Chickens

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Gardy Gardinia, Jan 19, 2013.

1. My grandparents had a farm when they were younger and had a rooster when my older brother was little. His name was Big John and he was mean as shit lol. A little anecdote… there was a well house about 10ft from the house. There were bushes on the side of the house so there was about a 3ft corridor between the buildings. My brother was about 4 walking between there, looking at his feet and shit like kids do. He looks up and Big John is right in front of him staring him down. He had nowhere to run and got his ass kicked by a rooster lol

2. Yeah.. Kids & roosters are often a bad combo!

I've had roosters jump on me when I turned my back on them to walk away. The only thing I learned to do was act like a rooster and charge his ass..

3. Yeah they don't come like that outta the egg ya know?

4. I had about 10 chickens about a year back and built a cage for them and let them roam the yard. They were pretty cool animals to mess around with. Sadly about 4 of them were snatched up by neighborly owl. It was actually kinda funny to watch them whenever they would see a shadow fly across or hear some type of other bird like a hawk they would all scatter and hide everywhere. Some would run into the cage, some would jump into the garden and hide was pretty fun. Although they always always felt the need to chill in our garage and shit EVERYWHERE.

5. No house chickens for us, but we have a pretty massive coop that is divided with 1/4 of the coop for 10 laying hens and the other 3/4 for 2 dozen broilers. We just killed all the broilers the other day and the layers are still going strong - ~10 months in and they're still doing at least 1 egg a day, some are laying 2 eggs a day. Once they stop laying we usually kill them and make dog food since they can be pretty tough when they get old.

6. Does anyone here likes chickens?

I mean LIKE chickens?

Omega369 :wave:

7. I've read of people who do this with ducks, geese, even swans. From the pictures they post and the stories they tell, they've had some pretty rewarding relationships with their birds.

If I ever had enough room, and the time to make a commitment to another animal, it's something that I might even think about trying. As far as I'm concerned it's like keeping a larger, free range canary. :D

8. [quote name='"Omega369"']Does anyone here likes chickens?

I mean LIKE chickens?

Omega369 :wave:[/quote]

Ummm... Ew?

9. image-1300899795.jpg

The farmers we bought these from kept referring to them as 'fryers'. So we named the rooster Friar Tuck. The hens were Mother Theresa, Virgin Mary, & Mary Magdaline.

10. [quote name='"camtheman"']I had about 10 chickens about a year back and built a cage for them and let them roam the yard. They were pretty cool animals to mess around with. Sadly about 4 of them were snatched up by neighborly owl. It was actually kinda funny to watch them whenever they would see a shadow fly across or hear some type of other bird like a hawk they would all scatter and hide everywhere. Some would run into the cage, some would jump into the garden and hide was pretty fun. Although they always always felt the need to chill in our garage and shit EVERYWHERE.[/quote]

Ours were GREAT at disappearing when a hawk flew over.

11. I had a half dozen chickens a few years ago. My gilrlfriend and I always had plenty of eggs. We'd sell the excess eggs and use the money to buy chicken feed. It was a lot of fun and I would like to have some more some day.

12. lol yeah i know! They would stay hidden for a few minutes then just all of them would come out of hiding, pretty smart of them actually.

13. I had 7 rhode island reds 2 turned out to be roosters so we gavethem away. But they were sooo chill like id be sitting on the porch and one would just jump on my lap and just lay there and let me pet them and stuff. But then.... They Sorta burnt my house down. No joke that sorta turned me off from them forever. Oh yeah and inlived like in a downtown part of a town like house 100 feet from your house. It got interesting...

14. I love chickens Eddie!

'Too blessed to be stressed'

15. LOL.. Chicken Arsonists

16. yeah i gots 2 rhode island reds, i did have 3 but the neighbors dog got to one, but yeah they are so funny and cute, and super sociable. Usually when i get home and go to the back yard the run to me to say hi and will follow me around, they require like no attention really besides providing the food and water. I got mine around spring but didnt start laying until about a month ago. Yesterday we found a hidden stash of eggs that they laid in another place, we thouhgt that maybe some sort of animal was snatching the eggs or something.

these are my chickens they are funny

Attached Files:

• chic.jpg
      chic.jpg
      File size:
      108.2 KB
      Views:
  17. Anyone have pictures of their coop they'd like to share? Or advice on building one? I think I'm going to build one this spring/summer for my mom. I've read about them so I know the basic structures needed, I was just wondering if anyone had more specific input from their experience.

18. Here's the only pic I could find on hand..

image-3978292378.jpg

19. [quote name='"davidtokehead"']yeah i gots 2 rhode island reds, i did have 3 but the neighbors dog got to one, but yeah they are so funny and cute, and super sociable. Usually when i get home and go to the back yard the run to me to say hi and will follow me around, they require like no attention really besides providing the food and water. I got mine around spring but didnt start laying until about a month ago. Yesterday we found a hidden stash of eggs that they laid in another place, we thouhgt that maybe some sort of animal was snatching the eggs or something.

these are my chickens they are funny[/quote]

:D. They are funny! Lookin at you like that. Lookin at your strange white facial hair covering your entire face.. hahaha