Climbing PPM in DWC - possible algae problem?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Help_Needed, Aug 10, 2007.

1. I'm not sure if I should post this here or in the advanced growing section. Mods, please move it if I guessed wrong heh.

Two nights ago I topped off my res for the first time as per the Lucas Formula. I misunderstood the math for determining how much solution to add and I added twice as many nutes as I should have. Fortunately, I was aiming for a low concentration suitable for seedlings and most of the plants are old enough to withstand the higher veg-recommended concentration. But....

Last night I checked my tank and it was at 520ppm. This morning it was at 550ppm. The closet where the grow is has always been a bit on the warm side, but for some reason yesterday it was even hotter than usual - 90-92. So there has probably been even more evaporation than usual. The res was down a bout half a gallon this morning, so I topped of with distilled water. TDS reading was taken before top-off, btw.

So, any guesses as to what's causing my ppm to go up?

2. Never mind.

While thinking about my "problem" I decided to look at the math involved in the Lucas Formula. It took me a while to remember enough algebra to do it, BUT, based on the amount of nutrients I used my "target" ppm in my tank would have been 590ppm. So if it's sitting at 550ppm now, then that means my little darlings have been eating well lol.

I'm guessing that the lower reading I got earlier was because the nutes hadn't distributed all the way through the tank yet.