Cleaning fabric pots

Discussion in 'Greenhouses' started by MrMota, Nov 15, 2021.

1. First time I used them was this year. These are not the thin Gro Pro ones, I think they might be made in Mexico, they're 1/8 thick felt.
    The insides have cleaned up easily except the base. Roots have grown all through. I can't see how to remove them without destroying the bag. Maybe just wash the bag and hang it to dry out, remove as much root as possible? They aren't cheap, like $5 each.

2. Pressure wash as much out as possible, soak in oxy clean and warm water. Pressure wash, soak in phosphoric acid based cleanser I found Star-san while I was brewing and I love the stuff. Pressure wash, soak in bleach solution 2tbsp a gal. Both those two are cold water cleaners. Just a way you could clean them clean them. Take any of the measures and pretty sure you could clean it up pretty well, or all three/4. Pressure washers are pretty awesome. There are far more ways, those are just what I do.
    Speaking of which I should really go wash a batch before they sit any longer ..

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. IDK they are kinda like recycling a rubber....Turn it inside out and shake the fuck out of it.

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. Same thing we used to do with a load of nasty, greasy Auto Shop rags. Take them to the Laundromat.
    :)

BNW

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  5. I'm reluctant to use mine ..15liters felt with flouro lime stitiching ,

I rinse mine in warm water, no soap no bleach)

allow to dry them simply brush the dried roots out

read up Korean Farming on YT, as keeping old roots in the pot/soil is a very Korean thing

cheers

• Winner Winner x 2
  6. Roots at the bottom isn’t necessarily a bad thing. The dead roots will just decompose overtime if you reuse the pot.
    Try white vinegar? It might help dissolve it?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Yeah that sounds like the bags I have, they do have a bright green stitching. I could hardly believe the root ball, just solid, no outside circling. I must buy more, I had an incredible yield from those three bags.

• Like Like x 1
  8. OK, maybe I am being too fussy. Thanks.

9. months later....
    I harvest my cheese and note immediately that the plants are half the size of the Cheese I have in heavy plastic, 15 liter tomato bags I use...

what's your secret?

10. No idea but I definitely got a big yield from the felt pots.

• Like Like x 1
  11. When using fabric more water is needed. That could be a bottleneck

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. You are. Plants grow. In the dirt. Outside. With no human intervention. Where plants grew before. Amongst dead roots and bugs and animals.

Fabric pots are stupid cheap on amazon. I just toss em' or give them away. Was thinking about putting some tomatoes in them and putting them outside this year.

Look up no till growing. People grow in beds full of dead roots.