Clipping the Large Leaves?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Pleasure Junkie, Jul 30, 2009.

1. :confused:I have one plant that I'm growing. It has four tiers. I've topped it once. It has nice sprouts coming off the stalk. It had 6 very large leaves which I clipped off. Was I wrong to do that? It is aprox. 4 weeks old. Should I just keep the smaller leaves? Here is a picture of my "tomato" plant. I need some advice. Thanks!:smoking:

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      170.7 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      133.9 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      141 KB
      Views:
  2. Yes you where, The plant uses thoes leaves to gather light and grow, it would be like cutting your mouth off.

3. Lol.
    Very much so. +rep for that sir.

4. Fucking fail

5. Thanks everyone. You're right...fucking fail.......wish me well from here. If anyone has any advice for what I should do next I'd appreciate it.:(:smoking:

6. Haha, the best advice I can give you is think before you act. I'm curious, what did you think removing the bigger leaves would do?

for your sake, lets hope your stoned

7. Since your new here, rule number one is to read the stickies in the beginning of each forum. The info there will steer you in the right direction.

Rule number two...........refer to rule number one.

Welcome to Grasscity.....chunk

8. Good job, you most likely just doomed your plant.. and your soil looks horrible.:eek:

9. You didn't necessarily doom your plant but you need to know that the large fan leaves are like solar panels that absorb the light needed for photosynthesis. The more light absorption, the better growth you will get.

Your plant will probably slow down it's growth for a spell, then take off again when the leaves enlarge.

Seriously though.....do some reading........peace

10. Well. You have the wrong soil for starters. The little white spheres in there retain water, you don't want that, just straight topsoil should do the job, as for that plant there....it may live, but you wont have a very high yield. So on the next one, don't trim or anything, just leave it be. And use topsoil without those fillers so that your plant wont be soaked in water all the time.

11. Read all of the stickies here in the absolute beginners section of the forum. You are a beginner and these postings and resources are written specifically for you! They will answer a lot if not all of your questions.

My second bit of advice, read the lingo translation sticky. After you know enough to keep up with the conversations (we use a lot of abbreviations) just lurk and look at the different threads that pop up. Read anything that grabs your interest. You'll be suprised how fast you'll pick up the collective knowledge of this place.

A bit of advice about your plant: that thing is stretching to the sky! You need to get more light on it, or get your lights closer or something. At 4 weeks you should have more than 4 nodes, and there shouldn't be that much space between the nodes. Go take a look at the lighting guides, its as good of place as any to start with!

12. Thanks for all of your replies and advice. I will read the stickies and have fun until I run accross another seed. You guys are great. Thanks again.:smoking:

13. Those little white thingies are perlite and they provide oxygen, they don't hold water. Vermiculite holds water. Please read the stickies as you can see you will get all kinds of advice, good and bad by posting this way.

14. You can always move the leaves out of the way if they are blocking the light from other tops developing. But at the point your plants are right now, those fan leaves def didn't need to be cut off.

Tuck, don't Pluck.

15. i cut off fan leaves on mine to inhibit the new growth to take over. it worked very well. take your first few times growing pot as an experiment. any failiure is just an experience to learn from

16. Thanks Bushy! That's why I only have one plant. I like your attitude!:wave::smoking:

17. I don't understand, what do you mean inhibit the new growth to take over?