Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

cleaning pipe with rubbing alcohol and salt

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by HollowedHero, May 12, 2012.

1. #1 HollowedHero, May 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2012
    so today i decided to clean my glass bowl cause it was really dirty. i saw that you can clean it by first putting the bowl in hot water (not boiling) for a few minutes (to loosen up the resin a bit i guess) then to put it in a ziploc bag, then add salt, then add rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol) seal it up, then shake for a few minutes. i did this process twice and and it looks almost brand new :). however, i am paranoid about poisonous things and was wondering if it was safe to smoke out of it...how long should i wait? most people say that the alcohol will evaporate quickly and that it isn't dangerous. anyway, to test to see if any alcohol was left on it, i held the flame of my lighter to the bowl in several places, and the only place that produced more flame was actually in the bowl part of the pipe, then quickly disappeared down the hole. i did this over and over again with the same result, so maybe it is just the way the flame works on clean glass even if there is no alcohol left.

anyway, sorry for the rant, i just want to know if it is 100% safe to smoke out of my pipe. thanks in advance!

2. If you give it a good rinse with hot water after you do that then you should be fine ive done that many times.

3. #3 HollowedHero, May 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2012
    i rinsed it with hot water for a while after the second round of the cleaning in order to get the last bit of loose resin out. also, i didn't save any of the resin from when i cleaned it with the alcohol so i won't be smoking that :p i did however scrape some resin from it before cleaning it and smoked that...nasty stuff lol.

hopefully it should be good to smoke out of soon...i love my pipe!

4. I've had your exact same worry before. Since you've already rinsed it, you can try just blowing through the mouthpiece to get any leftover alcohol vapor out. Not sure if this actually does much, but it makes me feel better at least :)

5. I wait a day to be safe.

6. I don't boil. Just use ISO and Epsom salt. Cleans perfectly and I smoke right after I rinse it