Christian Stoners

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by darkyetnotso, Sep 16, 2008.

1. I consider myself a christian, I believe in God and try to follow the commandaments. I used to lead a bible study and am fairly well read. I go to church 1-2 a week, and regularly hang out with my christian friends.

:wave:

SO... I'm wondering if there are any other Christians out there who like to toke occasionally? Speak out if you exist, that way I don't have to feel like I'm the only one.:)

EDIT: Also, what do you guys think about smoking and Christianity? is it hypocritical to do both?

2. God made weed. Why wouldn't you smoke it? Anyone who says differently has fallen from the light

3. [quote name='EDIT: Also, what do you guys think about smoking and Christianity? is it hypocritical to do both?[/quote']

I Believe in GOd and toke. If god made the wonderful plant yet some priest says its bad 2 smoke, that kinda contradicts theirslves. I dont go to church because ibelieve that is a money scam. I always toldmyself just to pray at night and screw goin 2 church. Cause if i wanna believe in something i shouldent have to go somewhere to pray. im a boss in mah hood.

4. :hello:

I think it's all fair play unless you use pages from scripture to roll a joint, which I hear is common.

5. I am most definately Christian, even go to a Catholic church every sunday, and toke every day of the week when I have ganja. I don't really believe in any of the specific Christian faiths, but rather read the bible and make my own opinions.

I believe that smoking actually helps me be a better Christian, it removes the inhibitors that keep us from being real. I am less likely to just do what others say becasue they say it, am less likely to give in to fear of the cost, enjoy God's creation much more, am more peaceful, and how many people can say that there isn't some spiritual connection when you are high? So it is most definately not hypocritical to do both, for some it can bolster your faith, but others allow itto take them down. It's all in the individual.

6. My mom is Catholic, and my dad is Episcopalian. I was raised mainly as a catholic, but over time stopped going to church or believing in any one religion (though I still believe in god)... But to get to the point, I have smoked with both my mom and dad, and I smoke.... So at least in my opinion, its cool.

(Off topic, anyone else think the firefox spell check is useless?)

7. Yeah, when I was younger I would drink alcohol and get into trouble, I would just do stupid shit. Now when I smoke I'm more relaxed, more social, I don't let things get to me. I also notice beauty so much more, I am amazed at how awesome all of God's creations are...

The only thing I dislike about being a christian stoner is that most of the people in my church look down on weed, cuz its illegal, so I can't really hang with them and toke, which I think would be awesome, I love discussing philosophy and religion when I'm high.

8. #8 tea.mochi, Sep 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2008
    I can't remember where, but I do remember the bible saying somewhere that you should follow the laws of your country. It was always implied to me by my church that to disobey the laws of your country is to be sinful, since god commanded it.
    So I think its a little contradictory to say you're a christian, but blatantly disregard an order like that.

Either way, welcome to the city (since this is the first I've seen of you).!

(EDIT: of course I don't really think its bad IF you smoke and are christian, since I don't really believe in that stuff anyway you know?
    And I like the firefox spell check, I just ignore the words that it doesn't know or I don't really care to fix (like thats).

9. I'm not a christian but don't you guys have a rule that you're not allowed to get intoxicated?
    (just curious)

10. Yeah, thats specifically the part of the bible that makes me hesitate, but on the other hand, the same can be said about speeding, and downloading music, and a million other things... So I guess I'm openly going against that, but I accept the consequences, which for all of those things is a $$ fine.

Thanks! I've been lurking for a few months and then decided to create an account to contribute to the discussions.

:wave:

11. #11 MaconBlaze, Sep 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2008
    I was brought up in the Christian church. I believe in God and I believe in some of the messages of the Bible as well as many other holy doctrines and philosophies.

But majorly my view of religion has kind of shifted from just going with the flow and just chilling in my my pew to seeing how all of these different man-made vehicles to God have caused a lot of war, grief, and death.

So as it stands I guess I'm more or less a Baptist-biased Poly-philosophical Deist?

