cleaning earrings at home?

Discussion in 'Fashion & Lifestyle Trends' started by Mittens024, Aug 12, 2011.

1. i have a pair of diamond stud earrings that need a good cleaning, however i dont feel like going to a jewelry shop to have them do it for money. is there any home methods to clean them and make them sparkle like new?

2. Simple Solution

Go to the jewelry store and pretend to look at buying stuff. When the sales rep comes to help you right away take your earrings off and ask him/her to put them in the ultrasound. And that is if they don't ask on their own.

Sales reps are trained in little tiny things like that to make you feel comfortable to buy. Asking to clean your jewelry is like the oldest trick in the book.

Source: former Jeweler

3. You can soak your diamond stud earrings in a warm solution of mild liquid detergent and water. Use a soft brush to remove the dirt, and soak them again in the solution. Rinse with warm water. Dry them with a cotton cloth. It is important that you take care of that pair of earrings to bring out its shine and elegance at all times. I have a diamond necklace, and it’s a personalized jewelry piece. My mom gave it to me so I take utmost care and good handling of it.

4. I will confirm the above post's, muh momma is a jeweler.

5. There is also jewelry cleaner you can buy at the drug store.

6. But why buy that when you can easily get them cleaned a lot better for free?

7. Can't you just use rubbing alcohol? :eek:

8. That will just disinfect them. An ultrasound will remove all the dirt and crud binding to the stone and alloy.

9. ^^ This. Most jewelry stores don't charge you to clean them. Actually, take it to the place you/whoever bought them from and they should clean them no problem. Every jewelry store around here that I've been in has signs up advertising free cleaning and stuff. Especially the big ones. So just take it to one of those.