats the most common problem with the DIY bubble cloners.

5. make your own ezcloner. they work wonders

Attached Files:

6. i built mine for about $30. i already had the pump and 32gal. storage container. $25 for the ezclone sprayer nozzles and about $5 for the pvc.

7. #7 theVirtuoso, Jan 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2012
    Don't spend hundreds more on an EZ cloner.

I clone in both coco and my own homemade cloner.

They're very easy to make, just as tothehead stated - pvc, EZ clone sprayers, water pump and rubbermaid bin.

take a look at this -
    http://forum.grasscity.com/do-yourself/243103-diy-aero-veg-tub.html

You can make one smaller/larger depending on your needs. I have a 20 slot one in a 22g rubbermaid roughneck using a 396gph pump instead of the 633 (saved me $20)

Here's my results - 100% success with plain tap water (let sit out for 24+ hours) pHd to 5.8 of course.

9 days - had two stragglers at this point
    [​IMG]

11 Days - all rooted (one just a tad behind)
    [​IMG]

Coco works just as well, but I really like the cloner.

8. Virtuoso has the right idea.

loving the look of those roots bro. 11days is right about where i sit as well.

i keep a little heater in mine set on 76*/78* cant remember which lol. i have recently started throwing some clonex clone/seedling solution into mine instead of superthrive when i start seeing white nubs. a day or 2 after the solution my roots are rockin the shit

9. I also use a homemade bubble cloner that works great, but some strains will root quicker in coco. My blue mystic strain hates the cloner and takes almost a month to root but will have roots growing out the bottom of a solo in three weeks. I know its not the cloner because my la confidential roots in 8 days.

So my suggestion would be to use both.

10. #10 OhioStateBuckeyes, Jan 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2012
    easy cloners are great and you get roots faster than you will with any other method.

BUT it takes about a week for your plant to rebound from the stress it goes from hydroponic (or aeroponic....w/e) to soil.

coco is good to clone in, but i think peat is needed because of it's higher CeC (not saying it is a better overall medium, i just think it helps out the cuttings get what they need). i usually mix 50% peat, 50% coco, than a few handfuls of EWC & judge how much more or less perlite i need my eyeballing it.....if i use this method.

but the method i've recently been using gets a 100% success ratio, roots quickly, & doesnt have any stress transplant.

http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/965372-organic-cloning-4.html

Stankie, post #52.

he only uses water, but you can use rootech or clonex or whatever. organically, the juice-sap from an aloe leaf will amaze you at it's rooting properties. raw organic honey works well, too.

i put a seedling warmer underneath all the cups.

instead of a "dome," i use plastic freezer bags with the zipper. mist the bag down, flip it upside down on the cup, and zip it up all the way against the cup.

not really 100% coco related, but the thread looked interesting & heres my 2 cents :smoke:

-OSUB