Clogged carbon filter! Humidifier to blame?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by hot cheetos, Jul 27, 2016.

1. My carbon filter is COMPLETELY clogged. I use hard water in my humidifier and its VERY hard water...400ppm. First i noticed that the pre fliter on the carbon filter was getting white dust type of residue on it, i ignored it and knew it was salt build up due to the shit water. Well, after only 3 weeks the air exchange in my tent went to completely ZERO. I know this because my tent was blowing up like a balloon! I realized that the prefilter was completely clogged. I pulled the prefilter back and my tent got sucked in immediately. I didn't have time to wash the prefilter and slip it back on and now my carbon filter is starting to clog. Full speed only gives me a slight sucked-in tent, whereas before it looked like it was going to collapse on itself (i didn't keep it at full when it worked).

What could one do to clear up this issue and clear up the carbon filter? Would just putting it under the sun resolve the issue? If it was just wet i would imagine it would work but its also got salt built up on it so im not sure. Is there any way to effectively and safely clean/wash a carbon filter?

2. I have heard of this but never experienced it, wash the pre filter and mabey put the filter in the sunfor a couple of hours I really don't know maybe somebody with experience will chime in but that's the only thing I can think of

Sent from my van down by the river

3. I would try soaking it in a detergent for a couple hours and then leaving it out in the sun to dry until you could smack/slap the residue off if there is any salt left. Try using Filtered water in the humidifier to avoid this problem in the future. Costs more sure but saves you a pin in the ass! :)

4. So whats wrong with using RO water and adding a little calmag each month

this may occur 3-4 times before you actually wake up ..?

and make time for the grow

good luck

5. Why add calmag? I have the humidifier hooked up to 1/4 inch tubing that is connected to the hose and it has its own float valve to regulate keeping the humidifier full. I do not have an RO system set up on the hose yet, i plan to do it in the near future.

What may occur 3-4 times before i wake up?

Most of my efforts ARE put into the grow. Dialing in the environment and tending to the plants. Removing the pre filter from the scrubber would be very difficult and dangerous to do by myself. I would have to take down the carbon filter to remove the prefilter and it would be risky to do it by myself in case it falls and crushes my plants. I haven't had a helping hand just yet and I'm going to get that done today most likely.

6. Unfortunately, there is no way to reactivate carbon at home. It takes 1500F to do it.The best way to fix the problem is replacement, otherwise you'll be doing this repeatedly.

Sent from Cannabis Heaven

7. Can't I wash the carbon filter? Is it bad to get the carbon wet?

8. You can wash it, but it will never work as efficiently. It will eventually clog completely and you won't be able to wash it at all. The activated carbon has millions of holes in it when new, after much usage all of these holes clog and the carbon becomes useless.

9. Did you wash it out when you bought it? Sometimes, the carbon must be washed out to remove the carbon dust. This could be the problem. Aquariums use activated carbon to remove all sorts of toxins.
    Wash out your filter and look for black water. Keep flushing until the water runs clear. Make sure to let the filter dry out completely. A good day or two in the hot sun should do nicely, depending on the diameter of your filter.
    I hope this helps.