Christianity and Marijuana?(rant)

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Now, Jan 5, 2010.

1. I have been researching on the internet both sides of marijuana in the bible . Like why its bad and why its good. But i have noticed the verse
    "And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is on the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat."
    Now from this verse people say see he has given us marijuana and we can smoke it . But then the other side says It shall be for meat as in food.
    Now does this mean that we can eat it or make edibles.As in many other plants are used for food.

Another verse that caught my attention would be
    "Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are: immorality, \t\timpurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, \t\toutbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions, envying, \t\tdrunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you, \t\tjust as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will \t\tnot inherit the kingdom of God."
    Now sorcery is described by like high effects and things like that.
    I went on google and searched the definition of sorcery and the first thing that showed up was this,
    "The belief in magical spells that harness occult forces or evil spirits to produce unnatural effects in the world"
    The word unnatural struck my attention as marijuana is a plant and it also is natural. But then you could say the effects of it are unnatural but i think the effects of marijuana are natural as it comes from a natural thing.(<-- dont know if that made sense)

Thanks for anyone who took the time to read this as i do not know if it made sense but i am on the virge of quitting weed completely but i already have quit smoking it as i have recently moved and been sucked into a religious lifestyle as my whole family here is religious and my brother and mother have both quit weed.

2. Whatever helps you with what you're doing... if the bible helps you quit weed, and that's what you want to do, go for it.

3. First of all, sorcery's definition says "magical spells"... that is quite literal, and I see no correlation to weed.

Second of all, Christianity is the worst plagereized Pagan religion that continually recieves credit to this day, and somehow maintains validity :/

Oh well, government + religion = moral and social standards to control society

4. I understand what your talking about but i just want some feedback i dont want to quit weed thats the thing im trying to find out if its okay with the bible you continue eating edibles.

5. Why can't you just see the bible for what it is and do your own thing? Just because you are surrounded by religious people doesn't mean you are automatically indoctrinated in to following arbitrary verses written 2 thousand years ago.

Quitting MJ for practical reasons is completely understandable...quitting for religious reasons is ridiculous. Plus, did you really think you found a loophole in the bible regarding weed?

6. You don't need some skydaddy and a book to tell you what you can and can not do. Srsly.

If you want to do something, man up and do it.

7. To truly interpret the bible one would have to go back to the original text and not the horribly translated versions around today.  Why not just go with the old "God created the world in seven days"  if he created it then it must be good argument instead of getting tied into the "what the bible says"?

8. I grew up being taught the Bible so i know a bit about it. The mention of sorcery has nothing to do with getting high - to do with so-called magic and calling upon demons (fallen angels).

Cannabis isn't mentioned once (it is not the Tree of Life as some hippies like to think), and amongst all the other seed bearing herbs that are not smoked, it seems strange to think the Bible writer meant a reference to cannabis and the smoking of. Therefore it is not permitted, but also not outlawed.

One thing about the Bible texts though, it does say very clearly that you must respect your bodies and not indulge in practices that harm them, therefore smoking anything should be outlawed if you are a Biblical type.

Otherwise, if it's growing on the earth, eat it. Except for the poison mushrooms.

He didn't fucking warn us about those in the Bible either.

Bong time.

9. Smoking shouldnt be outlawed then since it doesnt harm it :eek:.

10. "First of all, sorcery's definition says "magical spells"... that is quite literal, and I see no correlation to weed. "

11. I'm a Christian and I tell people this:
    If I put a seed in the ground God makes it grow. If you got a problem with that, take it up with him. :smoking:

12. #12 pitchin, Jan 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2010
    Well, actually...

I heard about this from a teacher who taught bible classes, and just did a google search and found it. It has to do with the original Greek word, what it meant, and how it was translated into English. Check this out:

So basically, the "pharma" word that was written in Greek originally can mean either drugs or "magical spells", but in English, for lack of a synonymous word, it's been translated out to the words "sorcery" and "witchcraft" and such.

I don't speak no Greek nor am I a fatty bible scholar, this is just what I heard about from my teacher/saw on that site.

13. Tell your teacher the word is used three times in the Bible and all three are different. The original word in the ot had nothing to do with drugs.

