Cleaning suggestions?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by hountzz, Oct 13, 2009.

1. What would be reccomended for cleaning my air tubes? I've noticed a slightly green color...I assume its algae.... just some soap and hot water? or should i take other steps to make sure that nothing can cause harm to my wateR?

I just had another thought as well....my resoivor is a bright white color....Would it be a good idea to wrap a couple layers of duct tape around it to make it darker, thus not allowing anything to grow?

word
    thanks.

2. Yes, it's algae. I would soak the line in a bleach solution (1 tbsp/5 gallons HOT water), should clean it out -- although honestly, it's cheaper to just replace it. You should lightproof your bucket with aluminized tape from Lowe's/Home Depot. See Rumpleforeskin's Amazing How To on bubble systems for details. Duct tape will allow light through.

3. just run bleached water through it ( 1 tblsp. bleach to at least 4 gallons of water). Then rinse through with it with just plain hot water a couple times. Do this to your whole irrigation system atleast every two harvests.

4. #4 OCdaddy, Oct 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2009
    i'd replace the lines with black lines. just like your thinking about making your res. more light tight, your tubes arnt any different. if you let it build up you may block your hoses. my first set-up had clear hoses and eventually gave to much resistence to my pump, i prolly shooda did something about it sooner tho. with black lining, you will only have to clean them every so often. use the bleach method as mentioned, or replace, or botnicare makes this stuff called clearex, herd great things bout that. but i do think thats for salt build-up due to nuts. cant member tho. but, cleanslyness is next to godlyness.