Chefziggys First Grow - NSAF/SIP/Organic

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by ChefZiggy, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Another problem has cropped up. What would be making the leaves on the autos look like this?

1394151566322.jpg 1394151576247.jpg 1394151588660.jpg

Sent from somewhere over there.
    No, not there...over THERE.

2. Falling behind again... is that damage widespread? Or just a few leaves? Looks like it could be bug damage. But it's hard to say. If it is just one or two leaves, I wouldn't think it is a major problem.

3. #103 ChefZiggy, Mar 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2014
    It started out on one, the last image. But I'm seeing it on several of the fan leaves around the tips. I have been misting them with the lights on so that may be it. My dark time is from 2am till 6am so that's out. Figured the fan would dry them off quick enough to avoid light burn.

It seems to be on the older fan leaves only. So far...

4. Damn man.... that's a tough one.... I'm pretty certain it has nothing to do with you misting your plants.  Unless you used an oil-based foliar?  That would cause leaf damage if done with lights on.

It being the oldest leaves rules out heat or light burn..... It sort of looks like sulfur deficiency, but I certainly wouldn't jump to that conclusion.  I'd take those pics and post them in the organic lounge, see if you can get some of the really experienced growers to chime in.  That's an odd way for a leaf to act lol

5. Well do. It is on more than I thought too.

6. General update pic post.

The NSA's at 23 days from sprout.  They are the only ones showing the leaf damage which is what puzzles me.  If it were insects I would expect the Bagginses to be affected too.  Same thing (to a little lesser degree) for the soil being the problem.  Maybe the Auto's are just tender?

NSA1-23.jpg   NSA2-23.jpg   NSA3-23.jpg

And here are the aforementioned Bagginses.  Twisted Sister is the last one.  These are 39 days from sprout.  The LST is really making them bush up.  I probably should move them to bigger pots, but I don't want to until I have room for them or they force me to.  I'd prefer to only transplant any females I might have.

BS1-39.jpg   BS2-39.jpg   BS3-39.jpg   TS-39.jpg

And an overall shot, just because.

Garden2.jpg

7. Decided to go ahead and transplant Baggins #2 and Twisted Sister into the the remaining two #5 pots since they are the bushiest and I need more room to continue my LST experimenting. Both had roots coming out of the bottom like this. After watering them in I set them outside in a nice sunny corner to drain. I'm betting they won't even blink.

1394291805651.jpg

8. As I suspected, they didn't bat an eye at the transplant.  They look happy in their new homes and the LST continues.  Probably going to start topping the larger branches too.  I sure hope these are female because they are going to be beasts.

Baggins #2
    BS2-ATP.jpg

Twisted Sister
    TS-ATP.jpg

9. I had some spots like that on mine. It eventually went away on its own. Don't know if it was something I did or if they were just like that when they were young.

So I guess that's not really helpful. lol

10. Maybe this is just me being paranoid, but is this indicative of a problem? The newest growth on the NSA's is corkscrewing. And a couple of the smaller flowers look a bit deformed too. Is this more of the oil/light damage?

1394500443975.jpg 1394500463665.jpg 1394500479544.jpg 1394500499680.jpg

They also look a bit like they are clawing.

1394500512354.jpg

11. what are you misting them with, Ziggy? I can see the residue on the leaves, and sorry if you mentioned it already.

The reg teens  are looking great! Not sure about deformed growth...

12. Every now and then I mist with a little water and ProTekt. That's it.

I did top dress with a little EWC and neem seed meal yesterday.

13. If the residue on your leaves is white, it could just be calcium carbonate if you have somewhat hard water.

In the first pic, I think I see some yellow tips on the new leaves.... could be a nute-burn issue?  Never seen much corkscrewing like that

14. Haven't noticed it being hard. I don't have a meter, but here are some of the numbers from last year's water quality report.

pH 6.9
    TDS 151
    Hardness (calcium) 77.3mg/L
    Alkalinity 62

As for nutes, I haven't added any, but it is possible that the soil mix didn't cycle enough. The autos must just be more sensitive since they and the Baggins are in the same soil mix. In fact, the soil in the autos' pots had longer to cycle by about 20 days.

15. IMO, it looks like light/heat stress on the spots where your spray dripped/pooled.. but seeing as Gandalf ruled that out I could be wrong. Either way, it doesn't look like a big deal!

There's definitely some of that going on.  And like I said I may just be paranoid but this has to make some decent bud.  I've been dry since sometime in January when my contact disappeared, in spite of two or three people saying they could hook me up then never calling me back.

The universe is telling me to grow my own, apparently.

You're going to be extremely happy you started growing your own and you probably will never look back. Put time, love and work into your ladies and they will pay you back.

...just not too much time staring... its easy to overanalyze and overcorrect, sometimes. I'll take a seat in here  :smoke:

18. Welcome to the party. I know I'll be happier about it. And the way things are going I may not be committing a felony for too long. (I hope.)

These are all either free seeds (the NSA) or schwag seeds, so no great loss if they fail, but I hate failure. :) But my next run well be Thai Stick and White Rhino, so I need to learn all I can now. Those weren't cheap.

Damn, that sucks man. You've still got a while to wait. I can't hook you up (my guy doesn't like to meet new people and I don't sell what I grow) but I can smoke you out sometime.

I hope to be running some Thai Stick myself about the same time you are. I just germinated six more bags seeds though so I can see how my space does in the summer before I try it with expensive genetics. I've got the winter dialed in I think though.

20. I totally understand on both counts. (And won't turn down the offer.) I'm looking at this as an extended t-break.

My grow room is in the middle of my basement so I'm hoping the temps will stay pretty constant. Humidity may be the bigger issue. Depends on how often we need to get in and out from the outside. Right now I'm having to raise the humidity a bit do at least that I can leave out. Might have to go the other way and run a dehumidifier.