Claber Oasis Drip Watering System?

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by maddman, Nov 3, 2010.

1. #1 maddman, Nov 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2010
    OK, here's the story. I will be going on vacation for 10 days and I don't feel like bothering my friends to water my plants. I am also a person that loves automation. <---It's the technician in me. I only have 2 plants and I was going to go with 8 drippers. My plants will be flowering so even though the manual says don't I will put 1/8 strength nutes in it . Screw it :) Now it's time for marijuana mathematics.
    1 Dripper= 4.05 oz/Day
    8 Drippers= 32.4 oz/Day or .126 gallons per plant/day
    This will equal 2.53 Gallons of water for 10 days or 1.265 Gallons per plant for 10 days.

My question is:
    Will this be a sufficient amount of water?

Please tell me what you think. I am all ears.:smoke:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Claber-8053-4-Program-Automatic-Watering/dp/B000U5YFR4]Amazon.com: Claber 8053 Oasis 4-Program/20 Plant Garden Automatic Drip Watering System: Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

2. how often do you need to move your light up as your plants grow?

3. I am using a 126w LED and the 2 plants are auto-flowering. I chose autos for this grow specifically for your question. When I leave the plants will have stopped their stretch, more or less. My question still remains.

4. #4 Azzazal, Nov 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2010
    I would buy the blumat system instead with a 47l res with a single air stone. If you are using the above I take it you are drain to waste? That aside No way i'd risk my plants for 10days away with a small amount of water in the system you posted. Looks like a risk of blocked drippers.

5. After reading about the blumat system one spike will only provide 1L of water for 7 days max. That is significantly less water than the Oasis system. I will have my trays draining to a 5 gallon bottle and I do agree I am a little worried about the drippers. That beings said problems with the drippers usually occur due to hard water which I do not have.

So what your saying is that it needs more drippers and an air stone in the res?

6. #6 Azzazal, Nov 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2010
    The blumat maxi system and 47l res comes with 12 maxi drippers and is more than capable of feeding your plants for extended periods of time. Don't buy the bottle based ones its the maxi patio set you'd be looking for. I'd put an airstome in the res to save it going stale if your going away for a holiday. The blumat may take you a few days to dial in as you can set it so that there is no run off, The plant will only draw water when it needs to. I have done alot of research on a simple watering system, This seems about the best way to do it for me. I'm sure folks will have other methods though.
    As i said before, I would not leave my plants in the care of any electrical device that clearly states only use with water but again maybe thats just me :)

Coco & Soil - coco, profit disc, smart valve, square, 7.5 litre, coco,

* Edit You may get away with the smaller set, the one designed for small tubs, blumat patio set ( not maxi).

Hope this helps

7. Ok, now I see, that looks pretty cool. The one issue I worry about is that I have no control. Knowing how dry coco can get I worry that the drippers will be running more frequently than I want. The one thing I don't want to happen is it goes through 7.5 liters in 5 days. If I were going for a permanent solution drip system then this is the one I would go for. I also don't like the fact that I am going to have to cram those sensors into my root system.

What do you think about the amount of water the oasis will provide? Will that be enough for 10 days or should I go with more drippers? I am definitely going to put an air-stone in the res though.

8. Thank you very much for the help. Very nice and well thought out setup +rep. The oasis system is a gravity feed and not a pump feed. The only electrical component is the timer which is battery powered.

Do you think the amount of water, based on my calculations, is good for 10 days is sufficient? :smoke:

9. Nice set up you have, are you not using a drip clean product to stop blockages? My friend uses the autopots system with drip clean agent in the res and has neer had any problems. I think house and garden is the product line.

10. #10 dlpjr, Nov 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2010

I am using the claber drip watering system now, I get 175 ML every half hour with 6 feedings a day. I hooked it to my pump, and timer turns is on and off. The water is drained back to the res and then recycled back to the plants. I have a 10 gallon res, 10 days... I would be more worried about the res going dry.

