Chemical Equation of vaporized Weed

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by xtully420, May 4, 2011.

1. ^^ anybody have an equation of the above said?

Plant Matter+ heat -----> H2O + THC

haha im high!:smoke:

2. Living materials have literally thousands of chemicals. There is no such answer to the question you're asking.

3. #3 xtully420, May 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2011
    ah c'mon I wanted to post a general equation on facebook but I've only studied non-organic chemistry

p.s It's Always Sunny is hilarious!

And to say there is no such answer is not good to say.. There is no such an answer available due to enumerate number of chemicals that exist in the equation to be accurate

4. I tip my hat to you, sir. You are correct. :D

5. haha thanks bro.. I'm an agnostic, soon to be philosophy major.. I mean, we cant truly know every component in a chemical equation unless we perform tests on a certain experiment.. the point of our knowledge is that we have the ability to figure out, on a macro, and even micro level, how the world is, with us interacting with it.

6. I was mainly talking about the ideas in quantum mechanics and Kant's metaphysics of reality and perception

7. Chemical equation for vaporizing THC:

THC(s) --> THC(g)

Not much to it. ;)

8. so, your just examing the physical part.. or phase change.. haha can you think about a more difficult one accounting for thc(s) + hot air ----> thc + h20

9. thats not true at all

its just not practical/affordable (or legal for most people) to actualy do the tests required

however while there are indeed 1000's of chemicals, not all of them vaporize at the same temperature

the important thig is that your not getting things like co- supposedly

however the weed turns brown and eventualy black, is this oxidation? if so isnt there the possibility for co- to form? or is it rare without the flame

10. #10 chiefton8, May 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2011
    Again, THC(s) plus hot air gives you THC(g). Not sure where the water is coming from since it's just a phase change, as you said.

If you're talking about the decarboxylation of non-psychoactive THCA to make the psychoactive THC, then it would be something as shown below. This is why you need to heat weed (with a lighter, vaporizer, an oven or stove top if you're making edibles, etc) before ingesting it and why we don't just eat it straight up.

[​IMG]

If you're talking about basic combustion like all organic compounds will do under high heat, then it's something like this:
    THC(s) + O2 --> xCO2 + yH2O.
    Not sure on the proper stoichiometry (x and y) for the combustion reaction though. Too busy in the lab atm to do the math.

11. I would not think of it as oxidation but I'm not certain either.. Chem 2 and my level of understanding, are not very far reaching into the world of chemical equations and equilibrium..

12. haha no need for stoich, Unless you would like to be persue your very own self-interest of speaking in truths, in our space-time limited reality.

The whole idea of the reaction creating water is the chemical itself forming vapor, but I guess it is in solid state, then instantly from solid to gas, which is sublimation, correct me if I'm wrong? So essentially the same chemical is being physically changed, thats why it appears as vapor or heated moisture AND thc.. haha, stoned yet again! :smoke:

13. I've only come into semi-difficult reactions which involved molecular compounds and polymers.. But my question is 1. THCA-A , which element or compound due the A's stand for. 2. Can you explain how THCA-A ---> THC, Im confused where those "A" molecules went, conservation of mass need be up held?!

14. Vapor is just a gaseous substance that is typically a liquid or solid at room temp/pressure. Water is one example of such a substance that can be vaporized. THC is another example. Alcohol would be a third. In other words, the act of "vaporizing" something has nothing to do with giving off water. It just means it goes from a solid or liquid into the gaseous state. Hence why vaporizing weed is just THC(s) --> THC(g). No water whatsoever.

The "A" in THCA refers to "acid", i.e. the carboxylic acid (CO2) group present in structure on the left. Then notice under the arrow it says, "loss of CO2 gas", and in the right panel the CO2 is no longer bonded to the THC moiety. I know you're high and all, but this reaction, and the whole vaporization thing, is a lot simpler chemistry than the semi-difficult reactions with polymers you refer to...just sayin'.

15. When plant matter turns to ash, oxidation is exactly what is happening. As I stated in my previous post, this is nothing more than basic combustion, i.e. the process of molecular oxygen reaction with carbon-based compounds to produce water and CO2.

16. Yeah! seems you are correct, thank you for sharing this information.

17. Consequently vaporizing is more efficient because less of the thc is being destroyed

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app