Choclope girls too tall for room

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by soundscience4.0, Mar 6, 2011.

1. HEY GRASSCITY NEED SOME OF YOUR EXPERTEASE!! I have 4 chocolope girls that are 5.5 weeks into flower and have gotten very tall, almost 5 feet. They already passed the reflector and I have them at the walls of the room so that the lower parts of the girls get some good light at least. I dont see any big colas on them and its worrying me. I have a GL145 growlab that is 4'9" Wide x 4'9" Deep x 6'7" Tall. I am using a 600 watt HPS bulb. I have other girls that are the same age but diff strain and thery are at a perfect height and thick colas establishing. I can raise the relector another 9inches max maybe but the tops of the choclopes would then be right on the glass of the reflector. Would it be ok to bend the plants and maybe LST or tie them dowm. I was thinkin maybe bend them 2 feet from the top and lst or tie them dowb some how so that the tops are sideways or horizontal that way they could get some good lighting? I dont know any help would be great !! THANKS PEACE

2. Chocolope isn't an 80 day strain. I let my chocolope go for at least 3 months before I check her. She's a 100% eqatorial sativa, she doesn't think winter is ever coming, so she's in no rush..

have patience, if you can, get the plant to lay down or spread out to help with the height, and remember next time that you should probably LST and keep the canopy low before bloom. She doesn't bulk up until the very end, and even then, she's nothing like the indicas and hybrids. On this batch, the colas ended up super dense. 1/4oz. nugs from the main colas, and you'd never guess it, they're so tiny.

It's worth the wait:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. So you're saying I'll be waiting longer than the 8 weeks that DNA says it takes?

4. #4 GrapeStreet, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2011
    I would never trust a seed company to help me grow. They lie through their pollen sacks.

Get a scope to check the trichs, and wait for them to bulge.

Every strain I've had is longer than the seed company says. It's a sales tactic. People think 8 weeks is the standard....maybe for indicas, not for hybrids or in your case a 100% Sativa Hybrid.

NYCD - Rec\t9-12 weeks - actual 13-15
    Chocolope - Rec. 8 weeks - actual 13-15
    Phenom Penh - Rec. 14 weeks - actual 14-16 weeks (but I know I could have let it go longer, just couldn't wait...16 weeks is a long time!!!)

My D may be a long blooming pheno as she's the hybrid, but I'd guess most of the others are due to equatorial sativa genetics.

5. thanks for the replies I vegged for about 2-3 weeks and once I put them on 12/12 they just blew up. How would you rec I tie them down or lst them. Them being so tall, I am kind of lost. Would bending them a foot or two from the top be wise then so the tallest parts are bent horizontaly and getting light . I am not sure just any help would be cool THANKS PEACE!!!

6. From some of my past grows I can see that 8 weeks is not enough time aleast in my experience. My first time I let the girls go 11-12 weeks not knowing any better and they were by far the best i have had smell taste etc. I thought maybe I let them go too long since 8 weeks seemed the standard. Couple grows later I realized 8 weeks was not producing the despencery type stuff. Know I got some more knowledge and 600 watt hps in stead of the 400 watt MH i was using. Seems to be coming along good, just gotta fig how to tie down those CHOS'S. I tried bending one of the main colas and it stayed bent just enough so not to break or snap the stem. I just have to fig how I am gonna tie them down. I have a more hope now atleast THANKS !! ANY MORE INFO WOULD BE GREAT !!

7. #7 GrapeStreet, Mar 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2011
    I had a 5' Sadhu (Indica!!!) mom that I threw in bloom. The lower 70% was almost bare (bad mother, let her get too big), sooo, to have her bloom along side all of my low and high stress trained canopies (all at roughly 3ft canopy top) I let her hang sideways. She bent, little by little, at the base of the plant until the stem rested on the edge of the 5 gal bucket. She bloomed great. After a few days the stems had "righted" themselves to the light and began growing as if it was a normal canopy.

It's actually quite nice, the pot itself isn't even under the lights, only the plant.

I will commonly let the plants bend themselves and may simply "direct" which way they fall over. I don't use a screen, instead, I simply try to layer the canopies onto each other so everyone's got plenty of light. Letting the buds fall sideways is a good way of thickening the lower colas. I'm sure most growers would balk at the thought of letting their pretty plants sag, but I let the plant do it's thing a lot.

4.5 million years of field testing...

Chocolope tends to get woody pretty quick into bloom, so be careful training her but yea dude, go for it. She does good when stress trained. Shit wish I had a shot of the one in bloom now, she is growing colas completely parallel with the ground, like some crazy clawed hand, tipped on its side. It looks like its trying to eat the plant next to it.

For the first few weeks of bloom, when the plant begins to stretch, you can easily bend the stems outward, creating a larger canopy without harming the main colas. I've got a White Widow canopy about 3'x5', every day I go in and just push the stems out flat. By the next day they've gone back up, but over time you'll see a serious difference. I'll LST the plants all the way until the last few weeks, which may be part of the reason my grows aren't as quick, but even the ones that aren't manipulated much in bloom take longer than 8 weeks.

My super-fast Indica is at least 9-10 weeks before she throws in the towel

8. THANKS GRAPE ST FOR THE HELP !! I am going to tie them down this evening. I will let u guys know how it goes PEACE!!!