Choosing the Right Equipment

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by 0hexplodebudz, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Hey GC, I've been a constant lurker on the forums, but this might be my first actual post!

I'm thinking of upgrading my system, I currently have one sour diesel in 4th week of flowering, with over 170W's of CFL's in all from 5 bulbs. Using FF Ocean plus coco mixed and on the bottom, plus Tiger Bloom/Big Bloom nutes. I'm having amazing results with my first grow, and am looking to upgrade my system.

I'm looking to cover an area of at least 10, not really more than 15 plants. We have enough lights for our veg cycle/room, so we need flowering light for the 15 or so plants (theoretical atm of course). Were going to have a room dedicated just for flowering, but is this the setup i really need?

2 - Daystar AC hoods
    2 - 600W Metal halide from sunpulse (color temp 3k)

The guy at the hydro store said I had to buy this certain ballast (i think Xtrasun 1000) so I could buy a splitter also, and run both hoods off one ballast. Now my questions are as such:

Is it wiser to go for the two 600's to cover more area? ( i was told 600 was the max on either hood, if sharing the same 1000w ballast)

Is a 3k MH as effective as a HPS? The room is going to be dedicated to flowering, and the hoods will only be on 12/12 to save energy, but I wasn't sure how the MH/HPS difference worked.

And finally, will one six-inch active air fan be enough to pull through two hoods and out of the room?

Gimme some feedback, before I drop all my money on this haha :D
    Thanks guys.