Choosing drivers

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Prometheus666, Apr 17, 2019.

1. #1 Prometheus666, Apr 17, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    Hey guys, I have 20 qb288 v2 each with individual heatsink. I want to have all in a single frame. I am aware that I need multiple drivers. Can you advise on the most cost effective driver setup. Please note that I want to wire in series.

2. If your going to be running that many boards, you might want to look at some of mean wells larger drivers. This could save you a ton of money over buying multiple, smaller drivers.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  3. Thanks dude. The 4 board drivers seem to be the chapter option. How do I know the wattage the boards will be run at for each driver. I'm a total noob at this. Patience please

4. #5 JoshuaE, Apr 20, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    Most of us install one of these

bayite DC 6.5-100V 0-20A LCD...
    bayite DC 6.5-100V 0-20A LCD... www.amazon.com/dp/B013PKYAV6?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
    meters in between the driver and the board to find the wattage .

5. The power rating for each driver is the same as the driver model. So a HLG-240 will output 240W (when maxed) and a HLG-320 will output 320W. Depending on the model you could squeeze a bit more juice out of these, particularly the A type constant voltage drivers as those will have a built in potentiometer (dimmer) that you can push a bit past the rated power.
    Then simply divide that into how many boards, so for instance, if you went with a HLG-320 to power four boards each would get 1/4 of that, or 80W per board. This is just ball park figures but you can use a meter like Joshua mentioned if you want to get precise numbers.

• Like Like x 1
  6. I read somewhere that more than 4 board can't we wired together.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Nice. Thanks man. Wasnt sure what the numbers on the driver's meant. But I get it now.

8. That's true when ran in series .