Choosing your strain

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Portuguese, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Hey guys.
    It's been a while that i didn't login here in grasscity.
    But since the outdoor season is almost starting, im back! :p

Anyway,
    Whenever i smoke weed, i don't ask what strain is it,
    So im confused about what strains should i choose for my outdoor grow.

What should i considered when chosing the strain?

Thank you

2. what do you want?

yield, flowering time, thc content, auto, etc..

3. I will do outdoor
    As my name says, im from portugal, the weather is nice overhere.

I want yield and thc content.
    But specially i want something tasty, something that i will be proud of! :D

4. frisian dew is my recommendation for any outdoor grower, its been bred for colder climates but I dont doubt that it will do even better in portugal (lucky bastard!). it got some beautiful purple phenotypes and the smell is heavenly, like a sweet perfume. strong trippy sativa-ish high, smooth smoke. very short flowering time - not that you need that, but having something to harvest early is always nice.
    also check the rest of that thread, in your climate you should be able to grow just about any strain you like, but its good to know which generally do well outdoors.

dont rely on breeder/seedbank description for anything, but I guess you already know that, otherwise you wouldnt be asking here...
    I like this site to get ideas for strains to further research. its how I found the frisian dew and having grown it I gotta say Im surprised, the description of the aroma is pretty much spot on and the effect (at least head/body ratio) is also about right. of course thats a strain with an extremely large amount of user input on that site compared to most other strains, so it makes sense that the description would be more accurate, but still...

5. #5 Portuguese, Feb 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2013
    Thank you man, honestly, been looking for something like that website for HOURS!

I liked frisian dew and i will grow some of that for sure :hello::hello:

I also would like to grow some other strains but i'm insecure about it
    Sensi star - Paradise seeds ( Saw an awesome feedback of this baby everywhere)
    BlueBerry - Dutch Passion ( the buds are tasty but i'm not sure of it )
    La confidential - DNA genetics( I heard that is the besssst bud you can get:D) - The seed bank i use don't got it, looking for something like this ( i just trust this seedbank for personal motives)

If you have suggestions, i thank you! :eek:

6. #6 baumeister, Feb 20, 2013
    I believe I have read several times that dutch passion's blueberry (among other dutch passion strains) hermies a lot. the 2 frisian dew my friends and I grew were fine though, found a single male flower while trimming (~100g total) and one seed in the buds, >50% of which are still in the posession of my one rather greedy friend though... guess whos not getting a share of the next harvest :p

check the seedbank section, there are many absolutely reliable ones.

ones that Ive read good stuff about are attitude, herbies and nirvana.
    nirvana is comparably cheap, has a small catalog of mostly decent strains and appearently good customer support.
    attitude seems to be the number one site for most growers. it got a gigantic selection, freebie seeds (time any order to get the monthly special!) and I believe several reliable (stealth) shipping and payment options. oh, and that guy whos a regular here on the forum who I trust (joker some number in the end, newb name >_>) recently posted that when ordering from attitude you should select stealth shipping and enter "420" as a cupon code on checkout to get 10% off all seeds.

7. #7 Portuguese, Feb 20, 2013
    I use only this seedbank (this one ) because as payment there is a method where you pay directly to the delivery guy instead of credit card ( ordered one time ). Anyway, thank you for every information you have been giving.

So far on my plans i got
    5 sensi star = 55 €
    2 Frisian Dew = 13 €

So far total = 68 €
    And the shop offer surprise seeds ( Advanced Seeds they say)
    I have 150€ to spend.

I want outdoor strain that yield properly ( commercial ) and part of the grow i want some tasty strains to own consume :hello:

8. I love the site, thanks for sharing the info!

9. ya I think frisian dew serves both purposes, but I guess in hot climates like yours other strains may yield even more.
    I like to buy just a small number of seeds of each strain and clone them to save money, currently got 3 frisian dew and 2 (my grow buddy dropped one during bike smuggle packaging in amsterdam >_>) sensi seed early skunk growing under CFLs since the beginning of the month to plant out lotsa clones guerilla style in may/june.

attitude has a payment option where you send them cash by mail I believe... I guess its slower, but have read of it working. on the other hand I have heard of money getting stolen by the mail guys (guess you can be sure by paying extra for tracable mail), but the guys at the seedbank should be reliable from everythign I have read.

