Cleaning a Wooden Cabinet

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by bizzyninja, May 22, 2010.

1. Hey all I just found an old, what looks like a wooden nightstand outside the dumpster at my apartment. It's pretty small, measuring from the inside 15" high, 15" deep, and 20" across, but I'm sure I can find some use for it (clones, drying etc). The top got a little wet, inside was dry, and it was sitting out there for less than 12 hours.

I was wondering, before I took it inside, how I could effectively clean this to use in the future? I don't see any kind of foreign spills or anything of that sort, I just want to make sure it's free of anything that may have worked its way inside the wood. Right now it's sitting on my back porch drying out.

Any suggestions appreciated.

2. I like bleach, (Clorox flavor.)

Good luck Man:wave:

3. Dry it out, wipe it out with bleach.. If it shows any rot/mold just throw it away. Not worth the hassle.

4. You don't need straight bleach. Mix 4 parts water to 1 part bleach and wipe or spray down. Keep in mind that this might be a little harsh if the finish is nice.

The other option is a 50/50 vinegar and water spray. It's a little easier on finishes and you don't have to worry about breathing in the fumes. The smell will fade after it dries.

5. Thanks for the replies. I'll give the vinegear a shot as I don't have any bleach.

6. just as a warning to others, i found a sweet coffee table with a built in cabinet out at the curb, so i inspected it and took it home.

got it inside, opened the cabinet, and the movement of me banging it around flushed out tons and tons of cockroaches that were hidden in the cracks and seams.

be careful what you bring inside haha:smoke:

7. Yikes! Thanks for the heads up. It's still sitting out on my back porch, I'll be sure to bang it around a bit more and see if anything comes running out!

I'll inspect it a little closer to see if there are any cracks.