I don't see marijuana(or many drugs for that matter) conflicting with my beliefs just as long as I don't let my life become absorbed in it and turn it into a thing of idolization. Use the substance for benefit and don't let it use you. I think if anything weed(and of course the fungus) has helped me gain a better alignment and peace with the cosmos. :smoking:

12. To, darkyetnotso, the OP;

After speaking with many different christians from all over the planet, of every different type of denomination, it seems almost unanimous that God doesn't condone drug use.

Let's walk through why. There are several specific scriptural areas where cannabis use applies.

Most forms of cannabis use, specifically cultivation and trafficking are illicit. It is outlined clearly in the Bible, both old and new testament that to break the law of a government is to sin against God. (Romans 13:1-5 and Peter 2:13,14)

Secondly, cannabis use is of course intoxicating. The primary objective of recreational and even spiritual and medicinal use is intoxication. You can argue the term "drunkenness", but that's for biblical scholars. Most christian denominations seem to agree that it's in reference to all intoxication. (Romans 13:12-14, Galatians 5:19-21, Matthew 24:45-51; Luke 12:45 and more)

And then there are the passages which talk about the avoidance of anything that will impair your judgment or perception (i.e. the introduction of drug), and those references compose a laundry list. (Thessalonians 5:6-8, 1 Peter 1:13-17, Corinthians 9:25-27 and more)

There are various other arguments, many of which do no apply to cannabis but rather harder drugs, involving physical and mental health. Those arguments outlined about should do for now though.

You can find out more here: http://www.gospelway.com/morality/drug_abuse.php

That site seems to reiterate many of the same themes that I've experienced from practicing Christians.

God also made Castor Beans(if you actually believe that), you gonna smoke those too? :rolleyes:

13. 29 Then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food. 30 And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air and all the creatures that move on the ground-everything that has the breath of life in it-I give every green plant for food." And it was so.
    Genesis 1:29-30

Ive heard this passage as Gods way of saying its ok to use marijuana

14. I'm a Christian, and try hard to live by Gods two simple wishes for me. (Notice I did'nt say rules.)

When Jesus was asked, "Whats the most important commandment?" He replied, "LOVE the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, and mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it. LOVE your neighbor as you LOVE yourself. On these two commandments hang all the law and all the profits." (Matthew 22: 37-40)

You see it's pretty simple, Gods law is LOVE. All religion is manmade and therefore flawed. Don't look to man for your relasionship with God. Look to God and He promises you will find what you seek. Keep an open mind,heart, and spirit. Let his Love flow into you.

Marijuana helps me with both of these commandments....how could that be wrong? I use this plant to heal and to spread love and happiness. Good feelings and good moods. Everywhere I go people smile. Cause I got the best smoke in town! All glory be to God! IMO Much Love.

*P.S God does all the growing...He just lets me watch! (Check my threads.)

Attached Files:

15. Munchie nailed it for me...God is not about going to church everyday
    God for me is everything good in my life and everything positive in our world
    Its all about YOU'RE relationship with God.

16. i third munchie's statment.

funny i saw this thread cus i was just listinin to a KMK song that goes ""God made ganja grow, so let ganja grow free. Gods got that ganja growin smells so good to me. God made ganja grow so let ganja grow free, Gods got that ganja growin go plant yourself a tree" or somthin to that effect.

17. haha, great responses!

Sam_Spade: +1 rep, thanks for doing that research and posting it

I'm still weighing both sides of the issue, I suppose I will have to make a decision one of these days whether I should give up MJ or not.

18. Man if you believe in God and smoking ganja then do both.

Don't let anyone tell you to stop one or the other! (even if that person is wearing vestments
    and speaks in that funny sing-song voice they all try to put on)

19. Personally, from my perspective, you shouldn't heed the ancient archaic laws of a dusty old fairy tale.

Live your life, live it so you and those around you are happy and healthy. Don't worry about anything else.

That's just my two cents.

20. I never let people make decisions for me.. I always do the research before making a decision. In this case, I'm asking for advice, because advice from people's personal experience is something I always consider.