Clearing up a myth

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by FuerteFarmer, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Is it true that if you dry your buds at exactly 17C you wont lose any weight. I thought you lost water and chlorophyl by curing buds and this is where the weight went.

2. Don't worry, you can rest assured that when you dry something, the water content you're drying off or removing, had weight to it, and will be subtracted from the starting weight of the buds. :p (For those curious, 17 c = 62.6 f.)

Out of curiosity, where did you hear this... online, or a particular part of the globe? It's one of the rare canna myths I haven't come across. :)

3. #3 FuerteFarmer, Jul 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2012
    An old skool grower in the Canary Islands told me to do it. Its hard out here tho as the average temp is 20C - 30C

Edit: Right now it's 32C in the shade so keeping temps low can be tricky without an ac unit.

4. Im sure if thius was true it would be well known by many..
    All growers have experienced the awful shrinkage..

i could see some really dense bud maybe showing less, but in my experience ..
    Ive never seen this..

look up water cure.. that may give you some insight in the theory..

Ive tried many many different ways and use the sweat method myself..
    as I hate really dry weed anyways.. if it crumbles ..its t o dry for me..lol

5. Completely agree I do yoda. Thought it was a load of rubbish. Sweating leaves a better taste too in my opinion.

6. Is it better to cure at a lower temperature?

7. What is sweating leaves? Drying with all leaves and fan leafs intact? Then trim?

8. Sweating is when you dry your plant upside down until you can break the break the branches with a snap. Then strip your leaves and buds and put the buds in an airtight glass jar until they sweat and turn damp. Then open the lid and jumble everything around a bit and leave until dry. Then do it again and again until you have the desired feel to your buds. This encourages chlorophyl to break down and makes them smell sweeter and smoke smoother. Skunk #1 ends up smelling like strawberry jam butties!!!!!

9. Yup, "sweating" the bud makes for a smooth smoke. No harshness at all. The slow drying/curing of the buds allows the chlorophyll to break down, and it needs moisture to do it.

Dry 'em for a few days, just until they feel dry (or when the side branches 'snap' off), then put the buds in airtight jars and open them every other day for a few minutes to exchange the air.

I doubt that the chlorophyll weighs much, but the water sure does. Plants are mostly water. So are we.

10. Is there a risk of mold when using the sweating technique? Curing them so moist just seems like your asking for mold. Definitely wanna give this a try though.

11. So long as you rotate the buds and add fresh air you should be ok