Sin does not come in a bottle or a baggie; it comes from the heart.

qecem - 7081 - 1Sa 15:23

1) divination, witchcraft
    a) of the nations, Balaam
    b) of false prophets
    c) in a good sense (king's lips as oracles)

kashaph - 3784 - 2Ch 33:6
    Outline of Biblical Usage

1) (Piel) to practice witchcraft or sorcery, use witchcraft
    a) sorcerer, sorceress (participle)

pharmakeia - 5331- Gal 5:20

1) the use or the administering of drugs
    2) poisoning
    3) sorcery, magical arts, often found in connection with idolatry and fostered by it
    4) metaph. the deceptions and seductions of idolatry

14. if you think of it this way, god created the plant, and the body
    if he created the plant to produce those chemicals, he also created the anandamine receptors that THC and other cannibinoids bind to, and so he basically created weed specifically to produce those effects
    the cannibinoids have no purpose what so ever outside of those effects
    I hope this clears something up for you

**just my opinion, not necessarily relavent
    IMO, basing all of your beliefs off of one butchered and out dated document (there where originally over 120 books in the bible before the Council of Nicaea) is way too genaric for my tastes, over time almost all of the documents for most major religions where changed for corrupt purposes

15. You don't need a book to validate your choices, especially not just because the rest of your family is doing it, be your own person man

16. If you're a Christian, Jesus boiled all the Law and stuff down to Love God and Do Unto Others As You Would Have Them Do Unto You.

Jesus himself turned water into wine, and he drank wine on numerous occasions in the NT, so he's obviously not against drugs on the simple principle that "drugs are bad, m'mkay?". Probably he would have advocated moderation. Altered consciousness itself isn't bad unless you're pursuing it to the exclusion of God and the people around you. And scientifically speaking, marijuana is overall better for you than alcohol, and Jesus was all about cutting out the bullshit from religion.

People were bombarding him with questions about how to properly observe the Sabbath ("If my crops are about to fail and it's the Sabbath and I have to go out and work the fields or else my family will starve, is that an offense against God?") and he finally just gave up and said "The Sabbath was made for man, not the other way around!" meaning, you know, that the Sabbath shouldn't become more important than basic human survival. The Pharisees wanted to stone an adulterer, and Jesus was like "wait, that's retarded, like they're necessarily so much better than her?" and he told them to have the one among them who is without sin to cast the first stone. This and other stuff from the Bible generally suggests that Jesus was more into critical thinking than he was into obeying spooky hocus-pocus laws based on Bronze-Age myths about a man, a rib-woman, and a talking snake in a magical garden.

Jesus' Iron age philosophy is much better in my book.

17. Well they burned plenty of incense in the bible, im pretty sure there was plenty of sidestream smoke in the air! I guess it depends on what you're burning......cuz cigarette smoke will kill ya!!!! Im glad im burning that good resin!!

18. Holy sacrament oil was hash oil, and all religious men back in Ye Olde times used every psychedelic drug they could find to get high as fuck and talk to god.

19. I think the reason for that is called the Council of Neicene, over a hundred books whrer removed from the Bible
    God also commanded us not to add or subtract any books from the bible, so the Catholic church commited a sin 100 times worse than they accuse the Mormons of
    because of that, I can't trust the bible, I believe that in it's original form and in it's entirety, it could've been the words of god, but in it's present mutilated state, that just isn't the case

20. AFAIK weed-smoking was never even really a part of Western civilization up until the last millennium or so, so the Council of Nicaea wouldn't have had much of an impact there.

And the Council didn't so much remove books from the Bible as decide what the Bible was. Before the Council there was no Christan Bible as such. There was just the traditional Jewish Tanakh and a whole bloody mess of books all written by different Christians expounding their own beliefs, and a lot of them present incompatible views. If you take some of the Gnostic Christian writing and compare it to what crops up in the New Testament there's just no reconciling them. They can't all be right.

The Church decided which versions they accepted as the word of God - certainly nothing wrong with that. They did, however, go too far when they began to suppress other Christian denominations with extracanonical books - so-called apocrypha.