Christianity

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by mixing metaphors, Mar 10, 2014.

1. So, I'm stoned, alone and thinking. Is there a God? And it seems like the one in Judeo-Christian literature is not very nice. He is evil to Job, kills the ENTIRE world in a flood, makes us evil because we ate some apple that he designed us as not being able to resist, kills all the children when looking for Jesus. He just doesn't seem nice. Jesus totally does. He seems like he would be a cool, stoner and tell us all about how to live like good people.

I am super skeptical and annoyingly intellectual so I can't get this Christanity thing to work for me. I can't fathom a 6,000 year old earth. I find the idea that God made us to sin and then needs atonement for something HE MADE to be really nonsensical. 

Problem is, I WANT to believe. I want some faith and want feeling of warmth most christians probably have. Do you have that if you are Christian? I am not bashing any Christian here. I just want to know how you get past things that don't make sense. Or does it all make sense to you?

2. #2 Fredbear, Mar 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2014
    this may sum it all all to simple.......If there was nuthing that sucked then we'd never know when sumthing was cool.

we are God and the devil.....ying and yang blah blah blah

we all have been giving Jesus like powers even if your not a Christian its all about using your faith....faith in yourself 

3. There are many things in scripture that are hard for our minds to fathom but I think there are reasonable answers for most of what you asked about. If you would like to take one at a time and discuss them I can try and help as I have been a student of the bible and Christian apologetics (the defense of the faith) for 30 years. Start with the first one you listed the book of Job (pronounced like robe).
    What makes you think God was evil to him?

4. #4 Fredbear, Mar 11, 2014
    God and satan had convo about it and God let it happen.....oh sorry I was refering to the story of Job

5. #5 MotaMike, Mar 11, 2014
    Yes that is pretty much it in a nutshell Fredbear but how is it "evil" as was asked?
    Because God let his children and almost everything he had be taken away?

6. I dont think it was evil for God to let it happen cause in fact job himself let it happen.....it sounds to me that Job was and great follower of God so he would have know what was going on....in fact Job was kind of like the first Jesus.....Jesus knew what he was doing was for the good of ALLLLL man kind.

WE dont know But God may have giving Job the heads up to allow that kind of sacrifice 

7. The Christian god presented in the modern way is in no way real. The values and companionship taught is completely real, however. Some people just need an omnipotent being to tell them to be nice.

Not trying to start a flame war, just my opinion. Is there some sort of encompassing consciousness guiding the universe? I have no idea. It wouldn't even suprise me actually. But come on man you have to see most organized religions are fishy.