Cigarettes: Why?

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by 221010, Dec 2, 2012.

1. I'm quite curious.

For a while I was very against cigarettes. Then I smoked my first cigarette. Wow. Pretty damn good. I got "in to" smoking, buying my own packets and smoking socially with people.

I was walking through my house one day and realized I craved a cigarette. This is when I sort of started to think "uh oh." I think a week or two after, I tried to stop smoking altogether. When others around me were smoking I'd feel intense urges of jealousy, I wanted just a couple of puffs so badly! Especially when I'd been drinking, the lure of a smoke was powerful. I'd often give in.

This in-and-out of "giving up" and "giving in" went in circles for a few months or so. Eventually I decided to stop disallowing smoking, and say that I'm allowed it if I wanted. I smoked a bit too much one night and felt a bit sick, and from then on, I didn't *want* to smoke. It wasn't just because of the smoking a bit much, but that combined with the horrible health effects, and my already-existent desire to smoke, it was easy.

--

My question though: why do a lot of smokers not want to quit?
    It puzzles me on how someone can be so devoid of the greatness of life in that they don't have the desire to make such a massive change for their health.

"Tobacco is the only consumer product that kills half its users when used as the manufacturer intends"

I have quite a few smoking friends, and all I ever see them do is try to "cut down." They'll frequently boast to me about how they've only smoked X amount for the past X days. It puzzles me that they always end up going back to smoking - if they've already achieved a reduction in smoking, keep working on it!

They always end up going into some sort of "not caring" limbo where they continue to smoke without the urge to quit.

I've gotta ask - where's the urge to quit?
    Why is it so nonexistent among so many smokers?

2. I never understood cigarettes, taste like asshole and battery acid and has no medicating properties. Not to mention each pack takes like a week off your life

3. My dad has stopped smoking now after smoking for the past 30 years and he says that if he makes it to 90 he'll start smoking again because he genuinely enjoyed smoking and the taste of tobacco. The only reason he really quit was because of all the shit the family gave him about how bad it is for you; so yeah, I'm pretty sure there are people out there who truly enjoy the taste and feeling from tobacco. Doesn't help that it's addictive, too.

4. I've been an on and off cigarette smoker since I was 16 years old. I honestly don't know why I always start again. I know it's horrible for my health, yet in times of stress in my life I find myself craving one. I've made the mistake of associating cigarettes with a natural part of life and so I find myself buying a pack once in a while. Honestly I even like the taste and the feeling of smoking. I have a really addictive personality and it really sucks buts I know if I work on it I'll quit for good.

5. Interesting, congratulations on him for quitting :)
    There's no doubt that people enjoy cigarettes. People enjoy a whole shitload of things that are terrible for them, unmentionables for example. Its really a case of "is it worth it" - wherein the answer is always no.

6. I think its just too much of a slow suicide for many people to feel a urgent need to stop. Its more of like yea it might kill me in 30 or 40 years but theres plenty of time to quit before then. But then they just say that same thing everyday for years because theyre addicted.

7. Good point hurb. They're not getting cancer *today* - so why quit today?

8. [​IMG]

One thing I'm particularly keen to follow is the SmokeFree New Zealand by 2025 initiative.
    The NZ government has set 2025 as their goal for an entirely SmokeFree New Zealand. The price of cigarettes goes up by 10% every year - approximately $1.50 per year.
    Generates an ass-load of money for the government, and significantly reduces smoking rates. There's also constant "Smoking - Not our future" television and radio campaigns constantly being broadcast.

The reason "doing it to look cool" definitely could never apply in NZ anymore.

9. I recently quit after smoking about 20 years..I haven't smoked in about 3 months (not keeping track) ...what amazes me most is I can't imagine smoking again...it's just completely lost it's allure for me. I constantly hang out with friends that still smoke and I don't get that jealous feeling at all.

I had tried quitting before and it didn't work out. I never thought I'd be able to quit...I was kinda a crackhead when it came to smoking...waking up in the middle of the night to smoke..smoking while eating...even if I only had a 1 minute walk from the car to the store, I'd make sure to squeeze in a few puffs. When I did cactually quit, it happened unexpectedly...I was at the store getting a pop and was waiting in line when suddenly I thought - "man I don't need that shit" ..and that was it...I didn't buy another pack of smokes..just decided to quit right there while standing in line at a gas station. There was no - "ok I'm gonna quit after this pack" or '"ok , here's the final cigarette I'm gonna ever smoke" no drama no bs at all...and it worked for me.

