Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Choosing A Strain?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by DirtWeed, Apr 25, 2014.

1. #1 DirtWeed, Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2014
    Hello, I was just in the middle of looking on-line at all the different strains and choosing a Licensed Producer to get my supply off of. I noticed THC percentages range from 15-22% on almost all of the websites. CBD/CBD-A percentage ranges from .5-95% with the strains having high levels of CBD/CBD-A containing far less THC, ie. (20%THC .5%CBD/CBD-A,   15% THC and 2.5%CBD/CBD-a and then there is the 2.5%THC 95% CBD/CBD-A)
    (the 2.5% THC strain being the only exception in percentage variations) 

I also heard that CBD reacts with THC to enhance the effects of the medicine, however, I cant see such a small level of THC alleviating my pain in the low THC strain. Also the therapeutic effects of the THC allow me to relax and forget about my pain when its time to sleep. So basically what I'm trying to figure out is: Which combination of THC/CBD/CBD-A would be the best to alleviate chronic pain caused by arthritis while still having the therapeutic qualities as well

Fact: I have an extremely high tolerance

2. I'm a fan of 1:1 ratios.

3. Everyone seems to have their own preference when it comes to the ratio. Just try some stuff out, it requires a bit of self experimentation.

4. The test results that the dispensaries list aren't necessarily accurate percentages due to decarboxylation.

5. Hmm, I think you need something along the lines of AK-48 or a strong Northern Lights hybrid 

6. There is a website that lets you browse strains and collect info on them. I've found it very helpful in finding strains that help me. They don't have a complete database yet, but they are growing daily! You can check them out here: www.leafly.com
    Don't create an account or they will think you are a supplier! I did that and we own a business (building) so when the calls started to come in asking for certain strains, I had to hustle to cancel that login info! Won't be doing that again! lol But it's a great site to filter your searches by medical condition, strain attributes, medical uses for specific strains, etc. Very easy to use! :gc_rocks:

Leafly also has a ton of wrong and misleading information. Take it with a grain of salt.

8. Another possibility is to get the highest CBD strain you can find, use as much as you need for pain relief, and then have a separate amount of high THC strain (whatever your tolerance needs) to finish the job. 

9. I hope I'm not high jacking the thread (especially since this is my first post), but I would also like some advice on strains. Besides pain relief from a pinched nerve and related muscle tension, I'd like something to help me sleep and reduce stress.

In the past I was a heavy smoker, however a big part of the reason I gave up was paranoia. The 1:1 CBD strains sound very interesting.

Depending on what's available to you, you may want to layer a high CBD strain and an indica strain for pain. Smoking a CBD strain before THC always helped the paranoia aspect, stop it before it starts! Terpenes present are also a very important part in CBD strains. 

Just make sure they have test results to prove the CBD, and if it's using a gas chromotographer, it will be inflated results, because of the decarb, like was earlier mentioned. Liquid chromotgraphy can be more representative.