Chemical taste after cleaning bong :(

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by TheTokingJaggon, Aug 21, 2016.

1. Hello everyone! First post on Grasscity, I actually need some help/advice. I've been cleaning my bongs with alcohol and salt for years, usually without any problems.
    I just got a new piece with a couple halo percs, and it hits like a dream. Its really nice! But.. I went to the smoke shop, and the chick told me this Resinate Glass Cleaner was her favorite.
    I got home, used it, and my glass was SQUEEKY clean. I sat down to toke.... And It just tasted like straight chemicals! I rinsed this thing out a quintillion times, but it still stuck to it.
    Any thoughts? Is it the product or am I just not used to cleaning my new piece (This is my biggest piece yet)? It sucks because it totally takes away from the weed taste :'(

Much appreciated!!!

2. use some agressive solvant to wash it, like nail polish remover (acetone) then rinse the shit out of it for a couple of minutes with lukewarm water... if this doesn't do the trick nothing will

3. Hmm.... Will try soon! @simpsonsdidit I'll let you know how that goes.

4. use hot hot water and extra thick salt. shake it aggressively and repeat. you'll avoid the chemical taste and be happier. hot water, maybe a little rubbing alcohol and salt works pretty well. i've even used GooGone but you REALLY have to wash it out before your next toke or you smell/taste it :(

5. I always use warmed up 99% iso to wash my rig and acetone for when I use flowers (I collect reclaim but not tar, ew)
    I never experienced a chemical taste after throughly rinsing with sink hot water for a couple of minutes. Using such solvant means you only have to shake for about 30 seconds, to me that's a win

6. I'd have to recommend Grunge Off, stuffs amazing and reusable. Leaves no chem taste or anything. Especially good for soaking pieces.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  7. iso and salt....

• Like Like x 2
  8. just make sure you rinse it real well with warm water after cleaning

9. That stuff they sell at heads hops is always way too strong and I have to rinse it with is after the clean to get it to taste good.

Iso will do the trick as you know.

• Like Like x 1
  10. all you need. Costs $5 for both and you get at LEAST 10 good washes out of it... and even then, all you'd need to do is buy more iso.

11. I failed to mention Kosher salt, wouldn't want someone trying table salt lol The Kosher is larger grains works much better.

12. I use 420Cleaner and it took a good 20 minutes of patient rinsing to get it out, but I know your pain, those chemicals do not smell/taste good at all and makes me cautious cause I don't wanna poison myself lol hope you get it toking clean

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

13. Nth-ing the isopropyl alcohol and coarse salt. Heck I even keep the used IPA in a tub to soak particularly nasty pieces in over night. Then rinse with clean IPA and after it has all evaporated, I soak and rinse with hot water.

14. never seen it abbreviated IPA I had to think for a second was he saying ISO but autocorrect was fixing it? Nothing wrong with it just always see is as ISO lol.

15. 420 cleaners is junk. Tastes and smells your bong up pretty bad of chemicals too

I use ISO or bong master(sold at grasscity) also i use Randy's black label.

Any cleaning solution worth using will have strong chemicals. Randy's uses acetone with i love.

Always clean your bong with warm and hot water after you use the cleaners.

I reccomend another product, it's called smoke soap. Sold at 420 science. It's an organic soap, smells fantastic. I clean my bong with this stuff after i use ISO or acetone. Takes any bad smells/ tastes out. This stuff is highly concentrated so you only need a small amount per cleaning. Once i clean with this i know my bong is safe to smoke from. AGAIN, i still clean it out again with warm and hot water, to get any of the organic soap out.

I'm so good at cleaning glass i actually enjoy doing it.

Oh another tip, i haven't tried it with Randy's, but the bong master cleaner will make your toilet bowl shine like the day you bought it.

16. Imagine the look on my face when the guy at the liquor store wanted to sell me India Pale Ale and referred to it as IPA...

I generally refer to it as IPA because that is the abbreviation most suppliers here use, I guess it avoids confusion with isobutyl compounds.

18. Doesn't look 100% clean from picture, but none the less. I used the stuff like 10 years ago, I remember the taste it left. I remember needing to use a lot to clean effectively. But that taste you can't get out.

Im just a hater because it's so commercialized and that it's one of the first products on the market. Since 10 years we've gotten some nice products to replace 420 cleaner.

19. I just cut open dishwasher packs (ones with the gel inside) dump half in ,fill with hot or boiling water,wait ten minutes and it just dissolves all the resin. Then give it a rinse and use the other half of the dishwasher pack if needed

• Like Like x 1
  20. It isn't completely clean, especially the stem part (I got kinda lazy and didn't feel like finding a paper clip) but it's what my local headshop recommended, plus it did a pretty damn good job where I need it the most. I know that 97+% alcohol and iso or ebsom salts are better options but I figured since I had never cleaned a piece prior (my first bong is still alive and I didn't clean him for a year friend wanted it so I just gave it to him) so I just wanted a name brand cleaner. Won't use it again after the taste and smell lol but I'm getting an ashcatcher for Christmas to help slow the process