Cleaning my glass pipe with 50% ISO and salt?

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by MetalMario182, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Can i do it with 50% ISO Alchohol or will i have to go get some 90%, Also do they sell 90% ISO at hobby lobby?

2. 50% is way too weak man. You'll need a lot of extra salt... since there is so much water in 50% to dissolve it. It probably won't do a very good job but why not try it if you've got it.

3. Yup. It's deffinitly worth a try. Beleive it or not but I've used kentucky deluxe on all my pipes with some degree of success, that stuff is about as cheap as Iso, why not :laughing:

4. Just get yourself some Simple Green or Grunge Off and call it good.

5. I'm going to try to clean this with it later,
    [​IMG]

6. if it's a small piece you probably will be able to. i used to clean my bubbler with 70% iso and it worked fine. you may want to use extra of everything though

7. Yes it's pretty small.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Yeah give it a shot but dont expect to get it really clean and you'll probably need some hot water maybe q-tips in addition to the 50% iso for best results

9. The iso will loosen everything up, then use q-tips.

10. Anyone know other things to use for cleaning, im from UK and can't seem to find any isopropyl alcohol.

11. Anyone who says forget isopropyl, use this ____ has obviously never, ever used it before. Nothing cleans faster then alchohol. Soak it? How about fill it with iso and salt and shake it for twenty seconds. No soaking necesary.

12. Yeah, I've never used it before. Was born yesterday. :rolleyes:

13. Why pay more then 10$ for some gunk at a headshop, while supporting some stupid company making money off of us by charging out the ass for some liquid that eats away at anything adhesive? Iso is like, $2.50 at any store. And it works fucking amazingly. Alchohol is acid to resin.

14. Yea it won't hurt, give it a shot.
    I suggest you run hot water(from the tap) through it for a minute before dropping it in a bag with alcohol and salt. You may have to repeat the process with fresh alcohol a couple times since it's only 50%

15. You have no idea what you're talking about. Simple Green is cheaper than ISO, it's not sold in headshops, and it's non-toxic and biodegradable. There are stains that ISO sometimes cannot remove. Simple Green (as well as Grunge Off) will remove any plant and smoke matter material...period.

16. :confused_2: I've never seen simple green, or grunge off at any place i've ever been too, walmart albertsons, etc. Ever. Just in headshops. And i've never seen it for anything less then, lo and behold, $12.99. If we're both speaking from experience no one is wrong. :smoking: 3-pack of iso 91% for $5.00. Much better then any products for the purpose of pipe-cleaning that i've ever seen.

17. Every grocery store, including Albertson's and Walmart carries Simple Green. It's around $5 a bottle, and $9.99 for a gallon. It's reusable for a very very long time. Grunge Off isn't sold in typical stores, however, the two products are largely the same thing. Grunge Off costs more and isn't as widely available, which is why I don't recommend it as much.

Anyway, to each his own. ;-)

18. Simple green. Local walmart price (just looked at it as I grabbed a movie out of that dollar a day redbox thingy 2 minutes down the street) $5.99. Not sold in gallons :( I'd deffinitly choose it over Iso if it was so cheap for so much. hear that OP? Go to fuckin' walmart and see what a gallon costs :laughing: At least it doesn't reek of death like alchohol (I think, I didn't get a chance to smell it), which litterally burns the cilia in my lungs every time I accidently get a wiff of it.

You can reeuse Iso to, most people just don't.

19. #20 TDWPfan111, Apr 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2010
    I have tons of simple green products in my garage..my dad usues it I'll have to look at what hes got...

also 50% ISO sounds pretty weak... I settled for dollar store ISO at 79% and wasnt as great as 90% iso, I noticed cause I had to use twice as much ISO & of course took alot..

and the dude who said he has trouble finding ISO alcohol in the UK....thats pretty crazy....lol

I also saw formula 420 at a few headshops...its been tempting but everytime I see the price I'm like nahhh I'm going to the drug store for some iso

if you poured it back in the bottle that might help some of the alcohol from evaporating... but everytime I clean my spoons the ISO that comes back out looks like something from the exorcist.. I wouldnt store it anywhere lol