cigarettes burning near plants?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by luv2chief, Dec 24, 2007.

1. i went over this dudes house the other day and he had cigarettes burning around his plants, he said it helps with the co2 or something...just wonderin if anybody has heard of it? thanks

2. I haven't heard of it but I'd think it'd be harmful to the plants due to all the carbon monoxide and stuff in the smoke.

Unrelated to your question, I know tomato growers don't let people smoke tobacco around their plants, but this is because tomatoes and tobacco are in the same family of plants and the tobacco mosaic virus will transfer from the cigarettes to the tomato via the smoke.

3. cigs are made with poision. if it hurts u it hurts ur plants. smoke bud round them tho:D

4. sorry smoking bud around your plants is gonna hurt them just as bad.

5. one time i planted tobacco and tomatoes with each other and a wonderful plant came out and i decided to name it tomacco.

lolsimpsons

6. i mean no disrespect but how the hell can a virus thats in the tobacco after being burned by the cherry transfer into the smoke and onto tomatos and yet still be aive to infect the tomato?it just does not seem right i would think any virus in tobacco would be consumed by the Cherry.

7. Regardless, smoke of any sort is full of particulate matter that can interfere with stoma/plant respiration. Don't do it.

8. haha's all around

9. i read somewhere nicotine is poisonous to the potplants...

10. Why wouldn't it be? It's poisonous to us and a pot plant is a much less (relatively speaking) complex organism and a much smaller one to boot than we humans.

11. cigarette smoke has a lot of carbon MONoxide not carbon DIoxide. maybe that's what your friend is confused about.

don't do it. it wont necessarily hurt the plants, but your crop will smell like shit and most likely taste like even shittier shit

12. oops!

For years I've believed exactly what I posted there, but I just checked it and I found I got it slightly wrong! :eek:

"Cigars, cigarettes, and pipe tobaccos can be infected with tobacco mosaic virus. Handling these smoking materials contaminates the hands, and subsequent handling of plants results in a transmission of the virus. Therefore, do not smoke while handling or transplanting plants."

..that makes more sense! ..sorry. :(

13. hey its all good :D
    have a good one!:smoking:

14. lol shit. i grow in my apt. and i rip cigs like a mad man inside. plant seems to love it though but maybe i will stick to smoking outdoors from now on.:mad:

15. why change what works, we dont know for sure if its bad....we think it might be....or maybe were lying...hmmm....

j/k just cut down on smoking..good for u...good for plants (maybe)

16. ha i just figured he was a dumbass i dont smoke cigarettes but if i did i sure as hell wouldnt do it around my pllants that im workin so hard on

17. Yeah, I doubt they'd think it was very amusing.