Since I've quit I feel 10x better. I actually feel happier, not to mention proud of myself a little ;) and I can actually take nice deep full breaths now...before if I tried to take a deep full breath it would make me cough.

I do smoke a hell of alot more weed now though....

sorry if this is a little long winded...I just hope it inspires someone...I can't express how much better I feel after quitting...just an overall feeling of happiness that I didn't expect...laughing more, smiling more ...etc..

I don't feel like something is missing from my life ..instead I feel like I was missing out on something :smoking:

10. Congratulations Bongsauce !
    Its amazing how things lose all of their allure once you "break through" the addiction and realize how shit they are eh?

I was reading that you're four times more likely to stop smoking if its a sudden thing, like you described. Sometimes those spontaneous decisions can be all we need to facilitate huge change in our lives.

I'm very happy for you man :) Enjoy your smokefree life! :D

11. I only smoke while drunk.... and i do smoke way more than my friends when im drunk... My friends are normal everyday smokers..... while myself hardly smoke ciggys while sober, but i tend to smoke way more than my friends while drunk

12. i don't care what any smoker says. cigarettes taste like shit and you only started to be cool

13. Hmm, It's weird.
    Ive quit smoking, I only vape.

However If I knew a asteroid the size of Texas was heading to earth. I would definitely smoke a 20 pack. :smoke:

14. I quit after 6 yrs..sucks being around it now my clothes and hat stink just from being in a room where people smoke and they dont even have to smoke while im there

15. Both my parents died from lung cancer, both were lifelong smokers as well. I smoked from age 13 till I quit at 26, I've never smoked another one and never will. I have heard people that are addicted to hard drugs say it's harder to stop smoking cigs than that garbage...

16. #16 Michaelrdnr, Dec 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2012
    It's just hard to face a life without cigarettes, especially once you've become emotionally attached and physically addicted.

Ever since my mid-teen years I've had an infatuation with mind-altering substances. I've experimented with all, been addicted to few, over-came addiction with one, and now I'm left still smoking stoges. For me it's that I've developed an intense urge to indulge in some chemical relief. I feel like I need something, and cigarettes fill that void. Every smoke for me is like a 3 minute break from my life. All I know is that I am smoking a cigarette and enjoying it, and nothing else matters at that point.

And it's not as if I accept that that's how I am, but I don't fully deny it either. When it comes to my drug tendencies, I've psychoanalyzed myself over and over again, and even once I've rationalized quitting to the fullest degree I always fall back to the brutal, natural truth, which I stated above. That I am dependent on cigarettes and that it will take more than just a few measly attempts at quitting to defeat them. I'd have to re-condition my life entirely, rearrange and reinforce my values and much more.

God'damn't, this makes me wanna smoke.
    Headin to the garage now.

17. Too bad the FDA won't step up and control the additives and nicotine levels in tobacco. If they did they could lower the amount of nicotine gradually over a few years making cigs much less addictive and much easier to quit....too simple an answer I guess....

18. Eeeeeexactly.

19. It is.... indeed.

20. you only commented on my thread to torture me with your quesadillas :p

Congratz man :) :yay:
    cigarette stench is the worst - I hate it.

I'm so sorry to hear Jmick. Congratulations on quitting after thirteen years :) :yay:

"I'd have to re-condition my life entirely, rearrange and reinforce my values and much more."

What better time than now?
    It will only get harder as time goes on. If you're in this deep, swimming deeper will only increase your likelihood of drowning.

Its quite common to hear ex-smokers saying that giving up was the best thing they ever did in their life. You too, can have have that achievement to your name.

The system does no one favors. Lobbying and corporate interests have fucked this world. I'm guessing lowering the nicotine levels would possibly increase consumption, therefore increasing the harmful effects (2X the amount of smoke for the same level of nicotine).

I reckon the yearly price hikes are the way to go. Gives smokers more and more of an incentive to quit, sends a clear message that smoking is nobody's future, and massively dis-incentivizes new smokers.