Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Chronic pain

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by willieb1989, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Hello, my name is will I'm from NW Pennsylvania. It isn't legal here to smoke cannabis. Well I have had 4 major back surgeries and have had chronic pain since 2004 and have been on major narcotics since then. For the last 2 years the oxycotten and the oxycodon have not been working. Along with the other nerve meds and other meds. Well I think my only chance to live without main or minimal pain is to use medical cannabis. Since it isn't legal to use it or anything I have no way to get it or know anyone that I can even get none legal medical from. Or know if I could get it what strain will work. I go most days that I can't even get out of bed the pain is so bad. Anyone have any idea if what I should do. Please help me. I can't live life anymore with all this pain.Thanks, WilliamSent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. Moving isn't a option with having a son and having split custody with his mom. Probably best way till they legalize it on pa is by finding someone that brings some back from Colorado or Cali illegally.Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

3. #4 Honokiol, Jan 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2014
    You can black market no one here will look down on you.  Recipes for making pain killers from cannabis are every where on the net I have one in my blog but it needs some work.  Trim is fine and can be in expensive or free if you know a black market grower and he trusts you to take the fall your self if you get caught disposing of the evidence that he or she can't sell from their grow.

I recommend topical application as superior for most pain relief it is as easy as washing the pot in booze or isopropyl alcohol and rubbing the tincture of hemp you just made where it hurts or soaking a gauze pad in the tincture and use it as a poultice.  it can get as complex as you are willing to make it after that.  If what you made is not strong enough you can concentrate your tincture by evaporating off some or all of the alcohol it is work that should be done out doors for safety.  If you evaporate all of the alcohol away the sludge left behind is hash oil.  Weigh the container you will be cooking in before and after you boil off the alcohol and you will know how much hash oil you made but your scale will need to be accurate to the gram to make a consistent pain killer.  Add 1/4 cup of a moisturizing lotion per gram of hash oil to start.  Adjust to taste. If your going to mix in the pot you cooked in you might want to think about starting strong 1/8 C / 1 gm and cut the dose if it is too strong.

There are also lesser known sources of plant cannabinoids that are not pot and wont get you high or busted but still work for pain.  Most of the traditional herbal medical systems are full of plants active at cannabinoid neuroreceptors or other neuroreceptors that THC can act on.  In my opinion they work better mixed into pot because of synergy between cannabinoids than they do separately.  Members of my family who wont use cannabis use them with great success. 

Do a google search of any of the following plants accompanied by the word cannabinoid.
    List 1
    Magnolia
    Oregano
    Echinacea

List 2
    Turmeric

At least in Ayurveda and I think also in Traditional Chinese Medicine plants on list 1 would not be used with plants on list 2 because the effects of one appear to lessen the effects of the other.  Turmeric is an inverse agonist like capsaicin and while it has a long history in use for our kind of pain it goes better with other things like Black pepper. List 1 to my knowledge is a list of agonists similar to THC.  Black pepper is a helper medicine that makes the primary medicine in many plants more available to the patient but I do not yet know if it also works well for list 1.  I'm still studying the research.

Prickly Ash aka Sichuan pepper goes on list 1 for the same reasons that Echinacea is there.  The searches that would prove it are a little obscure but you can get there from the active ingredient in the Echinacea.

If you read medical literature the plant list in this paper may help you also with ideas about Sacred Plant Medicines that are not illegal where you are if legality is an issue for you and you don't want to look up a black market resource.

Identification of Novel Anti-inflammatory Agents from Ayurvedic Medicine for Prevention of Chronic Diseases
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3170500/?report=classic

A Comprehensive Review on Pharmacotherapeutics of Herbal Bioenhancers
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3458266/?report=classic

4. I like the concentrates

5. I would go to the black market but I know no one that grows or know anyone that I can get actual medical from and not some dirt weed that I've seen around my area. Wish I had connections but I don't. Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

6. #7 Honokiol, Jan 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2014
    Cheep we can't sell it for much dirt weed is great shake is even better.  I make most of my medicine from shake I don't care about what strain it is and I live in a medical state.  Even medical growers make concentrates that way.  The flowers sell for way too much money to go into concentrates unless you grow your own.  Low prices high volume.  Try making a tincture to start.  Use just enough alcohol to get the sticky stuff off the weed.

7. Ok that's a good idea. What is best method and safest for making a tincture? Also what is the best way to make dabz stuff. Almost like liquid syrup consistency.Thanks for all the helpSent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

8. Cannabinoids have great analgesic properties that make medical marijuana an effective medicine to treat many diseases, specially chronic pains. Patients specifically experience pain relief. Talk to your medical marijuana doctor about obtaining any license needed to use legally.

