Cleaned pipe, still smells like rubbing alcohol

Discussion in 'Smoking Pipes, Glass Spoon Pipes' started by OldEnglish, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Just got my first glass pipe last week after years of smoking, i saw on here to clean it with rubbing alcohol and salt. After shaking it  I washed it out well with hot water from the tap for 10 mins yesterday after i cleaned it and a few hours later when i went to smoke a quick bowl i could still smell the alcohol abit. I submerged my bowl in a pot of boiling water earlier and can still smell it faintly..any tips how to get rid of the smell? I used 70% rubbing alcohol

2. No idea on smell.

Next time use hot water, vinegar & bi carbonate soda.

3. Air it out a few days you do not want to smoke rubbing alcohol trust me

4. Next time just use soap and water. I use dawn dishwashing detergent and a bottle brush. It works great.

5. #5 SolarToker, Aug 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2013
    Weird, I've never had an issue like that.
    I always use 90% rubbing alcohol and salt then when it's time to rinse, I use hot water under the bath spout.

6. Yeah, let it dry for a day or two. Rubbing alcohol is gross to inside

Sent from my MB865 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. Seems like i used the wrong type...it wasnt isopropyl it was ``Ethyl alcohol 70% non medical ingrediants: Bitrex, camphor, diethylphthalate and water``.

I bought 70% isopropyl alcohol the only other ingrediant is water...if i wash my pipe again with the isopropyl should it be safe to smoke out of again

8. Ahhh

Ahh, Camphor would make it smell weird. Yeah, regular isopropyl alcohol is the best bet.

9. Rinse it

Sent from my HTCONE using Grasscity Forum mobile app

That's dumb.

You can't smoke alcohol in the first place.

Any alcohol in a piece that doesn't evap on it's own can be instantly and completely flushed with water.

Alcohol has an affinity for water.

OP's issue was not that he had alcohol traces left - he had denaturant left because he used denat ethyl instead of iso.

It would have been fine had he used ethyl that wasn't denatured - aka Everclear.

The three common alcohols:

Ethyl: What you drink - typically produced through fermentation of sugars
    Isopropol: What you don't drink - rubbing alcohol - typically produced by chemical process
    Methyl: wood alky - metabolizes to formic acid - the stuff that made people go blind - typically sythesized using natural gas as a feedstock - common use: paint stripper

Other misconceptions about this pipe cleaning method:

The abrasive effect of salt is secondary.
    It's primary purpose is to pull water from the alcohol/water solution that you buy, to raise the effective concentration of iso and thereby it's solvent power.

Iso forms an azeotrope with water at 91%.

That's why that's the most pure iso you commonly find.

So the poster who started with 91% iso could have just as easily used any other abrasive - sand, crushed bones of small children - whatever.

He could have used nothing at all and the result would have been about the same -  the abrasive effect is realtively minor compared to the solvent effect.

Vinegar is somewhat effective as a solvent - more so than water - less than iso.

Adding baking soda neutralizes it.

This is often touted as a household cleaning wonder, but how it actually works is by getting someone off their ass to scrub using the baking soda as an abrasive.

Baking soda and water is just as effective for scrubbing.

Neither are effective for removing stubborn stains from a bong.

11. After cleaning, I always do a rinse with baking soda and cold water, because I loathe that alcohol smell (I mean, I want to use it right away, so I hear ya) 

It makes it perfect, like brand new

12. #12 HypnotykTripz, Jan 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2014
    You didn't happen to use nail polish remover or some crap like that? Don't use anything that isn't pure. I use 91% isopropyl alcohol and I never have that problem. Only time I ever had a leftover alcohol taste was when it wasn't pure. You can find 91% at walmart for about 3$. If you don't have that kinda money. Boil it in water

Edit:70% should work fine if other ingredient is water. 

13. Keep cleaning with hot water it will go away

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

14. #14 Travel420, Feb 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2014
    There's no need to get a pipe that clean -- as long as the resin doesn't interfere with your draw, you don't need to clean it. If the draw becomes difficult, just push the resin out physically with a pipe-cleaner or a metal rod.

That way, it will always smell like thc.

15. What if he wants to legally transport it in a state where marijuana is illegal? If there's no residue it's fine. Same thing with airplanes. I personally use formula 420. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391981962.726849.jpg

16. #16 Travel420, Feb 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2014
    You make some excellent points, Bro!

Of course, I wouldn't even try to bring a never-used pipe on a plane -- why attract so much attention and questions from those pigs?

Also, with a used pipe, if you miss just a spec of THC, you'll be arrested.

17. There is a reason. Because resin smells strong and tastes strong. It blocks the smell and taste of bud you're smoking. So cleaning buildup gives you clean tasty hits

18. I usually take a few drops of lemon/ orange juice and swirl after im done cleaning. It is way better than some foul resin smell or alcohol.

19. That is subjective: I don't mind the taste of resin.

20. And I don't either, I smoke it. But you said there is no need for cleaning a pipe, when there could be depending on people's subjective tastes.