Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Chill with the aluminum foil pieces.

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by ChokeNSmoke, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Aluminum foil fucken trashes your lungs. When smoking out of an aluminun foil piece the aluminun foil burns along with the weed. This weed/aluminum smoke eats away at your lungs much stronger than weed smoked from a blunt,bong..ect. I know this out of personal experience. Smoking out of aluminum foil pieces long enough will make your lungs bleed. When I was heavy into the aluminum foil pieces (b/c my bowl was broken and my parents found my bongs) I would be hocking up loogies and there would be blood in those loogies. Just want to give a heads up to anyone using aluminum foil pieces. I was ignorant to how bad it was for a long time but once I saw that I was spitting up blood I knew it needed to stop. So i got me a nice glass bong. Again aluminum foil + weed = bloody lungs. DONT DO IT! Ooh and also smoking aluminum foil is toxic. Peace and love to all my fellow-mellow stoners.

2. Word bro. I heard this somewhere else but wasnt sure if it was true. Never too big on using foil but will definitely do more to avoid it. Thanks for the confirmation on this.

3. Cans don't give up as much fumes, they've been hardened. Watch out for the paint and other things on top of the aluminum though.

The fumes can give you alzheimer's over time, as well.

If you somehow lost all your glass, roll a jay rather than use aluminum foil.

4. The ones I am talking about are the pieces with any kind of plastic bottle and the aluminum foil put over the top pushed in to make a bowl. But cans aern't good for you either.

5. I graduated high school with this girl who basically only used aluminum pipes too, needless to say I chose the non-toxic method of going out and buying my own glass spoon. Also, wouldn't this thread do more good in the Toking Tools section or maybe apprentice? Just a suggestion.

6. Thats all i use to smoke out of cuz i couldnt get papers or a bong at the time.Iam sure glad i did stop useing those though one of my frnds when to far with it and he was in the hospital for a few days.

7. Thank you!! i didnt know that but im definitley going to change my homeade bong where i put my bowl in it instead of a aluminum foil thing,thank you so much

8. Yeah, same. Thanks, man

9. i used to be known round the hood as the king of aluminum foil peices. they were very exquisite... never coughed up blood from alum tho. booze ciggs(1.5packs per day) and pills will have you coughin up blood tho

10. For a long time, aluminum foil has been a useful material in the construction of handmade bowls for pipes and bongs. Although it's not as pretty or effective as glass or ceramics, it has the advantage of being a very workable material and can be molded into a variety of shapes. The biggest area of concern for some smokers, though, has been the fear of somehow inhaling toxins from the heated foil during smoking. This article will examine potential dangers from smoking out of an aluminum foil bowl and whether or not concern is grounded in reality.

Although there are many varieties of aluminum foil on the market, it's fairly safe to assume that the majority of household bong makers will be using Reynolds Wrap for an aluminum foil bowl. This brand, as well as most other kitchen-use aluminum foil is over 99% pure aluminum. However, be cautious of the kinds of foil on the market now that offer innovations such as nonstick surfaces, for these might contain chemicals or materials other than the metal. The relative chemical purity of household aluminum foil will help us in our investigation.

The temperature of the average naptha lighter flame varies depending on the region of the flame itself. Naptha is a common lighter fuel used by common cigarette lighters such as Bic lighters. The thin outer blue region of the flame reaches temperatures of 1400 C (2552 F), while the inner red layer reaches temperatures of about 800 C (1442 F). The majority of a naptha-fueled lighter flame is orange or yellow, which runs somewhere in the middle of the two aforementioned temperatures. Candle temperatures are comparable to naptha lighters and match flame temperatures are slightly lower.

Although these temperatures seem extremely hot by most daily standards, they are not capable of chemically-altering your aluminum foil bowl. Regular household aluminum foil does not contain different chemicals such as those contained in decorative foils. Therefore, all that the flame has to act on is the aluminum, which has a boiling point of 2519 C (4566 F). An element's boiling point is the threshold at which its atoms are excited into a gaseous state. In other words, the only way to get toxic aluminum fumes into the air is to heat the solid aluminum to the temperature of its boiling point. Even butane lighters which employ hotter (primarily blue flames) do not burn hot enough to reach this threshold. Furthermore, when you light plant matter in a bowl, you are holding the primarily orange/yellow part of the flame slightly above the aluminum itself, which will cause the actual heat reaching the bowl to decrease dramatically. This temperature is comparable to grilling vegetables on a gas grill wrapped in aluminum foil, a practice that has been deemed safe for consumers and is often advertised as a common use for the foil.

11. Back in middle school before we even knew what pieces were my friends and I always made foil pipes, thankfully those days are over.

^but the post above me makes it sound like foils not as bad as stoners once thought but I don't think it's a good idea regardless. Using a glass bowl seems like a better more effective tool anyway,

12. it's not the aluminum thrashing your lungs. you do not get any fumes off of aluminum. the only difference is the smoke you inhale will be shit loads hotter than from a glass pipe, because the metal heats up and dispels way more heat than glass.

hot smoke is harsh smoke.

13. if you want to see what you are putting in ur lungs, just burn a sheet of foil, that black smoke kills

14. A lighter doesn't burn hot enough for aluminum foil to release fumes.

15. i just never smoke with foil. haha
    maybe like 1o times max after 3+ years...

16. Even if it MIGHT be safe, why take the chance that you are smoking aluminum? Unless you have no other options, its just plain retarded.

It tastes bad, looks bad, and inhaling vaporized aluminum can lead to Alzheimers ``

17. http://forum.grasscity.com/seasoned-tokers/440445-al-not-harmful.html

sorry bout your experience though.

18. Loogies don't come from your lungs. hocking up bloody loogies comes from your sinuses, I've done it before. You're a moron, also.

19. i smoke glass/stone but, the point you are missing is that in order for AL to outgas it has to reach the melting point. and even a torch lighter cant melt AL.
    I know it tastes different, that swhy i dont use it, i prefer glass. but it is perfectly safe, just as safe as glass/stone.

20. Glad I only use bible paper :)