Cleaning with Grunge Off (help)

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by stayhungry, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Hello,

I recently purchased Grunge Off and it worked amazing on the beaker section of my bong. 

It doesn't seem to be cleaning my percs and splash guard at all. I even let it soak for two days.... 

If anyone has any tricks or input, please share.

Thank you!

2. Try running the piece under some hot water first and working it a bit with a pipe cleaner. It might also work better after a few tries. Remember that the G O is reusable. Good luck. Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

3. Heat a mixture of salt and hydrogen peroxide in the microwave. Let it sit in the piece. Shake it up inside a bag while it's soaking. Rinse with lots of water. It works like a charm👌

4. 91% iso and that salt they use for like soaking your feet in at the dollar store i forget wat its calledSent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk

5. Do you have a stopper for the glass piece?  Make sure the grunge off covers everything you want it to clean, I use a 14 or 18mm glass stopper and a keck clip to keep the stopper in place when soaking in grunge off.

If grunge off isn't working on it, I doubt iso would work.

6. [quote name="mogwi411" post="19332580" timestamp="1389632098"]Do you have a stopper for the glass piece? Make sure the grunge off covers everything you want it to clean, I use a 14 or 18mm glass stopper and a keck clip to keep the stopper in place when soaking in grunge off.If grunge off isn't working on it, I doubt iso would work.[/quote]yea but that salt provides an abrasive medium and scratches at itSent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk

7. I remember now epsom saltSent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk

8. Can you explain what you mean by stopper. I plugged any open holes with some saran wrap so that the grunge off was able to be isolated throughout the perc.

The glass stopper just plugs up the 18 or 14mm ground joint, it fits in perfectly making an air tight seal.  As you fill the tube, the pressure increases due to the weight of the column of water, that's why I use a keck clip to keep the stopper in place.  Few months ago I had a piece on the counter and the stopper came loose...what a PITA to clean up...now I use the keck.  This is a link to one on grasscity....other places sell them too, check your lhs for the best prices.

http://www.grasscity.com/us_en/magic-glass-cleaning-stopper.html#.UtWsHPu9O24

The saran wrap probably won't work to keep all the grunge off inside for a long soak.  This stuff is slippery and it can eat away at plastics.  If you clean every day, you should be able to just dump it in, let it sit for a few minutes and then dump out rinse.  If it's really dirty, the grunge off should sit in the tube overnight or longer.  When I clean oil rigs (which I do not clean real regularly) I have to let the grunge off sit for almost 24 hours before the reclaim comes out.

You can try iso, but I used iso and salt for over a decade and in my experience grunge off is far superior at cleaning.  With iso I'm always using pipe cleaners, boiling water to loosen stuff up, shaking like crazy, using paper towels wrapped around little magnets to "wipe" the inside of the bong.....grunge off is easier.  Plus it smells a lot better after grunge off than with iso.

10. Thanks for the response. That stopper is perfect definitely will be picking that up soon! 
    I think the fact that I left a dirty bong that wasn't used for a couple months in my closet didn't help too much too. I was able to get it a little bit cleaner with some ISO and epsom salt the other day. Will give it another go with a stopper and keck clip. Thanks for all the help! And its nice to know that if I use grunge off regularly it won't take long at all because My bf and I liked the product but just the thought it would take 24+ hours for each piece to be clean was too long.