Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Cleaning my Acrylic Bong

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Mustang GT, Mar 28, 2011.

1. #1 Mustang GT, Mar 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2011
    So I bought a cheap little acrylic bong from my headshop and it got all nasty after a few weeks of use. So like a dumbass I cleaned it with nailpolish remover and salt. It has kind of an acidic smell, and its foggy now. Is it still safe to smoke out of? And does anyone know how to get rid of the haze if possible? I know eventually I want a nice glass one, but until I save up I wanna rip this one.

2. As long as you washed it out fully it should be fine!

3. If it still smells or taste's like nail-polish remover i would not use it. I cleaned an acrylic bong with alcohol and it cracked.

4. oh I gotcha, Im just worried about getting cancer or something from the acetone haha

5. bump because I was curious about this too.
    I have a p.o.s acrylic bong that does get super nasty. I mix sea salt, hand sanitizer, hot water, and dish soap all together in a plastic container and submerge my acrylic on the go bong inside and put the lid on and shake it. i was just curious if nail polish remover would be ok to use. my friend was telling me how good it works on his glass bong when he runs out of iso.

6. #6 TJforMJ, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2011
    Acrylic breaks with rubbing alcohol. I know that nail polish remover is a solvent like alcohol so it's probably not a good idea. Go to meijer and pick up some simple green, I use it for all of my pieces. Its like 5 bucks for a gallon. My friends keep a tupperware container full of the stuff in their kitchen so they can just toss dirty pieces in there and voila.

You can find simple green in the automotive department. It is non-toxic and is way cheaper than any product made for cleaning bongs. The stuff is good for cleaning pretty much any material. I will never buy grunge off again.

7. I would wash it out real good. Once you go glass its so much better. What kinda bong are you gonna get? I just got an EHLE from EDIT its pretty good. Cheaper than a R00R and some pretty good quality glass.
    Alcohol + Plastic = :mad:

8. Does Grunge Off suck? I was just gonna order some from Aqua Labs. Is simple green the best?

9. Got a bottle of this myself, works likes a charm.

10. I used Formula 420 cleaner because Formula 420 cleaner is my favorite kind of Formula 420 cleaner, cleaner It gets the bong nice and clean and is Formula 420 cleaner my favorite kind of cleaner to cleanse the bong after smoking I use Formula 420 cleaner

11. #11 TJforMJ, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2011
    No, it works awesome. But simple green works just as well and you get four times as much for like a third of the price. Plus, you can find SG in any walmart or meijer. But you can only use grunge off on glass. simple green has worked on everything i use it on.

Formula 4:20 is just alcohol and abrasive crystals. It's no different than using iso and kosher salt. It works well, it's just a major rip off.

12. Shoulda used simple green. :D

Stuff works wonders...

13. Thanks guys. I'm just gonna sell my mini acrylic and just buy a glass spoon for on the go toking with no papers. Acrylic, eh.

14. I would not smoke out of an acrylic bong after it was cleaned with nail polish remover.

Nail polish remover leaves a nasty smell/taste on glass,
    i can't imagine plastic..

15. Ah cool. Im gonna go grab a bottle. Do you dilute it or just leave it concentrated?

16. I dilute it just a little bit. Dont dilute as much as the bottle says though. I like a good strong dose. :D

Let it soak for a hour or so and shake it really well a few times. It should get everything off no problem..

Its really cheap too..