Cleaning a wood pipe?

Discussion in 'Smoking Pipes, Glass Spoon Pipes' started by ori.wolcon, Jan 13, 2015.

1. I have a little wood pipe I need to clean, how csn I do so?
    Any other ways than scraping resin from bowl ( it's very hardened) ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1421103674.276135.jpg

2. I used to carve my own chillums. We had a pear tree in my yard and i used branches from that. I just made a new one as they got dirty to be honest... 

But then one day i made a fancy one out of a burl that had horns and all sorts of crazy detail, and i wanted to keep it forever. I used to scrape it with a knife, then run a nail up the stem, pushing out the resin. Then i'd run a twisted aluminum wire through, that pulled out even more resin, and scrape the bowl again. It worked great. You don't want to clean a wooden pipe 100%, or else you'll burn the wood. That's why wooden pipes suck, they are literally made to taste like crap... They need to stay dirty. I'd recommend cleaning it as best as you can, and then putting it on a shelf. Basically this means you need to plan on buying a new pipe soon... The chillum got so nasty that i just forgot about it one day outside. The next day it rained. I found the pipe with a slug living in the bowl... I threw it away.

3. It's been treated and shit, it's like reusable. It's not pure wood Yknow what I'm sayin

4. #4 DabsOnTheMountain, Jan 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2015
    Then run a wire through the stem and scrape the bowl with a brass brush, knife, or another piece of wire. Take your time, get every single speck you can. Theres still isn't anything else you can do. Any solvent will soak into the wood. It's exactly what you didn't want to hear, but it's true. You gotta scrape it.

5. yeah scarping is the only way and your pipe is always going to taste to like burnt resin because it just impregnates the wood

6. #6 SkunkWoodz, Jan 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2015
    You need to get some pipe cleaners.  The ones from a tobacco shop or head shop with stiff bristles are the best.  Let the pipe heat up a bit so the resin loosens, either hit it or let it sit in the sun or oven on warm for a little bit.  Then run a few pipe cleaners through it.  You can even dip them in alcohol first to get it really clean.  

[​IMG]

7. thanks everyone, anyway I scraped it and I'll probably run some alcohol thru it, I'll invest in some pipe cleaners too