no problem, I find helping people who arent stupid dicks quite enjoyable ^^

I have found that I can learn some stuff still by browsing the beginners section, being an enthusiastic newb myself, and while Im at it why not help with the stuff that I already know so that the people who know more can spend their time answering the questions I cant... if everybody helps on the level theyre at, then all questions are answered and nobody gets frustrated :)

10. Honestly,
    Thank you ! :hello:

Here is my future grow:

2 LSD's - Barney Farm
    2 Trainwreck - Greenhouse
    2 Silverhaze no.9 - Sensi seeds
    2 Sensistar - Paradise seeds
    2 BlueBerry - Dutch Passion
    2 seeds ( offered from the seedbank, advanced seeds, dont know what strain)

For the pots im thinking about starting in party cups -> then 3-4 gallons -> and then 7 gallons(not sure if is small) as final pot.

What you think about all of these? feel free to change anything that comes on your mind, the newbie here is mee ;)

11. Any recommendations on beginner indoor seeds?

12. bro i heard blue dream has gigantic yields such as 4 or 5 pounds, and frisian dew is taking over one of the newest outdoor strains with another great yield of a few pounds and solid smoke

@black light, i hear northern lights/big bud is great for beginners and its used primarily for indoor grows u should try it out ^^ and maybe check this out (i've been lookin at it for bit) https://www.cannabis-seeds-bank.co.uk/auto-seeds-auto-pounder/prod_3400.html its an auto and apparently yields close to a pound (i'd count on a qp if i were u which is still amazing for an auto)

13. I Couldn't decide between LSD and frisian, i went for the LSD's but i might think again...

14. soz dont know what LSD is but if i were u go with frisian imo its so juicy lookin bro i just wanna munch on that picture of it on attitude seedbank lul

15. #15 baumeister, Feb 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2013
    any good indica or hybrid strain from a good breeder. sativas are usually less forgiving, stretch more in flowering and take much longer to flower.

looking at the seedfinder site, sensi star looks ok, greenhouse's trainwreck looks pretty shitty (undoubtably much better strains available!), dutch passion's blueberry again not very convincing (most of the german comments on the site mention hermies), barney's LSD should be good (I considered buying it myself, but the flowering time seems slightly longer than optimal for my crappy north german climate) and sensi's sliverhaze #9 looks great. sensi seems to be generally considered a very good breeder, but expect an extremely long flowering phase with this one cuz its very sativa-heavy.
    also I bought a lot of blueberry (dunno if its exactly like the dutch passion one, but I believe if anything its a better selected phenotype than what youre gonna get from seed) in amsterdam at the noon coffeeshop cuz its a traditional special there, its very good weed at a great price, but my frisian dew definitly beats it in terms of taste as well as everything else. blueberry is much more indica, so theyre not very comparable, but by smell the frisian dew absolutely fucks up the blueberry. blueberry smells/tastes pretty average and skunky with a little hint of berry when smoked through the nose.

another seemingly great oldschool breeder that I think you should look into is mr. nice seedbank, what Ive been reading about them is pretty much all very positive and growing guru jorge cervantes, whose advice I value a lot cuz everythign else he says seems to make a lot of sense, called them "the best breeder in the world" in one of his youtube videos. also their site seems nice in that they actually list a little bit of negative stuff about some strains and generally they dont do crazy newb-fooling advertising like for example greenhouse, who pretty much exclusively overstate and lie about everything as far as I can tell (doesnt mean that all their stuff is shit though).
    mr nice only sells relatively large numbers of regular seeds though, no small quantities of feminized seeds.
    I would like to give their "devil" a try, just didnt come across a shop that sold them when I was in amsterdam buying weed and seeds. the strain seems to have a very interesting effect and is appearently great outdoors.

