Chlorine

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by growDude, Jan 18, 2009.

1. This is my first post on this site and I will start with a question about chlorine. I can smell a small amount of chlorine from my tap even though the ppm is only 80. I was wonderiing if could use a large aerator for a while to evaporate the chlorine enough to water my plants without damage. Thanks to all who reply.

2. yep, aeration will work.

hell, even just letting it lose chlorine through evaporation would probably get rid of enough of it, so if you aerate, youll definately be ok

3. Before you water make sure that you leave the water in a container preferably with a pump running for a minimum of 24 hours and a maximum of 72.

4. Almost all modern city water will have chlorine in it to some degree. If you let it set in a container with no lid for 24 hrs, most will evaporate. Much easier than having to aerate it.

5. Can anyone show me what chlorine does to plants? I have never seen it so I am curious.

6. Its just going to make it weak and yield less due to the killing or reduction of bacteria/microorganisms that inhabit the root syste. Thats you use a product like voodoo juice which does nothing but increase the root bacteria.

7. So the consensus is that it will evaporate as long as i let it sit for at least 24hrs. I am currently in veg at the moment and have already watered a couple of times with only letting it aerate for about 2 hrs each time. That should not have done too much damage i wouldnt think. My aerator is very large and produces so many bubbles it looks like my water is boiling!! Thanks for the replies.

8. The chlorine will evaporate out if you let it sit for 24 hours in an open container.

Don't shy away from aerating -- besides speeding up the evaporation of chlorine, it oxygenates the water, which your plants' roots and soil ecosystems will love.