9. #10 Honokiol, Jan 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2014

For just tincture rubbing or drinking alcohol is best.  If taken internally drinking alcohol.  No special precautions unless you plan to concentrate the tincture then you don't want to kill your self with the fumes or blow your self up so work outside or with all the doors and windows open and a good cross breeze.

I make infused oils to +/- eat and topicals to rub where it hurts.

I don't vape much maybe a few times a year during hay fever season and smoke even less.  Does not go well with my asthma treatment.  I didn't learn to make dabz stuff but I'd like to learn.  It works well in the infused oils I make.

10. [quote name="Honokiol" post="19317187" timestamp="1389400723"]For just tincture rubbing or drinking alcohol is best. If taken internally drinking alcohol. No special precautions unless you plan to concentrate the tincture then you don't want to kill your self with the fumes or blow your self up so work outside or with all the doors and windows open and a good cross breeze.I make infused oils to +/- eat and topicals to rub where it hurts.I don't vape much maybe a few times a year during hay fever season and smoke even less. Does not go well with my asthma treatment. I didn't learn to make dabz stuff but I'd like to learn. It works well in the infused oils I make.[/quote]Thanks hobokiol really appreciate it. I'm going to have to try and find someone I can get some cannabis from to try to make the tincture first.Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

11. #12 noluck, Feb 16, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
    I'm a newbie to this site, I have read Pennsylvania is on the list of states considering medicinal use, hopefully u won't have to wait much longer. You mentioned the same medical issues i have. About 3 years ago I tried using cannabis as an opiate alternative without much success. The damage from the pills started a few years back and the damage is done, the pain continues. Recently a friend of my daughters gave her this purple kush for me to see if that would help. And it did ! It snuck up on me and all of a sudden I realized I wasn't hurting. I knew nothing of strains, ect. Now I'm learning. God gives us great things at times. I don't support breaking the law but this stuff being illegal anywhere is just wrong. With the storm brewing across this country I don't believe any judge in his right mind should convict anyone seeking relief from chronic pain. Like I mentioned, I'm new, I'm finding it way more expensive than using prescription drugs
    And if you grow the estimates on the electric bills are substantial. Best of luck to you, be careful an don't burn out your liver like I did.

12. Thanks man, I'm going to Colorado for the cannabis cup and I'll make sure I find purple kush. I really have only smoked a couple times but never for pain. But now I'm on so much meds and not effecting me at all and causing so many more problems.

Was the purple kush just cannabis or was it a tincture or extract or what? Heard the extracts like shatter is double the strength from what I heard helps a lot more.

Glad to hear your getting relief.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

13. From what I have learned, any type kush relieves pain, but i don't know for sure, I don't know what a tincture is, what I used were buds an I stuck em in my pipe. I believe it to be a sativa blended with some percentage of indica. My learning's so far is that true Hindu kush Iz a sativa and will put you on the couch

14. Indicas are what will give you couch lock and pain relief. Sativas are a head buzz meant for a daytime smoke. Hindu Kush (like every other real kush strain) is Indica or Indica-dominant. 

15. you will get relief from tinctures and edibles and smoking or vaping. there is so many ways but it is experimentation that will lead you to your own personal discovery of your health and cannabis. your questions of where to find cannabis and how to make the cannabis work for your situation is what everybody is going to be asking. how much longer before our representatives figure out we want our personal health and subsequent happiness much more than their fucked up drug policies. sheeeeesh!!!

16. So I had it backwards, thanks jeff

17. Hey there Willie,

Congratulations, you're the first post i'll respond to here!  I don't know about your cannabis availability, and obviously the lab testing of your strains will be limited to none, but I do have some insight as to what you should be looking for.

As per the National Institute of Health, the two best cannabinoids for treating pain are THC and CBD.  Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2503660/

Additionally, a Sativa strain may cause unnecessary anxiety -- try to stick to Indica, since they're typically higher in CBD anywayx.  That being said, CBD can have a bit of a sedative affect on people, so it may not be something that you can smoke all day.

Thanks man, you make me feel special :)  

I appreciate the help. Since I'm going to colorado in a few months for the cannabis cup i wanna see what helps me. Since i live in Pa nothings legal here and i can never find any good stuff around here. So i got a lot to try in the 5 days I'm in colorado. Wish i could bring some back. I know a lot of people that need medical cannabis for the pain and cancer. But  i really appreciate everyones help.  

Does anyone Know of any edible companies in colorado that are good and help?

will

19. #20 Honokiol, Feb 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2014

Is there is any "Ditch Weed" in PA.?  Even though it doesn't have much medicine on it and wont get you high, most of what it does have is CBD in case that is an option there.  Was talking to a fellow from Iowa a while back who had that option available much later in the season than I had expected.  I wonder how it came out for him.  CBD is great for pain when you can get it.  You just have to extract it.  It may also take a small pickup truck full to make enough medicine to be worth the effort.