11. On the website it says "Each program waters twice per day, and the amount of water is equally distributed to your plants." How do you get it to water 6 times a day? Which model do you have?

12. "Move the end of your dripper hose at the dial,and re-seat it. That should take care of any sticking and will help to clean any salt build ups.."

I got this from the webby, hoping it is of help :)

13. I set up my own pump and timer turns it off and on 6 times a day

14. I've been looking in to setting something up myself. How many plants are growing, what kind of pump, what timer do you use, and do you use 1/4inch tubing? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

15. I will get some pic to you...

But basically, I bought this drip system ( this one ), a 10 or so gallon res, painted it black, but a small pump in the res. I got the pump at lowes, and hooked the drip system to the pump. The timer turns the pump on 6 times a day, for 30 min., thats about 100 ml every half hour. The first feeding when the lights turn on, and last feeding 2 hours before the lights turn off. The other 4 feedings are divided equally between the remaining time the lights are on. If I need more or less nutrients I just change the drip rate. The plants are small now and only require the 100 ml, as they get larger I will feed them more. The rockwool cubes sit in a tray that I put a drain tube from the tray back to the res, any run off will drain to the res and get recycled back to the plants. The drip system allows you to use it for 20 plants, I only have a 400 hps and use four of them.

16. OK, now we're getting somewhere! Here's my idea let me know if you think it will work.
    Supplies:
    1- 66gph sub pump
    1- Drip kit
    1- 20g rubbermaid for the res
    1- 20g rubbermaid for runoff (I prefer not to reuse the runoff)
    1- airstone
    1- air pump for airstone
    1- aquatic timer- this will give me the ability to turn timer on 15 mins at a time. Plus I already have one.

My plan is to use a 1gph dripper and when it is on for 15mins that would be 1/4 Gallon each watering. I may get .5gph drippers and use 2 of them for each plant for better coverage. Do you thing a 66gph pump would be sufficient? Would I keep the res on the floor or level with the plants? Thanks again for the help.:smoke:

The Drip Store: DIG, Drip Irrigation Kit Model G77AS
    66 GPH Mini Submersible Pump

17. #17 dlpjr, Nov 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2010
    The pump is fine.....

I have two 12" airstones in my 10 gal tank, but I have always
    believed more oxygen is better. My air pump allows me to put two stones on it. The only problem I see is if you don’t use the run off, will you run out of food before the 10 day period is up. The pump has to be covered at all times this may take 3 or 4 gallons, maybe more depending on the size of the tank. You will have to see how many gallons it takes to keep the pump covered, subtract that from the total gallons in the tank, and see how may ¼ gal feeding you can get, from that number, not the total 20 gallon. You might be ok, but lets hope nothing keeps you longer then 10 days.

I have never had a problem with these clogging up and not working, as other have said but anytime you leave your plants alone for ten days, who knows. Murphy's Law applies......

I do think the system you are describing will work, but there are so many other variables to consider. How about your ph I think you might have a problem maintaining it in a 20 gallon tank for 10 days. I check mine everyday, and make adjustments, probably every 3 or 4 days.

18. Ok everyone I'm back. Here are my results.
    Parts:
    1- 18 Gallon storage container
    1- 66gph pump (for circulation)
    1- 250gph
    1- 6 Port Drip Manifold
    4- Spike drippers (2 for each plant)
    50ft 1/4 tubing
    1- Air pump
    1- Air Stone
    1- Rubbermaid with a 1/2 tube that empties into a 5 gallon water jug
    1- Aquarium timer

I am still trying to work out all the kinks but I think this will work for my vacation. I am keeping a log to monitor the ph and runoff amount. Since I had most of this stuff lying around I only needed to pay for rubbermaid,1/4 tubing, 66 and 250gph pumps, Manifold, and the drippers. Totaling $50. Let me know what you think. :D

Attached Files: