Chef Knives

Discussion in 'The Great Indoors' started by Weed_Beer_Metal, Sep 20, 2006.

1. OK, I've noticed that there are a lot of cooks on this forum, so i have a question for all you other restaurant guys out there.

I'm gonna buy a new chef knife, and I found one from a very reputable knife company. It's made of damascus steel. Here's a link: http://www.agrussell.com/knives/by_type/kitchen/a_g_russell_damascus_10_chefs_knife.html

So here are my questions

Has anyone here ever used/owned a Damascus knife? If so, what was your impression. One issue i am particularly concerned about is durablity. I'm not gonna be chopping bone with it, but shit happens in a busy kitchen and I don't want to spend 90 bux just to have it break when it hits the floor.

Also, I was wondering if anyone has ever had any experience with any other A.G. Russell kitchen knives and wants to share their thoughts.

Thanks for the help.

2. my mom uses the Santoku knife around the kitchen and she love it and when i use it for basic chopping its been very good. we've had it for awhile now and nothings happen to it, if anything it just needs a good sharpening. as ofor a chef's knife we have a Wustof and for the 4years we'd have it it hasnt broken or anything like that

3. I'm all about MAC knives.

Best, knives, ever.

But I've also used those knives, and their pretty sweet. I do find the blade has a tendancy to curl and needs to be honed fairly regularly, but aside from that their well worth the money.

4. The knife i like most out of all of them is D. i need a smaller knife like that, mine are huge. i just bought a bunch of knives becuz i m going to culinary school. i m not to sure what brand they are but they come from upstate new york this company. Dam things are sharp, i cut my finger when i accidently ran into my knife while picking up veggies. it was laying on it side and my finger tip just caught, cut me like a paper cut nice and deep. be careful with them

5. Here is my professional opinion. (10 years as a professional chef)

JA Henckels are the way to go. I would spend at least $100 on a knife. If you treat it well, keep it clean and sharp, it will last you a very long time.

You can also review other brands here...

http://www.cookingforengineers.com/article.php?id=129&title=Chef's+Knives+Rated

You may consider Japanese knives, as they are very well made.

6. or you could help out your young sales representative and buy from cutco.

or you can buy from cutco.com

theyre great, theyre american made, twice as longlasting and durable as Henkels..

i used to sell these knives, i could write a whole page on how they are THE BEST knives in the world, but im lazy.

7. I actually share someones opinon about JA Henkels. Wonderful knives excellent balance and durability. I use them at work constantly. Although recently I bought a new setmade by Wusthoff, and I amveryvery impressed. theoverall quality of the blade is superior tomost knivesI have used. The price tag on theset was $500, but worth it in my professional opinion. Do yourself a favor and look into Henkels or Wusthoff.

8. Wusthoff is ok, they make decent knives. I like their handles, looks good.

However my other Che has this knife and seems they spent time on finish and not blade...

Produces a lot of whiskers and metal not soft.

9. Love how you bump a thread from 06 haha...

I have a 6 inch Wusthof santoku. Durable knife, but the tang part gets pretty uncomfortable if you're chopping for a while

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Haha I thought the bump was hilarious, but at least he had something solid to contribute.

I think with the new forum sections if this conversation is to continue it should be tossed to Indoor Living with other cooking related stuff.

I thought I may have been holding improperly but the 6in Santoku I purchased has been pinching the fuck out of my hand between thumb/pointer finger. I feel like the short handle might be contributing to this

11. ^ dont listen to any of these guys say cutco and mac and what not....

Go with Japanese knives over German made. Japanese knives are way sharper and a little lighter. German are a lighter heaver (which some people like) and will keep its edge longer, but will NEVER be as sharp as a Japanese knife.

I use Shun and Kasumi knives...they are the best in my book...They are pretty damn expensive though. For a 8" chefs knife I paid $175.00.....pearing knife cost me $100....but they will last a life time and are RAZOR RAZOR sharp....it literally made me laugh when I was cutting stuff.....just slides so smooth through food with no effort at all.....trust me dude go with Japanese knives...they are the best.

This is my chefs knife...this is the 10"...I got the 8"

http://www.katom.com/largeproducts/194/194-tdm0707.jpg

12. old thread is old but as its been bumped already, am i the only person who like sabatier knives? :smoke:

13. My main knife is a 7" Santoku. Use it on both meat and veggies.

14. I second getting a set of Japanese knives. Depending on your budget you might actually get a blacksmith to forge them for you. I have a couple of them forged but the only bad thing is there is more maintenance as it is not stainless steel. Super sharp though! And damn sexy looking.
    Unfortunately I was a dumbass and now my usuba has a slight discoloration from leaving acidic food on it for too long :(

15. The traits that made stamped knives inferior in the past are now obsolete. You can get high quality, CHEAP stamped knives.

How you take care of a knife is more important than how much it costs or if some hermit in Japan made it.

Take care of that knife I posted and you'll be slicing and dicing like a pro for years...

16. I have a set of Dexter I-cut knives that I bought for culinary school back in the day....use them all the time and would recommend them.

17. This is a seven year old thread LOL!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

18. 13 if you could actually count.

19. No need to be dickish!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum