Clone dip/Quarantine practices?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Moonnugs, Nov 16, 2017.

1. My recent run in with russets really put the fear in me and I've realized that I need to step up my game. The last infestation clearly survived my old quarantine protocol and IPM and knowing what I know now about russets I'm not too suprised. All plants I had were harvested/killed, my space was cleaned, treated and left empty for a bit. Now with fresh clones about to come in I'm looking for a better way to help ensure that Im not bringing in fresh pests. I'm hoping a series of full dips throughout cloning/early veg and then regular sprays/sulphur burns once they get bigger will be enough.

1. I'm already pretty confident in these new clones or I wouldnt be taking them in. Ideally I dont want to use anything so harsh that it slows/stunts growth very much. Also if possible I want to avoid scary, lingering chemicals though I have researched and considered using things like avid/forbid on clones only. At least this time around I have no intention of doing so them but if my problem keeps coming back down the line well see.

2. I've never treated unrooted clones. Are there some things I could dip them in from the start that wont hurt them/screw with the process? Any tips on dipping in general? I was thinking maybe some sort of knockdown pesticide to start followed by something like grandevo till theyre rooted?

3. Any other methods of eradicating pests from fragile clones/small plants? Seen people recommending everything from heat treatments to co2 to sticking a hot shot strip in the cloning dome. I'm down to try just about anything safe.

2. Good Question Quarenten is vital to the success of the whole grow space

if you have your doubts don't hesitate to dip the whole plants in air temp water with 10% bleach

this will kill the fungi

a spray of cold pressed neem oil after is good

place in front of a warm wind to dry them out

good luck

ps try growing from seed, it makes you a better gardener, and you sleep better..lol

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. #2) I HAVE tried to treat unrooted cuts. Not a single one made it.

Treating a few days before making the cut yielded much better success.

Starting from seed, making a host plant (mother) and bringing in NOTHING from outside worked the best. Still, not 100%, but closer than anything from an outside source.

As Vostok mentioned, you'll sleep better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Thanks yall. In the future I definitely intend to play with seeds more. For now I just really want to get up and running again with a few good strains but I certainly wont be taking any more cuts or outside anything after this without a lot of thought.

So not a one made it after dipping unrooted clones Wet? What did you treat with? Makes me real glad I didnt try it. I did decide to do at least a little wash before I cut them down to size though. I swished em around a bit in a pitcher of water with a bit of soap, aloe and silica and then in one with clean water before setting out to soak in my solution. Figured it might at least rinse off any random particles I may have picked up in transit and at best wash away some bugs/pathogens I didnt see.

Treating before cutting in the future seems like a great idea. I think it usually kinda happens incidentally anyways but I'm going to start specifically targeting that timing.

So when is it safe to start my preventative treatments? I usually wait until my pucks have rooted into soil but I imagine I might be able to start with something gentle as soon as my pucks are well rooted? Any particular recommendations for gentle sprays/dips I might try while theyre young besides the standard neem, silica, aloe, ess oil solution? Im thinking adding in some sulphur burns and a prokure treatment might be good ideas when they get a bit bigger too.

5. May I recommend taking your new cuttings and treating them with a dip in a water / azamax solution. The rate at which I mix my solution; 30ml of azamax per gallon of water, 2ml of Dr. bronners soap (or surfactant of your choice, coco wet etc..)
    After dipping your clones ensure you give them a decent shake to remove excess water from the leaves.
    Also it's important to keep these freshly dipped clones out of direct light until they're mostly dry. Then harden them off as you regularly would.
    To prevent damage to leaflets, burns or what have you.. don't dip in, or apply azamax to your crop in direct sunlight, temps above 85 degrees, or in humidity above 80%

Another side note if you do choose azamax, which I highly recommend, because it's it sooooo fantastic.. make sure you wait 20 days before applying sulfur - or microthiol disperss ( a wettable sulfur spray )
    Otherwise you will get leaf burn.

Last thing, azamax is omni organic - that's probably important on this forum ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  6. Nugg, I really don't remember just what the cuttings were or, just what was sprayed. Stuff besides mj and from mild to toxic dips/sprays. It was years ago when I stopped trying.

The main constant was the lack of a root system, or a barely developed one. So, treatment was before the cuts were taken and the plant allowed to recover for a week or so, or, the cut was well rooted with decent growth.