China Defends Executing Drug Offenders

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by RMJL, Jul 25, 2004.

1. Newsbrief: China Defends Executing Drug Offenders

7/23/04

In the wake of criticism following its customary celebration of UN International Anti-Drugs Day by executing dozens of drug offenders, the Chinese government has defended its frequent use of the death penalty against traffickers as it cracks down on drug use. A top Chinese anti-drug official said the executions were both popular and necessary, the Associated Press reported.

"The Chinese masses applaud giving the death penalty to drug traffickers," said Yang Fengrui, deputy secretary general of the National Narcotics Control Commission. "Drug trafficking has severe social consequences. It's equal to killing people." While the government hopes to "rehabilitate" drug users so they can "return to society," Yang elaborated, it is fully prepared to enact "severe punishment" for criminals.

With more than a million registered drug addicts -- and who knows how many unregistered ones -- the number of Chinese drug users is on the increase. But to be transformed from mere user to "trafficker" eligible for the death penalty requires only possession of five kilos of cannabis resin, one kilo of heroin, or less than two ounces of cocaine.

According to the Associated Press, China executed 28 people on drug charges on International Anti-Drugs Day alone. As DRCNet reported three weeks ago (http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/344/un.shtml), Chinese authorities had spent the whole week before Anti-Drug Day executing dozens, and perhaps hundreds, more.

In a report issued by Amnesty International just before Anti-Drugs Day last month, the human rights organization said "more than 50 people were executed on drug-related charges in just eight of China's 23 provinces in the single week leading up to Anti-Drugs Day last year. The total number across China is likely to have been in the hundreds."

Amnesty International is calling on the Chinese government to halt these executions and to review all future use of the death penalty. "In the week leading up to 26 June, UN Anti-Drugs Day and government measures to tackle drug crime are publicized in the Chinese media. Despite this extra reporting of death sentences, drug-related crime, drug use, and amounts of drugs seized by customs are all at a high level or actually rising in China. This reality seriously undermines official claims that the death penalty is an effective deterrent against drug crime in China."

http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/347/china.shtml

2. There's an International Anti-Drug Day? LOL :D . Back to the topic, I'm personally very interested to see the final outcome of these executions. I've always hypothosized that nothing will stop people from using drugs, but mass executions for dealers are some pretty harsh consequences. Still, dealers will probably just hire kids off the street to do their dirty work.

The big picture we need to watch is if it doesn't work. If fear of death doesn't work to stop drugs then what does that say to the public about America's ineffective drug policy? I mean, we on the city know America has an ineffective drug policy and they're easy to obtain, but most of conservative America has no clue. If China fails we can use that to help our cause, at least for opening a few eyes that cracking down is the worst way to drop drug use. China is at the highest level at cracking down, there is nothing higher than death. This will be interesting, especially since America can't go any higher.

Deep down our success(drug/pot activists) relies on China failing.

3. I know it's off topic...and the USA uses death penalty for way worse crimes than doing drugs, but...

Amnesty International is also calling on the US gouvernment to halt all executions and to end all use of death penalty.

And I second that

4. I hope some maniac kills your whole family, then we'll see what you say

5. As a member of Amesty International and someone who is against the death penalty I'd have to say that even if someone killed a loved one I'd still fight for them not to get the death penalty. Killing them doesn't bring back the life which was wrongfully taken. You say that people will change their view if a person close to them is murdered, but that isn't necessarily true. If you stand by your beliefs then nothing will change that. Not everyone is fickle.

The best example I can come up with is not too long ago an Amish Woman was raped and her husband was murdered right in front of her eyes. The entire Amish community went to the trial and fought AGAINST the death penality. Their beliefs were stronger than personal gain. Some people really are against the death penalty no matter what. 2 wrongs don't make a right, and killing the criminal won't bring back your loved one.

6. I really hope you didn't mean that. You really want someone to kill my family? You really need to pull yerself together, man.

I suggest you start thinkin with yer brain instead of yer heart. Don't get offended if I critisize someone. Take it seriously and think about it.

And I guarantee you I wouldn't want to kill anyone who kills me family. My parents are STRONGLY against death penalty and strict christians. They would be very disappointed if someone should be killed for harming them.

And as Unclesam said: Two wrongs don't make one right. Killing the perpetraitor wouldn't bring anyone back.

And btw...I don't like you any more. I have seen some of your posts and thought you were allright. But unless you say you're sorry for wanting someone to kill me family...I'm gonna detest you...