Clintons approval rating higher than Obama's

Discussion in 'Politics' started by PhillGates, Dec 16, 2009.

1. #1 PhillGates, Dec 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2009
    Poll: Clinton approval soars - - POLITICO.com

[​IMG]

notions?!

2. probably because hilldog isn't in the spotlight as much as obama

dumb thread imo

3. 800 people? Not a very extensive survey

Why?

4. Although I think the poll was bunk, it does raise an interesting point that she seems primed to make another run the next chance she gets.

5. All 'studies' like this are based on a very small sampling. Do you honestly think Rasmussen studies actually call up 330 million people to get their opinion one tiny issue? That's the flaw of these 'studies' that are lauded, they're based on very small samplings of people.

6. 800 people of a specific group like "news watchers" is probably a valid sample size.

7. #7 420420420, Dec 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2009
    Usually it's around 1200 - 2000

I wouldn't say so. First off, the phrase "news watchers" is completely arbitrary (just think of some of the posters on this very forum who get their news from Daily Kos, Infowars, etc, not to mention the many people who watch 10 minutes of Sean Hannity each week and consider themselves informed). Also, polls even with a larger sample size than this are consistently different, if these exact same polling questions were asked to another group of 800 I wouldn't be surprised if the numbers were reversed.

8. Observable human action cannot be scaled down, or up, it can't be rounded or marginalized, so why do you give so much credence to a 'poll' or a 'study' that only samples a size roughly that of your local graduating 8th grade class, as opposed to the whole country? Or the whole demographic of news watchers and politically interested people? I'm sorry, but there's a different circumstance in every single persons' life that affects how they interpret and view certain things, and sampling 800 people, out of 330 million... well there's bound to be some issues there. These polls deduce very complex issues, down to a few basically yes/no answers, and you're forced to chose from very simple answers, and to top it off, it's based on a few hundred samples. Sorry, but by all means and measurements, this kind of procedure is open to many flaws.

9. Oh that makes it better. :rolleyes:

10. #10 420420420, Dec 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2009
    You don't think that more than doubling the sample size would make a difference?

By the way I agree with you, polls are not an accurate way of measuring the public's opinion. I was part of a poll during the 2008 primaries which asked me my opinion on various issues and only in 3 of the 15 or so questions was there an option that fit my ideology.

But... this poll was simplified to whether you do or do not support various politicians, which I would say is a fair question for a survey

11. its because Hillary didn't just send 30,000 more troops to the Middle East.

Trust me, people still hate Hillary Clinton plenty.

12. How come people don't like Jim Jones?

[​IMG]

He was pretty popular in his time.... some would say he had a cult following.

;)

13. No, it probably wouldn't make a difference.

That's why it's called a statistically valid sample size.