Church of satan....?

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Digit, Aug 6, 2006.

1. http://www.churchofsatan.com/home.html

ok, theriz has posted this in the thread about the strange associations with weed, and upon reading even the first line of this, i thought it sensible to just start a whole new thread for this topic....

The very first line is a lie.

ok?

"Welcome to the official website of the Church of Satan. Founded on April 30, 1966 c.e. by Anton Szandor LaVey, we are the first above-ground organization in history openly dedicated to the acceptance of Man’s true nature—that of a carnal beast, living in a cosmos which is permeated and motivated by the Dark Force which we call Satan."

i emboldened the area that best depicts the error (or "lie" if you will).

either they are trapped in an arrogance state, or they are intentionally trying to decieve, and given what i have heard from a friend not two million miles away from the topic, i'd have to lean towards the lie answer given the quote, "ya know, satan is quite prone to lying" or words to that effect.

far from the first... hasn't taoism been about that ver acceptance for um.... 2500 years plus? and, that's just the post Lao Tsu stuff.... to call it Taoism is merely a somewhat formalisation of truth many times more ancient than that, and at least Tao can respect the schools of thought that suggest we can rise above and beyond, some call it evolution, lest we would have remained single celled organisms.

not only taoism, but through various forms of vedantic knowledge, there are many opposing views, many of which suggest that best way to overcome many of our more "beastly" dessires is to succumb to them! and thats as old if not older than any formal tao in human literature. And what of all the smaller lesser known "tribalistic" cultures and philosophies across the entire globe....!?

it occurs to me that there are very clever ploys in play to protect itself, to deter readers from~ nay, to encourage readers to deny imediately any lesson that could be learned from mythos... i smell the breading of ignorance and partialism.

anyways... if you are reading the rest of it.... use both hands. be whole. and take great conscious care of what attachments you make to your hands. and if you know them... keep an eye out for hypnotic trigger statements, i noticed a few just in that first paragraph. just valences? meh.

"The mediator between head and hands must be the heart" - Metropolis.

anyways...

Namaste.
    Ahimsa.

2. Ok I am not a huge expert on Taoism, I know a bit, and I did some research, and I think there is a few key differences and may have a response countering the claim that the opening statement is a lie.

Taoism, although it seems to be grounded on a belief that that 'self' is very important, it clearly ventures elsewhere from this based on taoist beliefs and precepts. I bolded things that are noticeably and uniquely different.

• The Tao caused the creation of the universe.
    • The Tao is the energy that flows through all life.
    • The Tao surrounds everyone in the form of nature.
    • Everyone must observe and reflect on nature to find enlightenment.
    • An adherent’s goal is to become one with the Tao.
    • Everything in the universe is the Tao.
    • The many gods are manifestations of the one Tao.
    • Everything is cyclical.
    • Each person must nurture the Tao or 3 bodily energies (Jing, Ch’i, Shen) through activities such as exercise and meditation.
    • One should be prudent and think before acting.
    • People are inherently good.
    • Follow the art of wu wei: let nature take its course.
    • Practice detachment.
    - Wikipedia (perhaps not a great source, but a good one nonetheless)

and also

• From the Tao arises (one unified force or path from where all things in the universe arise), yin and yang-the dual nature of all manifestations of the Tao.
    • Act in accordance with one's nature.
    • One should find the correct perspective for one's mental activities until one finds a deeper source for guiding one's interaction with the universe (see 'wu wei' below). Desire created through the influence of society's artificial values hinders one's ability to understand The Way (see also karma). In essence, most Taoists feel that humans should appreciate life as it is according to each individual's capabilities, rather than desire a life predicated by the demands of society, that is beyond their reach. Desires are the source of expectations and the disconnect betweens one's expectations and the reality of one's life is a source of suffering.
    • Oneness: By realizing that all things (including ourselves) have their origin in the Tao, we come to see all things as they are, and ourselves as a simple part of the current moment. This understanding of oneness leads us to an appreciation of life's events and our place within them as simple miraculous moments which "simply are" in the present.
    • Duality, the opposition and combination of the Universe's two basic principles of Yin and Yang (Simplified Chinese) forms a large part of the basic philosophy. Some common associations with Yang and Yin, respectively, include: male and female; light and dark; active and passive and motion and stillness.
    Taoists believe that neither side out-ranks or surpasses the other; indeed, neither can exist without the other, as they form equal aspects of the whole. They ultimately provide an artificial distinction based on our perceptions, so only our perception of them really changes. See taiji.
    • Taoism sees existence as an interplay between three elements: the individual; society and its artificial values; the principles of Nature. In order to lead a contented life, the individual must understand the principles of Nature, the values of the social structure in which he must forge a life, and his own internal wants and needs. According to Taoism, what is good and bad varies over time and between societal groups, therefore, unlike the principles that guide Nature, the values of a given society are arbitrary and artificial.
    Sorry about posting it in this way, but I felt it maye be necessary...anyway, here goes.