"medicine man" (aka white rhino, it seems that mr. nice is the original breeder [with mr. nice and sensi I believe such claims, while greenhouse for example is probably lying] of some strains that they now sell under different names - quite confusing) could be a nice heavy indica, or if you want something even more extreme towards an indica high as a contrast to your silver haze, look into the strains by the "CBD crew", theyre a cooperative project of mr. nice and some other good breeder I forgot. high-CBD strains supposedly have much more medicinal value, with a very calming, pain-numbing comfortable couchlock stone.

you may also want to look into autoflowering strains - while theyre mostly advertised to fool newbs with false claims that theyre easier to grow and finish faster, they actually make sense when growing outdoors cuz not being able to control the light there, the autoflowering characteristic actually makes a difference other than removing control over veg/flowering. if you germinate an auto seed, you can expect to harvest it in slightly less than three months, not in fall like a regular photoperiod plant.
    Ill be growing 3 automazars on my balcony this year each spaced one month apart, germinating the first one in the beginning of april under CFLs and harvesting it at the end of june, this way I hope to have enough weed all through summer to last me until the big harvest in the beginning of october. in portugal you could probably do this much better, even without artificial light.

the problem with autos is that most strains (especially the older ones) are rather crappy. they go into flowering too fast (after as little as 2 weeks) and thus stay super tiny and only yield something between 5 and 20g. so when choosing auto strains I recommend looking for ones that veg longer (so they take longer overall to finish) and have a large yield. good autos in optimal indoor conditions will typically yield around 60g I believe, however there are reports of freak phenotypes yielding up to 300g in hydro with overkill lighting - this seems very hard to believe, but the reports of longer vegging plants yielding 100-150g appear quite plausible to me. I expect my automazars to yield between 20g and 40g (the last one from june till august will most likely be the best, the first one is kinda set too early cuz I really want some weed when the summer vacation starts), in portugal that should be significantly better.
    auto strains that Ive read good stuff about are paradise seeds' pandora, dutch passion's automazar and to a slightly lesser degree the more sativa-ish dutch passion's think different. also noticed afghan kush ryder being mentioned in a positive context repeatedly, but never researched it.

edit: go with frisian dew rather than LSD. the way I see it the only thing thats better about LSD is the name. frisian dew is fucking great.

16. [quote name='"caseysbud"']soz dont know what LSD is but if i were u go with frisian imo its so juicy lookin bro i just wanna munch on that picture of it on attitude seedbank lul[/quote]

LSD is one of the best tasting most potent strains I have had. I highly recommended it. Its been one of attitudes top sellers for a quite a while, for good reason.

17. alright, in that case get both LSD and frisian dew and toss out the trainwreck (and blueberry). ^thats the guy with the misleadingly newbish name I mentioned earlier, listen to what hes saying :p

18. #18 Doc-J, Feb 21, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
    [quote name='"baumeister"']

alright, in that case get both LSD and frisian dew and toss out the trainwreck (and blueberry). ^thats the guy with the misleadingly newbish name I mentioned earlier, listen to what hes saying :p[/quote]

Is the Frisian mostly Indica or sativa? I may have to try it one day. Sadly, trainwreck is another favorite LOL. Killer buzz that just wont quit. The taste doesn't stand out as amazing, but was very good. I have to say I haven't grown trainwreck though. I try for more indicas usually. A buddy down the road has most of my old equipment. He grows only sativas, guess he just likes them.

And if you were speaking of me, thanks for the kind words.

19. [quote name='"caseysbud"']bro i heard blue dream has gigantic yields such as 4 or 5 pounds, and frisian dew is taking over one of the newest outdoor strains with another great yield of a few pounds and solid smoke

@black light, i hear northern lights/big bud is great for beginners and its used primarily for indoor grows u should try it out ^^ and maybe check this out (i've been lookin at it for bit) https://www.cannabis-seeds-bank.co.uk/auto-seeds-auto-pounder/prod_3400.html its an auto and apparently yields close to a pound (i'd count on a qp if i were u which is still amazing for an auto)[/quote]

If you read more carefully, it says it can yield one pound per square meter. No way your getting that per plant, but anywhere from two to four ounces isn't unheard of. Really any auto strain that can net you 2oz per plant would be capable of netting a lb per m2. I am fully convinced i can get a dry pound in a 4.5 x 4.5 tent in 70 days from seed under 600w. We will see soon. Don't dismiss autos, they have their place.

20. frisian dew supposedly is 80% indica, but it looks much more like a sativa (slim leaves, some plants stretch quite a lot) and the effect is rather trippy. takes some determination to stand up, but its possible ^^