Cimetidine / Tagamet prolongs metabolization of THC?

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by schizophrenick, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Whilst digging through an old stoner's box of things, I found a couple sheets of Tagamet, a medication used for the treatment of ulcers and reducing stomach acid. While curious what this was, I looked it up and apparently the drug redirects the enzymes that normally metabolize THC to the pill. It supposedly extends the high of marijuana for hours, as THC is not removed from your body right away. I read a few trip reports, and people have said that one or two bowls has gotten them blown for 4-6 hours. 0_0 The standard dose being 800 mg, which is not a whole lot considering 1600 tabs are prescribed for people with ulcers.

I've researched this, and do believe I am going to try it. According to wikipedia, I should take the pills about an hour before smoking.

Here's the link: Cimetidine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And an excerpt: "It is believed that consuming Cimetidine an hour before smoking Cannabis, would potentate the Cannabis's effects. It is believed because Cimetidine inhibits the CYP-450 enzyme, and metabolism mainly occurs in the liver by cytochrome P450 enzymes CYP2C9, CYP2C19, and CYP3A4. Due to the inhibition of the CYP-450 enzyme, THC, the psychoactive substance in Cannabis, would not be able to be metabolized until the inhibition of the CYP-450 enzyme is lifted, which may take hours, thus increasing the duration of its effect."

Sorry for the long post. Anyone have any experience or idea's on this? Extended usage of Tagamet / Cimetidine can cause impotence in men. I think I'll try it once. xD

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Bump. My tolerance is getting too damn high and I want to find the "magic pill" that'll make my high last longer.

Anyone have info on this?

3. #3 denieddd, Jun 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2012
    dude you just made my freakin day by telling me how to get blitted for longer

tolerance is wayyyyyy up there

"Cimetidine interferes with metabolism of the hormone estrogen, enhancing estrogen activity. In women, this can lead to galactorrhea, whereas in men, gynecomastia has been reported;[14] during postmarketing surveillance in the 1980s, cases of male sexual dysfunction were also reported."

^ not cool, not trying to lose my boner to get higher -__-

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. tell me how this shit works.

5. Something about man boobs and a limp dick, should be enough to deter anyone from trying this. Personally Ill keep my ridiculous tolerance, sounds better than Galactorrhea.

6. Good idea, but I'm unsure the benefits outweigh the possible catastrophic outcomes.

7. This shit works dude.

Take about 800mg-1200mg of the cimetidine, wait about a half hour to 45 minutes and then smoke up. You'll be flying so high and it makes the high not only last longer but peak for longer.

Try it for real

8. I'll probably try it once just for the experiencw, but I'm sure it has some negative long-term effects. Where would you even get this stuff? Prescription?

9. No it's OTC dude you can get it at any grocery store with a pharmacy.

10. Don't you think if that worked people would be doing it all the time?  Are you saying you did it and worked?

• Like Like x 1
  11. OP has not followed up to this post in 5 years.

I pronounce OP dead from Ulcer meds and marijuana double OD.

Sent from my XT1080 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. I'm super rusty on biology and pharmacokinetics, but I thought cyp-450 worked in the gut (maybe the small intestine). Maybe it would work on edibles.

Tagament is some funky stuff though, it potentiates a few things. I've just never heard of it doing so for smoking weed.

I'm really feeling thoses missing brain cells now.

13. Aren't these proton pump inhibitors? I take 300 mg of zantac a day for debilitating GERD and it doesn't do a damn thing for my out of this world tolerance.

14.  I wonder how I came across this thread, anyway sometime in the last five years Wiki has deleted the references OP quoted claiming cimetidine potentiates cannabis.  By the way, neither Zantac or cimetidine are proton pump inhibitors and although some say they work as well they don't for me.

15. magic pill lol!!!

so now your tolerance is going through the roof and hurtling towards the moon at ever increasing speeds!!

ITS A BIRD.......
    ITS A PLANE.....
    NO...ITS MY TOLERANCE RIDING THE TAGAMET TRAIN TO THE FUCKING MOON BIOTCHEZZZ!!!

eh, sorry......i am really high :metal:

16. While it doesn't help cannabis, evidently cimetidine actually does potentiate some unmentionables.  That's probably where the myth started.  The part about tolerance is silly, though.  I guess if it really did work it would increase tolerance but so does smoking more or smoking better.

17. Speaking of not updating this thread in 5 years....

So I'm here because my stomach meds sometimes get me wayyyy too high with cannabis. (At least I think that's what's happening.) And I don't understand how.

So I take cholestyramine powder (bile acid binder) at night and I usually smoke all day. I scored some edibles and popped 2 of them. Then I got 2 sips into my cholestyramine drink and shit went nuts. Immediately became ridiculously nauseous and dizzy and super hot. My whole body was sweating profusely and I went completely limp. Very close to losing consciousness.

That freaked me out, but I checked it up to cholestyramine and edibles don't mix....BUT

Then I smoked a kief bowl 2 nights ago and the same shit happened. Now I'm terrified and trying to switch meds. Can anyone confirm what's happening and how to prevent it?

18. Anybody notice any problems from this

Does this stuff negatively affect your liver long term?

I ask because I am an Alcoholic that switched to Cannabis

• Like Like x 1
  19. Fools and wizards have always debated
    shouting at winds that have long since abated
    philosophers and scholars have studied the angles
    but in thirteen long years none have mentioned the mangoes

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1