Chiller question

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Budtimez, Jul 1, 2011.

1. i was wonderin if anyone runs 2 totes with one chiller. ebb and flow and a drip system.

2. I think it would work..
    Just Y so the chiller is sucking from both totes, and Y the return to both..
    I think they would stay balance out...

Why would you want to use 2 totes for a chiller??
    Just get a 50-60gal and be done with it... :confused:

3. ya that was the plan to Y them together. I could use a larger rez but i figured draining my flood table would be a pain.

4. Well I would just get a larger res...
    I do a lot of ebb&gro, and what I do is put garden hose fittings in my pump supply lines... That way come res draining time. I unscrew the supply line and hook it up to my res draining garden hose...

If you don't have to much up hill except maybe the height of a bathtub, then your pump will push it through a 25' hose...

Check the first pic in this DIY ebb&gro 600w scrog I'm trying..
    You will see the garden hose fittings on the supply line...
    I use an external pump on my drain line (which waters my grass outside), but you could just hook up the drain hose and turn on the res pump...

;)

5. This is given that the nute mix is the same in both reservoirs. But then why have two chillers when both res are the same and connected? That would be like chilling just a single tote since the water pump will circulate the water in both totes anyway.

Given the scenario of running two res totes (one for veg and one for flower), the single chiller solution becomes much more difficult. I was even thinking of ways to devise a switching mechanism but I may just go with two chillers to save the headache.

6. #6 jollyrancher1, Jul 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2011
    I use a chiller on my two tanks (3 plants per tank).

Totes are crap (but they serve a purpose).

7. Oh ya, great point!!
    I just kind of assumed they were and didn't question it...

8. What about running the chiller in a closed loop, and using a copper coil in each res?

9. Cannot use copper in a res...
    The copper bleaches into the nutrient....

Only Stainless Steel... ;)