Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

chemo & heart issues, should I help him?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by SlamDaddy, Jan 16, 2011.

1. A good friend of mine recently had a tumor removed from his colon and starts chemo in a few weeks. I suggested that I may be able to find some edibles to help with his pain, nausea, etc. He said he may take me up on that offer. He's a business man and hasn't smoked weed in about 20 years.

After his surgery he had to go back in the ER a few times cuz he was having trouble with his heart. I didn't know he had heart issues when I made the offer to hook him up with edibles.

Here's my dilemma: I know cannabis should be taken with caution if there's heart problems. I don't want to see him suffer from the chemo but I also don't want to be responsible for him dying of a heart attack as a result of ingesting weed. Should I get him edibles or tell him he's on his own?

:confused::confused::confused:

2. #2 Storm Crow, Jan 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2011
    READ!

Cannabinoids. II. Cardiovascular Effects (full - 1980)
    http://jpet.aspetjournals.org/conte...c235b602119e4f9b8c62c04d&keytype2=tf_ipsecsha

Endogenous cannabinoids mediate hypotension after experimental myocardial infarction (full - 2001)
    Endogenous cannabinoids mediate hypotension after experimental myocardial infarction -- Wagner et al. 38 (7): 2048 -- Journal of the American College of Cardiology

(OK, that one's title is a toughy. Translated it means -The natural cannabinoids help the body correct blood pressure after scientists purposely create a heart attack.)

Activation of cannabinoid receptors decreases the area of ischemic myocardial necrosis. (abst - 2002)
    Activation of cannabinoid receptors decreases the ... [Bull Exp Biol Med. 2002] - PubMed result

(Having cannabinoids in your system lessens the area of damage in a heart attack.)

Cannabinoids prevented the development of heart failure in animal study
    (news - 2003)
    International Association for Cannabis as Medicine

Anandamide reduces infarct size in rat isolated hearts subjected to ischaemia–reperfusion by a novel cannabinoid mechanism (full - 2005)
    Anandamide reduces infarct size in rat isolated hearts subjected to ischaemia

(Anandamide, a cannabinoid your body makes naturally, works very much like THC. The two can often substitute for each other.)

Marijuana Chemical Fights Hardened Arteries (news - 2005)
    Marijuana Chemical Fights Hardened Arteries

Cannabis use not associated with risk factors for diseases of heart and circulation
    (news - 2006)

THC protects heart cells in the case of lowered oxygen supply (news - 2006)

Cannabinoid Offers Cardioprotection (news - 2006)
    Cannabinoid Offers Cardioprotection, Study Says - NORML

Heavy Cannabis Use Not Independently Associated With Cardiovascular Risks
    (news - 2006)
    Heavy Cannabis Use Not Independently Associated With Cardiovascular Risks - NORML

Cannabidiol Attenuates Myocardial Dysfunction, Fibrosis, Inflammation, Cell Death and Interrelated Signaling Pathways Associated With Diabetic Cardiomyopathy (abst - 2009)
    Abstract 3829: Cannabidiol Attenuates Myocardial Dysfunction, Fibrosis, Inflammation, Cell Death and Interrelated Signaling Pathways Associated With Diabetic Cardiomyopathy -- Rajesh et al. 120 (10018): S868 -- Circulation

There's a lot more in my list (first link in my sig), but reading those should answer your questions.

Granny :wave:

3. #3 yoctown, Jan 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  4. Any time someone smokes your heart rate elevates....regardless of how cannabinoids help peoples health if a heart is under a lot of stress you do not want to stress it more by making it pump quicker than it needs to...If your friend wants try it you should let him know it will get rid of his nausea and help with the pain of chemo but also inform him of the risks using cannabis to his hearts.

5. The rise in heart rate is short lived, and may be due to the inhalation of CO2, and other combustion products. Walking up a flight of stairs, watching an exciting movie, or even thinking about having sex also can raise the heart rate about like cannabis- if he can manage those levels of stress, he should be fine.

Vaporizing, using tinctures, or edibles would, of course, be preferable! Check under "Methods of Use" for tincture recipes, recipes for all sorts of medicated foods, and the actual data on just how much better vaporizing is compared to smoking! I could tell you all about it, but I'd rather have you click that fist link in my sig and start educating yourselves! :p

6. #6 tharedhead, Jan 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2011

Hearts? Won't he just regenerate then?
    [​IMG]

Seriously, they used to advise heart patients not to take caffeine for pretty much the same reasons (increased heart rate) then this study came out and now they have no idea what to tell them...:D

http://www.ajcn.org/content/85/2/392.abstract

Medicine, its a work in progress....

7. Very interesting.

I determined that when I smoked it both relaxed me and brought my heart rate down to where I could actually drink coffee when I was in Amsterdam this past summer. The meds my previous doctor had me on did not allow me to drink coffee with caffeine, my heart rate would increase by about half from 60 to about 90 beats per minute. We hit a cafe, and I was good and had a non caffeine herbal tea, but the coffee smelled so good, and it had been months since I had a cup of coffee - one thing led to another and I ended up with a cup of coffee. I felt my heart rate increase, and then the blunt went around [all pot, no tobacco in it] so I partook and my heart rate dropped almost immediately, and stayed 'normal' the rest of the early afternoon.

I really trying to arrange it that my husband and I can move to northern California [where he is originally from] so I can get a card and really work on dealing with the chronic pain, and perhaps using grass to help lower my BP and get me off some of the damned pills I have to choke down 4 times a day. I am definitely going to keep copies of these references and perhaps manage to find a doctor that will work with me to use grass to help my health improve. [and I really miss coffee ... I cant drink decaf, it tastes like ass.]

8. Thats someones life, you nor anyone on grasscity, even with a plethora of links should make that call.

You could seriously fuck him up, even if in normal circumstances weed would be good who knows, maybe theres something else the doctor knows but you dont

tell him to talk to his doctor, dont listen to grasscity

9. Yeah, that's kinda what I was thinking. I wouldn't be able to look myself in the mirror if I gave him cannabis and he died of heart failure after taking it. I guess the ball's in his court.

10. Print up the studies, give them to him and let him take them to his doctor and discuss the matter!