Satanism does not deny that it has roots in this type of thinking. "Since Satanism stands for acceptance of Man as an animal, there have often been creators in many past cultures who embraced this insight and explored it in the context of their society, thus we seek out these artisitic and philosophical expressions and see them to be the roots of our current awareness." - The link to Peter Gilmore's essay

The reason I believe this statement is not a lie is because of the strict emphasis on Human nature. In Taoism, there is the "Tao" that is the true influence of nature, and on 'energy'. Satanism I believe would not accept this at all and would emphasize ONLY that it is human, carnal nature and that is ALL.

In the event of getting too long winded or out of context, I'll stop there for now and see what you think.

3. one word: Paganism.

4. theres other things going on besided the "human".
    just because it hides its misleading lie in a truth, doesnt mean it's not a deception, one i might add in this case aimed at procuring a status of the grandeous in this case.

anyways...

ye cant just say that one word rastaman. alot of people attatch very different things to that word.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paganism
    http://www.scroogle.org/cgi-bin/nbbw.cgi?Gw=Paganism
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=define:paganism&btnG=Google+Search

5. Very true, but i'm so fatigued today, so just pretend i made so long interesting post, please? :p

6. #6 naku06, Aug 9, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    so many different variations of paganism just as all other religions. from the neo-wiccan to traditional skyclad.

are not most belief systems guilty of this from time to time?

7. Actually I believe they have their facts incorrect, this man was originally said to be a 'devil worshipper,' which is different from Satanism, because Satanists don't believe in God or the Devil.

8. those are the people im gonna be fighting with lightsabers one day.

9. The Riz,

just outta curiosity, would you consider yourself to be a satanist? and does the iconography of satanism stem back to "Pan" the forrest god origins?

ps,
    sorry for my initial over emotionally reactionary responce to it. it just reeked to much of self importance and ignorance of the world as a whole, and certainly missed out a whole universe of evidence to the (partial at least) contrary. been around too long to let shit slip by my highermind's ever awareness.

pps

couldnt resist adding this little other bit

in various modes of vedanta & hinduism, the differing views of how one should yoga their way about our dessires and urges is still much argued. i'm sure few preatch either extreme (total abstenance and celebacy, and, total indulgence and "nymphomania"esqness), and indeed the very buddhist "middle way" allowing an acceptance of the whole. and any church or school of philosophy that teaches either extreme is by its very nature, unwhole. anyways, its about salvation, in whichever guise it comes. :)

10. I own and have read a copy of the Satanic Bible by Anton Lavey. It's not that complicated. It's just a selfish religion with a hint of bitterness towards christianity. The term Satanism is because Satan is the anti-god, the idea they are trying to break down, not that they believe in a Satan.

11. Well Digit at this point I'd say I'm not exactly sure, but I most certainly agree with a lot of what they have to say....but I also disagree with some things. Before I would commit myself to it, I would have to do extensive research. I am also unfamiliar with "Pan" so I can't comment on the iconography issue, sorry. ;)

12. fucked up shit

13. o well,
    pan.
    since looking into the names of the moons around saturn, and some of the rather negative conotations some astrologers ascribe to that most beuatiful of planets, the innermost moon is also called pan. all very amusing.