Cigars, are they addictive?

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by smoke da weed, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Every now and then I enjoy a fine cigar, for special occasions such as birthdays and what not. I really enjoy the art of smoking, but not a big fan of cigarettes due to their addictive properties. Would I form a physical dependance to these babies if I had say one or two a weekend, or since I'm not inhaling are they un-addictive altogether?

All replies appreciated.

2. just a little info.

. Cigars are addictive.
    Cigar smoke breaks down in saliva, allowing the smoker to easily absorb nicotine through the lining of the mouth in quantities sufficient to cause addiction, even if the smoke is not inhaled. And, the amount of nicotine in a single cigar is many times greater than what is found in a cigarette. A typical cigarette contains one to two milligrams of nicotine, while the nicotine content of a cigar is 100 to 200 milligrams, with some as high as 400 milligrams.

3. It's the nicotine that's addictive and just because you're holding the smoke in your mouth doesn't mean you're not getting it, so yes.

4. Yeah they are, but i can't blame you for liking them man. They're nice on a special occasion I've got to admit :D if you smoke them sparingly then you should easily be able to control an addiction before it gets to that :wave:

5. Yes they are addictive because it is still tobacco and tobacco has nicotine. The amount of nicotine in a cigar is enough to kill.

I have never gotten why people like cigars

6. The same reason why people like any tobacco product?

Burning a NICE, slow-burning cigar on a friends back porch on a summer night is extremely relaxing.

And to the OP: Yes, cigars are addictive. Unless you think Nicotine isn't addictive.

7. Ive smoked cigars on and off since i was 18 (24 now) maybe 5-6 a month max and im not addicted...although all people are different when it comes to addictions.

8. Thanks for the replies everyone, I'll just keep them to a minimum.

9. Just thought I might point out that your statement makes it sound like you are indeed hooked on cigars. You have been smoking them for 6 years...Not saying you are, because one could say they are addicted to anything they do repeatedly, in the loosest use of the word.

10. Nope definitely not addicted, ive gone for months without a smoke and never felt any kind of withdrawal type symptoms. I just dont have the "addictive personality" or whatever, it runs in my family.

11. I enjoy them once every few years.

If you begin a habitual, frequent, regular schedule however, it's not guaranteed, but you are much more likely to end up addicted.

12. Smoke cigarettes and I still don't see any reason to try cigars.

13. OK, well that's just your personal preference. Obviously plenty of people enjoy them.... or they wouldn't be sold. :rolleyes:

14. Doesn't answer my question though

15. cigars are addictive but with moderation you should be safe.

by moderation i would say one a week is reasonable. your not really addicted to nicotine unless you can go 3 days without a smoke.

if a smoker goes cold turkey for a week that smoker is pretty much rid of his addiction but he could easily start up again if he picked up another smoke.

16. Your question was already answered.

17. Yes, it was. Please read before you respond. Thank you. :rolleyes:

18. It's the same reason people like other tobacco products. That's not an answer.

Either way, forget it. Doesn't matter.

19. Yes, that is an answer. An answer up to your high expectations? Apparently not.

It doesn't matter. But don't act like your question wasn't answered.

20. I think you've been smoking too much weed. It's already been said, it's personal preference. Simple as that.

Also, could someone recommend me some cigars to try. I prefer more mild and creamy, I get tongue bite real easily. The only premium brands I have tried and nubs and rocky patels.