Classical Music

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by qweezy, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Hey just wanted to point out that classical music is unbelievable when high. It is just so fucking complex and peaceful, it is perfect when your baked. A few days ago I rolled a j with some nice NYC buds and once i was high, I turned on some Mozart, needless to say it was one of the best times I have ever had when high. Probably not a smart idea to listen to with some homies as you will get some shit for it, but seriously give it a try. Who else loves some classical music when high

2. I can't say I'm a huge fan of it.

Although Bach records at 78rpms + LSD = awesome :D

3. Only someone incredibly ignorant or stupid would give you shit for listening to classical music, thankfully none of my friends are either. What Mozart were you listening to and performed by who? Classical music is beautiful.

4. I was listening to Violin Concerto Number 3, and around here, people will give you a hard time about almost anything ahaha

5. There is soo much classical music out there and it's so beautiful. I can just close my eyes, listen to the music, and let me emotions take me wherever the music flows.

I especially love piano. I think I'm going to start playing again...

6. Ignore the ignorance, gain the intelligence.

7. I get kind of bored with it sober, but it's so ridiculous when you're high and by yourself. I just type Wagner in on pandora radio and listen to whatever it brings up.

8. I posted in the Chatterbox Thread about how this afternoon, I got stoned and just went walking around my campus listening to Mozart's Requiem.

I listen to Classical music a lot; both sober and high.

I think my favorite type of classical music to listen to while high is impressionistic music. It still blows my mind that composers were able to do the same with with music as artists did with artwork. I love how everytime I listen to this type of piece, I hear it completely differently, and notice something new. There are so many layer, and everything is pieced together so very intricately. Being high brings it all to the surface a bit easier.

I love that just knowing the title of the piece sets your mind up for the superb imagery. Enough talk, I'm off to listen to some Debussy.:love:

9. zoranj, whats a really kickass classical song. Im bout to rip this bong and wanna know exactly what u mean.

10. We were required to go to classical concerts for my music 101 class last semester.

I went to most of them blazed.

Very enjoyable.

11. #11 zoranj, Jan 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2009
    Ok, well.. Impressionistic composers try to convey an atmosphere or suggest something rather than blatantly smack you in the face with it, like composers such as Beethoven did. Impressionism was a reaction against the showy, garish Romantic era.

Composers wanted you to get lost in the music. As a result, often times they genuisly wrote the music so that the concept of a steady beat is completely lost.. Even if you know nothing about music, it's easy to hear what I'm talking about if you listen.

Listen to Debussy's La Mer (The sea) or Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune (Prelude to the afternoon of a faun). A faun is a mythological creature of Roman origin. It's often thought of as being the same thing as a satyr, but they're actually kind of different. (but maybe I'm just a mythology nerd).

Other great examples to listen to would be Gaspard de la nuit, by Ravel, which is actually based in part on writing by Edgar Allen Poe. You MUST listen to La Valse by Ravel. It contains not only spectacular imagery, but also political commentary.

12. Zoranj, you should check out Debussy's solo piano preludes. They were written towards the end of his career and feature some serious sound imagery. Very programatic pieces.

Still have to say that Stravinsky is easily my favorite classical composer. Just listen to Petrouchka....so amazing.

I'm also a big fan of Messiaen, Philip Glass, Shoenberg, Hindemeth, Charles Ives, Maurico Kagel, Milton Babbit, and Bartok. Mostly from the impressionist period on.

I do need to get more into Romantic period classical though.

13. Ahh yes, rumandromanism, I LOVE Dubussy's piano preludes. I've played a few of them.

I love Stravinsky as well. I can see you like a lot of 20th century classical. I have crazy respect for Charles Ives, his music is very difficult. I must say that one of the craziest operas I have seen is Wozzeck by Alban Berg which is completely atonal, in the 12-tone system, and creepy as fuck! I love it!

14. oooh, can you play La Fille Aux Cheveux De Lin? That piece makes me tear up every time.

La Cathedrale Engloutie being a second favorite.

I'm starting to learn Stravinsky's "Three Pieces" for clarinet again...but for saxophone this time :devious:

15. La Cathedrale Engloutie gives me goosebumps every time I hear it, without fail.

16. Simple 5th Symphony is sublime....

17. I must say, this thread greatly pleases and surprises me. :hello:

18. I love Baroque for now. I might expand further into other periods of Classical Music. Bach and Vivaldi are awesome though for people just learning about classical. Easy to get into.

19. #19 zoranj, Jan 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2009
    Bach is orgasmic. He's the true master of the fugue, for sure. My choir usually performs at least 2 Bach cantatas per year.

I absolutely need to attend a live performance of the St. Matthew Passion before I die.

I can't wait to find out what pieces my choir is performing this semester. There was talk about our choir and the Loyola choir doing Carmina Burana together this spring, but I haven't heard anything more about it for months. So, if it happens, it will probably be after I graduate :cry:.

Here's a random geeky tidbit to display just how much of a music nerd I am:

The Louisiana Philharmonic is performing all of Beethoven's symphonies for their 2008-2009 season. Beethoven's ninth is being performed the night of my graduation. I bought tickets, and I'm not even phased that I'm going to be missing out on one of the last nights with all of my college friends. Besides, the concert will be over before most people start going out down here, anyway.

20. I play a bunch of Bach preludes on my saxophone as technical exercises. Shit is hard as hell but great for technique.