Chickens

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Gardy Gardinia, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Hehe, do chickens like cuddling? Can they actually behave like affectionate pets?

2. Ya know.. I started to think about this question ... I am not a cuddler so it sort of went over my head! My chickens enjoyed being petted.. Like my cats & dog. I don't cuddle them tho. :D

3. Yes, they do.

Roosters are a different story, once they hit sexual maturity they become aggressive towards all other animals. Which sucks, because before that time, they're the most fun.. You can get them to tolerate your presence, but they'll still kick and fight.

4. I want chickens! We live in a two person home upstairs, the people downstairs own the house so I don't know where we would put chickens haha.

5. the coolest part about them, is taking them to an open space so they can forage.

You wouldn't believe just how good chickens are at catching food. Mine loved the park, he would run around catching bees and other insects in the clover.

As he got older, he got better at catching things, eventually catching lizards.

6. How do chickens fare in colder weather?

7. [quote name='"SniperKitty"']How do chickens fare in colder weather?[/quote]

Fine. They huddle in the coop to stay warm. We're in central Indiana.. So it can drop to -5. I bring them inside.. Cuz I hate the thot.

8. Yeah I'm in southern Ohio so we are a little warmer.... I really want chickens *sigh*

9. Are you in town? Many towns/cities have zoning laws & don't allow them. Pretty area.. My sis lives in Bright IN. outside of Cincinnati. I'd like to explore the Ohio River Valley.. We live bet close to the Wabash River.. It's very cool.. I'm out shortly to take a bald eagle spying excursion.

10. I can't wait until my son gets older and we can do stuff like that, I saw a wild bald eagle flying over my car in Florida, I was surprised they live down there too because nobody thought it was nearly as cool as I did :(

We live in a "village" which I don't know what it's considered as. I know there are people who raise chickens across the highway but our place is like right in the middle of town not the outskirts. But there are a lot of horses and stuff so I'm not really sure what the rules are here. I know where I used to live in Florida and Texas it wasn't allowed to have farm animals, but this isn't anywhere near what those cities were.

11. Oh yeah. Bright is considered a village too.. Dunno the govt regarding that. I am in awe over the reintroduction of bald eagles in our area.. I see the a lot these days.. Several nesting sites in our area.. The nests are huge..

12. I love redtail hawks too.. When my son wAs still in a car seat we use to take roadtrips to spy birds .. It's how I got him to nap! :D

13. Yeah we plan on doing a lot more once the weather gets warmer, he's only been walking a few months but wants to explore, that's hard when he's still small, doesn't walk well, and it's freezing. So soon we will be outside, we are going crazy in here.

Where I lived in Texas they had no eagles, if you saw one it was a pet. So when I moved to Florida and saw one fly over my car I literally stopped in the middle of the street. It was huge, it's different seeing them flying free instead of inside a cage, it was so beautiful. You see a lot of different birds and eagles here in Ohio, you probably would have seen a lot more birds of prey in the remote areas of Texas though but the first wild eagle I saw was the Bald Eagle, they are beautiful for sure, take pictures!

14. I got some photos of a momma b eagle sitting on her eggs in the nest. The nest was over 100 yrds away so they aren't the greatest but when I get them off the camera I will post. I also got a few good shots of redtail hawk (also known as chicken hawks :-0) and turkey vultures. Twas a nice long ride.

15. how do you deal with chicken shit when they are inside ?

16. lol. I put them in the shower. Then bleach the hell out of it!

17. Since I have only 3 chickens, our small coop is movable. It has a slightly raised hardware cloth floor. All the dropping fall through to the ground and we move the coop about every 4 or 5 days (2 or 3 days in summer). The pen part has hogwire as a on-the-ground floor. The chickens happily eat the lawn and any bugs they find.

If you have below freezing weather, look for chickens with "pea combs". They are less prone to frost-bitten combs and lose less body heat, too.

Granny

18. You can housebreak virtually every species of bird on earth.

Especially chickens. Mine knew to use either the tub or the toilet, he'd fly up onto the tank and hang has ass over the bowl.