Christmas = Celebration of Materialism

Discussion in 'General' started by Et Cetera, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Is there really any doubt? The elements of love and brotherhood are nothing but tools used to prop up the annual excuse for everyone to consume, to buy and trade, to celebrate the acquiring of stuff. Toward the end of every year people wax poetically about good will toward our fellow man, but that sentiment goes away without fail after January's hangovers.

It's simple math, really: if Christmas is a celebration of something good about mankind, then why does it end? Why not celebrate that good stuff every day? I'll tell you why. We can't afford it. We don't celebrate without spending. We intertwine commerce with altruism and program our kids to be excited about Gift-Getting Day. (Not that we humans need much provoking to want more, but social encouragement certainly doesn't help much.) This is counter-productive, and it's why Christmas is a sham and a scam.

Yes, I'm a grinch, but that's because the word is loaded. It's used specifically to disparage someone that's against Consumer Season. I say, bring on the snowmen, the caroling, the church bells, the wreaths, the alcohol, the relatives... but leave the gifts at the store. You want to show me you care? Then care sometime other than the time that it's expected of you. I don't need or want you to get me something that I avoided getting the other 364 days of the year.

2. Good post! I know exactly what you mean. My friends all claim to be atheists yet they love Christmas and try to justify how you don't have to follow a religion to practice it:confused: It is the birthday of Christ after all.....

3. It's not Jesus's birthday anyway, I'm an athiest and I love christmas just because everyone is so happy and giving/getting is fun and nice as you will ever see some ppl. I think the world would be even a more horrible place without religion, because it just keeps some people sane. I have a friend that is VERY christian and me being an atheist doesn't bother him, but both of his parents are ALWAYS happy. Makes me feel good being around them. You can't argue that you love thinking back when you were a kid and life was simple, watching chrismas specials on TV with your grandma/mom/other family eating loads of good food in a warm, cozy house :love:

4. My bad, it's to commemorate the birth of Jesus. I understand it's also about being with friends and family, but you gotta admit, if there weren't any gifts, it would not be as good. Religion is the cause of many wars and millions of deaths, if you practice it, good for you, just don't impose it upon me. There are many happy people that are atheists, I don't see your point.

5. Christmas is a pile of shit, and so are Christians.

I don't count down or look forward to the 25th of December anymore.

6. Wow, and I thought it was bad that radio stations started Christmas music right after Halloween...

Why does OP have a thread bitching out Christmas at the end of July? The last thing I need now is to be told winter is soon approaching.

7. Whatever man your just mad cuz you dont get no damn presents...dont fuck wit christmas...santa's bringing a glock to your house this year except he will be the only one shooting it if you know what i mean
    Jesus was real

8. In July we're more likely to be objective about December, sez I.

9. Christmas is just our celebration of the winter solstice, most cultures have them, and most cultures give gifts.

Yeah we let it go a little too far, but thats our culture for ya. At least when we get carried away, it doesn't involve us sacrificing any people, or burning material goods. Its remotely beneficial to our society to give all these gifts..

10. Hallmark fucking swims eats and shits in money cause of that season.

11. People do get to blinded by the pretty colors to actually count b4 they buy this rediculous shit.My fam has decided to have a real small Christmas this year (Im not gonna completely blow everything) but it will save me money to "celebrate" if you know.Christmas time is also the best time to mess around in the store and blame it on a kid lol.I love gettin my christmas goodies and spirit on but I already have everything I need and want.So fuck it,charity gets a check after family shopping and a lil.:p

12. ya a day to spend forced family time, and shit I have no need for.

13. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6TDADYJhLY]YouTube - Dissecting Christmas Carols[/ame]

I hate Christmas so much. :mad: